Best pack for archery turkey hunting

Vangysway

FNG
Well, to start off, I'm a complete rookie, so you'll have to forgive my naivety.

My main focus will be Southern CA Mule Deer and CU Elk hunting, however, I plan on doing some Turkey hunting as well. I'd imagine a 5000+ ci long range pack is not the right fit for day hunting turkey, so I'm curious to know what you guys use to pack in decoys, possibly a blind, and hopefully a bird.

I'll be doing my first turkey hunt on the 14th for the Colorado Spring opener. This also happens to be my first hunt ever. I purchased a Badlands Superday pack for full day turkey hunts, but now I'm wondering if this was the correct choice or not.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning from all of you experienced gobbler hunters.

-Alex

I carry my blind, chair, tripod, etc in a Blind Hog. I don't typically have to hike real long distances so I don't know how carrying the pack all day would be, but to carry all that stuff at once, it works really well.

sveltri

WKR
I've never packed a blind in, but last year my 14'r worked great for 2 inflated Avian-X dekes. If I were to pack a blind in, and gear, I think I could come up with a good way to get the blind between the frame and bag, and then carry everything else in the bag (with garb-it if necessary). Good luck on your hunt!

x33BCmP.jpg

Last edited:

boom

WKR
funny. my turkey pack-in is relatively short, but it is my suckiest.

i use my Mystery Ranch Dragonslayer. i fill the inside with stuff. lunch, ammo, etc. calls, binos.

outside, i strap on stuff beverly hillbilly style. my ground blind, my tiny blind chair. this year, add my tripod i've converted to my shooting rest. i hang the decoys off the top of the ground blind. i must look like i am running away from home.

i carry the weapon..bow or (this year) my air rifle..and my other hand i carry the shotgun. it is the longest short walk ever. coming out, i am in less of a hurry so i make multiple trips. i am on private land, so if it is a multi day hunt, i fold stuff up and hide it in a bush.

Jimss

WKR
A lot depends upon your decoys and what style of decoys you are using, the length of your hike, and steepness/brushiness, etc of the terrain . If you use full sized decoys similar to DSD's that don't collapse than you'll likely need a lot larger volume pack to fit decoys. If you have a full sized jake plus 2 hens it will take up a large volume of space. If you use decoys similar to miss perfects (collapse to the size of your hand) you can likely get by with your daypack. I got in a fairly lengthy battle with a guy on bowsite that swears using DSD's inside their bags plus a pack works great. I hike long distance through super steep, rough country in Colo and some of the areas I hunt in Nebraska and my preference is miss perfects plus a small decoy with a fan on it. If I'm hunting fairly close to the truck I may add a couple Avian X that collapse fairly well. I don't carry or use a blind at all and prefer to stay mobile and use the terrain to hide me. I carry my shotgun or bow on a sling. Remember that you may have a tom or 2 to add to your load on the way out!

If your backpack can hold a decoy and a 20lb bird, it's fine.

My pack is about 6000ci without the lid. I tighten the straps and it's about daypack size. It's easy to drop an inflatable half strut jake decoy in with plenty of room for snacks, water and extra clothes. I had two gobblers in it walking out in South Dakota a couple years ago. A few days before that, it was good for a bison skull and gobbler. I've thrown a few more in it since. I'll never wear a turkey vest again.

boom

WKR
my MR DragonSlayer.

i had by brother carry the decoys, or they would have been hooked over the blind. it's heavy..but the MR is a tank. i typicaly strap things on more symetrically, but we had to go!

cliff april 9 2018 037.jpg