Advice on yuma dove hunt 18

rlmmarine

WKR
My buddy and I fl residence are picking up our dad's 1 in ky and the other in Texas and heading to yuma for the dove opener. My dad's 82 and loves to dove hunt so I'm taking him to yuma on the advice from others. Any advise on where to go ect. Would be appreciated. I called the local game warden but he said it was to early for any advice from him. I'm just trying to ensure that it's a good trip. Thanks in advance.

There are tons of dove in Yuma during the dove hunt and you won't have any problems finding them, but there are also tons of hunters and hotel rooms are at a premium so get a reservation in way ahead of time. A lot of folks hunt the south mesa down within a couple of miles of Mexico south of Yuma, there are lots of areas around orchards etc. Also, some good spots north of town along the Gila and Colorado rivers near the farm fields. It is a fun hunt and you will get lots of shooting, most folks limit out quickly and some of the hotels even have dove cleaning stations, some cafes will cook your doves for you for dinner. Some basic rules to be aware of is there is no shooting within 1/4 mile of an occupied building or house and no shooting from or across an established public road, there are several citations issued every year for this. Make sure you pick up your empties and if you clean your doves in the field make sure to leave one wing attached so species can be identified. Have fun.

Mike

boom

WKR
dang..sounds like fun.

but why not NM? my brother limits out all the time..and they are the big white winged doves. public land. i'm gonna go this year. i havent blasted dove in a long time.

OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
dang..sounds like fun.

but why not NM? my brother limits out all the time..and they are the big white winged doves. public land. i'm gonna go this year. i havent blasted dove in a long time.

To be honest my dad was wanting to go on a good dove hunt and isn't much for traveling 83 yrs old I showed him randy newburg video and he was like let's due it. It's not often I get that kind of excitement out of him so I booked it then and there. Then my good friend decided to go and bring his dad as well so it should be a great family trip. If the video he watched would have said the artic circle that's were we would be heading. I just don't get that kind of reaction from him so when I did I booked it.

driving in your going to ask yourself how you haven’t hit 3000 birds. really can’t go wrong with where to go.

OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
Anyone else care to chime in on this. How easy is it to find land to hunt, knock on doors or does fish and wildlife have sponsored areas. The hotel has a dove hunters packet they hand out to all hunters which I thought was also pretty cool. Just a little nervousness on finding a spot
Thanks again to all

Head over to Sprague's Sports in Yuma, get some shells and talk to the guys there....they will point you in the right direction. Going to be a busy opener with it falling on Labor Day weekend. Have fun! Stay cool!

Old thread but curious how you guys did. Lot of birds? Ease of access? Probably taking my 11 year old down there this year to give it a go. Thanks!