Turkey diaphragm for bad caller

I guess I wouldn't say I'm a bad caller just never been satisfied with any reed I've tried. Any recommendations for easiest to get good sounds out of for someone that struggles with them?

Thanks,
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davebuech

WKR
I like Gooserbat calls for turkey mouth calls.

Have you tried a pot or box call? Good pot calls are easy to run,carry and produce some great sounds. Get 2-3 different strikers and you can sound like a whole bunch of different hens.

OP
bowieknife50
I like Gooserbat calls for turkey mouth calls.

Have you tried a pot or box call? Good pot calls are easy to run,carry and produce some great sounds. Get 2-3 different strikers and you can sound like a whole bunch of different hens.

Ya I can hold my own with a slate call and actually prefer it to anything else. Problem is I hunt alone a lot so it's nice to have a hands free call when they get close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

npm352

WKR
I don't think the brand is as important as the reed. I think a straight double reed is the easiest to call with. Some of the triple reeds with serated edges are nice for making raspier sounds, but a double is easier to break over in a yelp and also easier to get a bird excited with fast calling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Any double reed proph is probably going to be easiest to run and what I prefer. Just requires less air volume. My two go to are the primos limbhanger and true double.

sargent

WKR
As mentioned, straight double reed calls are the easiest to blow, but to get a little rasp try a 2.5 reed call like a H.S. Strut CUTT'N 2.5. With practice you can access the straight double reeds to make clear notes and use all three reeds for raspier yelps and cutts. Practice is the key to using any mouth call effectively. Try practicing while you are driving and you'll be surprised how quickly you see improvement. Good luck this spring!

bradb

WKR
Try cutting the tape down on one and see if that helps, or hurts. I line mine smaller. But some don't. Only out a few dollars to try

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been using houndstooth game calls out of Alabama the last few years and like how easy they are to blow.

I was gonna recommend Houndstooth Game Calls. He is local and I started using his calls a couple of years ago. It pains me to have anything related to U of A in my turkey vest, so you know it's good stuff. Lol