who has killed a turkey with a pellet gun?

boom

WKR
this is gonna be my year.

i am headed out today to confirm that my rifle is zeroed. i think 15 yards will be the optimum turkey range. my gun will bludgeon a turkey with a head shot. i get 850fps confirmed with my chronograph with a 20gr pellet.

i have a mil-dot scope. my strategy is to pick a comfy magnification and simply note which mil-dot hits at 15 yards, and make note of the 10 and 20 yarder..i'm gonna dumb it down like a bow sight.

is 15 yards about right? that is where 99% of my bow kills put me.

any tips? very little on the internet. lots of videos but very little how-to info..just grip/grins bragging rights stuff.

OP
B

boom

WKR
LOTS of jakes this year..i think i can finally take my first pellet gun bird. fingers crossed!!

OP
B

boom

WKR
please Lord..let a bird stand still at 15 yards.

i've been watching lots of videos. birds dont stand still as much as you think.

OP
B

boom

WKR
whoa..dont get so wordy all at once :D

was this shot legal?

K

Kootenay Hunter

That's legal method of take in your neck of the woods?

I've always wanted to. I'm shooting a Weirauch hw95 with jsb diablo match 8.44 grain. at 15 yards with iron sights i can put them in under 1/4 inch. your 20 grain pellet has a lot more power than mine.

OP
B

boom

WKR
i was hitting hovering wasp in NM while deer hunting. (cured the mid-day camp boredom) @15 yards.

that was with ZERO adrenaline dumping into my system..that same trip, i missed my buck at 150 yards with a flat shooting 257 weatherby magnum. i get buck fever bad now that i am older.

I have killed 2 with an old Benjamin back in the day when I worked for a City Water Treatment Plant. I got to check all the above ground reservoirs in the hills, so I needed something quiet. First one was walking back and forth at a fence at probably less than 20 yards. Finally got fustrated and shot and hit him. Shocked the sh!t out of me. I killed one other closer in strut. Both jakes.....and than, I couldn't hit them to save my life and started bringing the shotgun. I miss those days....

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
I have with a .17hmr and 22LR. The 22LR shot was 90 yards. Rimfires have little more behind them but they were bang-flop kills. I don't see how a shot in the vitals from a hunting airgun would not be just as effective.

OP
B

boom

WKR
very unhappy to report that i SUCK with a pellet rifle.

i had a giant tom sneak around and ended up10 feet away!! his head was bobbing and weaving like a young mohamed Ali...plus my mind went blank on what to do if a target is waaaaayyyy in close. i was sending pellets under his chin. they dont run at the "poof" sound. i'll try again this next saturday.

Flazer

FNG
Cool to see this post. This is my first year hunting Turks in CA. Using a shotgun, but also have an air rifle I'd like to use for squirrels, rabbits, and turks. Keep us updated!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk