** Looking For Some Turkey Gun Advice

Plj271

Lil-Rokslider
I am a first time turkey hunter and looking for recommendations for a solid reliable turkey gun. Leaning towards a semi-auto or over/under. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

MtnMuley

WKR
No need for a special shotgun specifically for turkeys as a newcomer. The 870 advice above solid. 835s work fine too. I own a couple specialized turkey guns because I'm stupid and still end up taking more birds with the traditional 870.

Hunter6

WKR
I use my duck gun which just shoots 3 inch shells and has a 28” barrel. I put in the full choke and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got an 870, 835 and a stoeger semi- always seem to take the 835. Second only to finding a load that patterns well for your gun would be a pistol grip imho. Seems to present a much more natural and controllable grip from a sitting position. Not that it matters all that much, but as the years have turned into decades, thats been one feature that im glad ive added. As far as the inexpensive shells go 3" federal copper plated #5's are the shit. None of the heavier than lead offerings pattern any better for me. I admit i generally shoot fancy ones just cause i figure its only 3 shots a year (one to check pattern and 2 to kill birds), so why not shoot what the fancy people shoot, but really no need. Enjoy your season and dont call too much once theyre coming in.

bradb

WKR
What do you have for shotguns now?
Basically anything will work and most any shells will work. Are there things that can gain you some yards, for sure, but not really needed.

OP
P

Plj271

Lil-Rokslider
What do you have for shotguns now?
Basically anything will work and most any shells will work. Are there things that can gain you some yards, for sure, but not really needed.

I have an older Mossberg 500 12 gauge with a 30" barrel and a newer 870 with an 18" barrel. How important are things like the camo finish or fiber optic sights?

bradb

WKR
30" is long but it would probably pattern great!.
I would probably use the 870, but either would be good turkey guns. Only thing that really matters is that there finish isnt' shiny. I could care less if I grab my black shot gun or my camo. Movement is what will get you caught. The sights as long as you can see them and they hit where your aiming do not matter. I do have a red dot sight on my little youth 20 gauge, but that was set up for youth hunts as a hope to keep them from peeking. The one thing sights can help with is when we run super tight chokes on turkey guns and at 20 yards the pattern is SUPER tight. A more rifle like aiming system can help with super tight patterns close. But again as long as you can shoot what you have to point of aim you are good. I shot one bird with Grand pas old single shot 16 gauge last year, no rear sight not front sight.(once is enough though!)

Sometimes when things are right you can kill em with a dust pan and broom while wearing a tuxedo. Camo matters more or less depending on the situation. If youre worried about it just grab some camo tape (ive liked the cloth kind in the past). Prob easiest to just try patterning both guns and see which one does best. Sights arent a must but they keep you centered in your pattern as the distance grows.

OP
P

Plj271

Lil-Rokslider
30" is long but it would probably pattern great!.
I would probably use the 870, but either would be good turkey guns. Only thing that really matters is that there finish isnt' shiny. I could care less if I grab my black shot gun or my camo. Movement is what will get you caught. The sights as long as you can see them and they hit where your aiming do not matter. I do have a red dot sight on my little youth 20 gauge, but that was set up for youth hunts as a hope to keep them from peeking. The one thing sights can help with is when we run super tight chokes on turkey guns and at 20 yards the pattern is SUPER tight. A more rifle like aiming system can help with super tight patterns close. But again as long as you can shoot what you have to point of aim you are good. I shot one bird with Grand pas old single shot 16 gauge last year, no rear sight not front sight.(once is enough though!)

Is the 18" barrel too short? What replacement length would you suggest?

bradb

WKR
18 is fine.

Like some one said take them out and pattern them. Always fun to go shoot!

bradb

WKR
I run Sumtoy. He is a great guy, call him up tell him what you plan on shooting for shells the gun ect and his recommendation will probably shoot great. If not he will switch it out for you.

Do you have some? If so go pattern them and they might do everything you want

N2TRKYS

WKR
I run Sumtoy. He is a great guy, call him up tell him what you plan on shooting for shells the gun ect and his recommendation will probably shoot great. If not he will switch it out for you.

Do you have some? If so go pattern them and they might do everything you want

I would quit hunting if all I could use was Sumtoy. I was not pleased at all with my dealings with him.

bradb

WKR
To each there own on any manufacture, that is why we have lots of choice. He has been nothing but great to deal with for me

Hesseltine32

Lil-Rokslider
I still use my nova Iv had since high school with no issues. I would recommend that or a 870. You do need to make sure you check the loads and chokes don’t just get a box of turkey loads and use a full choke that comes with the gun as you can be in for a surprise.