NW Nebraska Turkey

TygerJ

FNG
Spent my freshman year of college at Chadron State before moving on to Colorado State. During my time in Chadron, I only participated in the fall turkey hunt. It’s been about 7 years, but I’d like to return this spring to the Chadron-area for a spring turkey hunt.

Any advice on good general places to check out, potential access to private, or other guidance would be graciously welcomed. I plan on hunting this DIY.

I’ll have onX to help from a maps perspective and have killed spring turkeys in CO...but any firsthand knowledge that anyone can share about this area would be awesome!

dtrkyman

WKR
I have not hunted that far west but hunt near Niobrara, I can still find a couple spots knocking on doors or talking with farmers or ranchers that are out and about, find some birds and determine who owns the land and get in contact with them. I got a landowners number from a small town hardware store once.

OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
I have not hunted that far west but hunt near Niobrara, I can still find a couple spots knocking on doors or talking with farmers or ranchers that are out and about, find some birds and determine who owns the land and get in contact with them. I got a landowners number from a small town hardware store once.

Thanks for the insight!

sveltri

WKR
If you're headed to Nebraska from Colorado, good luck! Even when I was stationed out there one quick look at my CO license plates and a quick NO was sure to follow. Not saying everyone out there is like that, just everybody I asked. Your results may vary.

sveltri

WKR
I actually killed my first turkey out in eastern Nebraska when I was stationed in Omaha on private land.. My buddy and I went out looking for birds prior to the season opening and located quite few pretty easily. We figured out which hose belonged to the farmer whose land it was and go knock on the door. Tell him what we're up to and he looks right passed us and says no. Well, we obviously weren't happy and knew exactly what happened. We go back the next weekend, same house same guy, different truck now with Florida plates. We ask, he looks at the lic plate and sees Florida and welcomes us to hunt anytime. At the end of the day we killed some stuff out there and were grateful for the opportunity, but it always bothered me. That has now happened a few times out there, like every other time. I could never stoop as low as putting a "BIG RED" sticker on my truck, maybe that would help. I hope you do well out there, there are some great birds to be had.

Thedeerfarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting. I've had guys knock on my door and ask to get on my whitetail land. Said no, and caught them on camera a couple days later. Thanks for the advice, I'll look around a little and see what I can find!