KS walk-ins

Jimss

WKR
I've been researching KS walk-in areas for the past couple years and have enough vacation time saved up that I finally may be able to try it this year. I looked over the turkey surveys the past couple years and it appears overall turkey and poult numbers are down a chunk in most of KS. It may take a little more work to locate turkeys but I have a feeling turkey numbers are still very good. If anyone is willing to share general info in regard to what they've seen the past year or 2 they can pm me directly. I'm anxious to give it a try! Good luck to those heading out this spring!

marktole

WKR
I am from NWKS and we don't have a lot of turkeys out here, but they're around. I went to college in Manhattan and hunted over in that general area in the past few years. I am here to tell you, on paper, turkey numbers might be "down," but there are a s***load of those birds in the eastern part of the state.

Also, I might recommend you check into hunting on Fort Riley. There are some hoops you'll have to jump through to get access, but it can be worth it as there are good turkey numbers on the base. I am not 100% sure how the process goes for a non-resident (I'm assuming you're a non-res) to be able to hunt on the base. Be aware as they have season dates specifically for military ID card holders within the KS season that you cannot hunt on the base during that time.

It can also be worth your time to knock on doors and see who owns what land and try to get permission on some private that way.

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with marktole on this. Regardless of what the numbers say, you can only kill two. I've turkey hunted north-central/eastern Kansas since 08. The number of birds has ebbed and flowed throughout those years but they are still better than our Illinois numbers where I live.
Knocking on doors for permission in Kansas is still doable and a great way to build a lasting relationship for future hunts. Go into your hunt with eyes wide open, persistent, and remain flexible and I'm certain you will have a great time. Turkey hunting in Kansas is a ball and if you play your cards right, Nebraska has over the counter turkey tags that can extend your out of state hunt! Good luck!

How'd you do Jimss? I grew up near KC running around the woods in the 90's and we had no turkeys, and then went to K-State in the early 2000's and they were everywhere.

I think our big pieces of public like around lakes and such get hit harder than walk-in's, but then finding the right walk-in with turkeys is a little tougher. But, not really. Just look for big creek bottoms with mature trees and they'll be in there. Focus on the ones not visible from the road.

Quail... there probably isn't a better state for an out-of-stater to show up and hunt public land bobwhite quail. Numbers can be pretty volatile year to year. For example, one year the season ended on a Saturday. Instead of going home I just ran dogs on Sunday. In one hour+ walk we found 16 coveys (in a spot I had never hunted). We were there on the opener the following year and I'm not sure if we moved a single covey out of there, maybe one.

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
I ended up going to Nebraska and S Dakota this year. Bird numbers seemed to be down in both locations but with a little extra work I did fine.