Turkey Fanning

groe

FNG
attachment.php

We hope many of you are getting excited to chase some big birds this spring. We have recently posted a new article on our website on getting started with fanning turkeys. Heads Up Decoy offers an excellent product for that technique. Over the next several weeks we will also be offering other articles that will be more specific to fanning turkeys. Fanning turkeys is an effective tool to have in your spring arsenal.

We are also excited to announce that we are offering Phelps Game Calls on our website for purchase. It's well known that they make great elk calls, but their turkey diaphragm calls are equally as awesome.

Good luck this spring!

Fanning Turkeys: Get Started

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
groe

groe

FNG
We are aware of that situation. That will be a part of one of our articles. "common sense" fanning.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I read that article, that shooter was an dangerous idiot, decoy or not. Obviously no beard on that turkey and he fired anyways.

I’m assuming if you have to identify a beard, that means you can’t shoot hens or young birds. So what was that prick going to do? shoot and then ask questions later?

Probably the kind a guy that shoots then buries what’s illlegal and keeps hunting until he gets a Tom.

Sounds like it wouldn’t of mattered it was a full rubber decoy, he’d shoot anyway.

My blood boils when I read this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
groe

groe

FNG
We posted my son's first turkey he cracked last spring. I generally use the decoy in the bow mount, but this was a traditional roost hunt with the Heads Up staked into the ground. Wind was howling so there was really no other way. Good Luck this spring. Here is the link to the blog. Video as well.

Heads Up Decoy | A Young Hunters First Turkey

GqFO9gx.jpg

CP6

FNG
Several states are looking at banning the use of a decoy within 5’ of the hunter for 2020. Make sure you check the new regulations for this upcoming spring.

CutBait

FNG
I personally have never tried fanning and at this time I do not intend on it. I fully understand that is just as safe - or dangerous - and the person doing it. I absolutely love fooling a bird through calling and prefer to leave the decoy at home. To be honest, I don't even know the last time I have shot a turkey with the use of a decoy, whether bow or shotgun. To each their own - if its legal and you can be successful, then go ahead and enjoy your time afield.

Fanning definately looks interesting but when someone is mimicking the game they're after it can only be assumed that some incidents will happen. Imagine sneaking through a soy bean field with a 12pt rack on your head, same thing. lol

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Fanning definately looks interesting but when someone is mimicking the game they're after it can only be assumed that some incidents will happen. Imagine sneaking through a soy bean field with a 12pt rack on your head, same thing. lol
My problem with people being against it is it doesn’t matter, I don’t care if it’s a full real mounted turkey. (Or deer Mount someone is using) You can still tell the difference. People need to be responsible when handling a weapon and KNOW your target/background before pulling the trigger

I've only ever done it to close distance in open fields. If somebody shoots me doing that they were going to shoot me if I was wearing full orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
WITH the tss hype nowadays it sure makes it a whole lot more dangerous. Where I'm from there are too many ELMER fudds walking around in the woods who have no business with a weapon to begin with. I'm sure not gonna put a fan up near me,I like my Old UGLY face too much.

I personally have never tried fanning and at this time I do not intend on it. I fully understand that is just as safe - or dangerous - and the person doing it. I absolutely love fooling a bird through calling and prefer to leave the decoy at home. To be honest, I don't even know the last time I have shot a turkey with the use of a decoy, whether bow or shotgun. To each their own - if its legal and you can be successful, then go ahead and enjoy your time afield.
Decoys for me screw up more hunts than they do help. Birds around me are always super educated by the 2nd to 3rd day of season, so much hunting pressure!!