Upcoming black hills trip

Kindo

WKR
Well, I thought we were doing ourselves a favor by delaying our trip a week after opener, but it appears we're still looking at some nasty weather for our upcoming trip. Just thought I'd reach out to see if anyone would be willing to share some insight. I'm not looking for any specific areas necessarily but maybe some insight into what the birds may be doing if there's a lot of snow on the ground/falling while we're out there. Also, maybe areas to stay away from if significant amounts of snow are in the forecast as I heard the roads can get sketchy there.

I'm heading to the Black Hills for the second weekend (19-22) of the season and plan on hunting around the Hill City area. I've got a few specific spots in mind but wondering if other regions might be better during this time etc? I've only got 2.5 days to hunt so I'm hoping to make the best of it.

I understand that in SD you can use a rifle for birds and have been told that's the technique of a lot of locals. This has me a bit hesitant to use my Pretty Boy decoy. Is this a warranted concern or should we be okay?

Any input is appreciated, and I'd prefer to receive a PM if you're be willing to help a guy out!

Thanks!
Kindo

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
South end of the hills seems to be warmer and more arid. If you get to Hot Springs don't miss the Mammoth site.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Thanks Gusto. With the south being more arid, should we expect to see fewer birds around there?

Also, anyone know about decoy use in the black hills? Doesn’t seem like many use them there.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks Gusto. With the south being more arid, should we expect to see fewer birds around there?

Also, anyone know about decoy use in the black hills? Doesn’t seem like many use them there.

I have only hunted the south end. Plenty of birds and more gentle country. We were bowhunting so used blinds and decoys.

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
Last couple days birds were fired up with the warmer weather, responding to calls and coming into decoys. Tonight with the temps falling they were still responding to shock gobbling while roosting them. The blizzard tonight and tomorrow will put a damper on everything for a couple days until Sunday or Monday at least. Next weekend we are supposed to get a another snow storm. If there is cold weather and snow they don’t like to gobble or come in to decoys as much. Ambushing is a better tactic along fields and roosting areas. Rifles can be used but never seen it. Best thing to do with limited time is try and roost birds off trails at night then be under the roost in the morning. Hill city gets hammered by locals and nonresidents so you’ll need to venture out further and put on some walking miles. If you are driving forest service roads make sure to get a pass for $25 or so for any trail that starts with tr, other ones are free to use still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brother used to live in Hot Springs. Seems like there are always a lot of birds. Game Warden down there is a high school friend of mine although we haven't talked in years. He's a good guy. Might give you some tips. I won't post his name but it's pretty easy to find it.

BTW..my brother now lives in Hudson...lol. Small world.