New Economic Quilts

ljalberta

WKR
I didn't see another thread on this yet, but I noticed on another site a conversation about the new quilts offered by Hammock Gear at a much cheaper price point. Seems like they're using duck down and a heavier material, but this is allowing for a 20* down quilt to begin pricing at $150. Great option for anyone on a budget looking to jump into quilts.

I just placed an order for a couple quilts for the wife and I today from EE, but I was awful tempted to go with one of these options instead. Maybe a 40* from HG will be in my future...

Here's the link Econ Quilts

Interesting. In comparing a long/wide 0 deg econ to an EE it looks like maybe only a few ounces difference and roughly $100 savings. I've been wanting a 0* EE but I may consider these. I have a 20* EE now.

dotman

WKR
My 0* EE has the duck down and I love it, he stopped offering it shortly after I got mine, think I paid around $225 for a long/wide. Not a clue why he stopped offering it as it is very warm and was economical.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to lighten my pack weight this year and have been considering trying an EE, but comparing numbers, these are the best bang for the buck. Look good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

ljalberta

WKR
Just as a note for everyone checking out the quilts, make sure to read over their specs. The widths and lengths don't directly compare to EE quilts. The HG quilts have a regular width of 50" and wide width of 55", where as EE has a regular width of 54" and a wide of 58". And I agree these seem like the best value quilt on the market based off specs alone. I personally have no field experience with either brand as of yet though.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Just as a note for everyone checking out the quilts, make sure to read over their specs. The widths and lengths don't directly compare to EE quilts. The HG quilts have a regular width of 50" and wide width of 55", where as EE has a regular width of 54" and a wide of 58". And I agree these seem like the best value quilt on the market based off specs alone. I personally have no field experience with either brand as of yet though.

I did notice that, good thing to point out though. Do these quilts have a similar strap system as EE?

OP
L

ljalberta

WKR
They don't include pad straps, but can be purchased separately. I'm not sure what their system looks like though.

These quilts have received excellent reviews. I'm very intrigued with this company and will probably give them a try. I was thinking about buying a Western Mountaineering bag, but I think I may opt for a $200 quilt instead of a $500 bag.

Mjprohoroff

Lil-Rokslider
I own 3 HG top quilts and 2 under quilts. They are top notch! Highly recommend!

bobhunts

WKR
Wondering about sleeping in one of these quilts? I have heard all of the hype. Do you stay warm? I spent way more on a couple of Marmot Plasma 0 degree bags and they are nice and light with insulation all around me.Even though there are places where my back can compress it enough there are the voids that are filled by the loft of the 900 fill Goose down. The Burrow 0 degree shaves about a pound off my really warm Marmot bags and am considering one of the quilts. Here is where I have a problem with a quilt. Big Agness makes bags on the same principle. Of the two I own I just never stay warm in them like I am sleeping on a bed of ice. I use quality pads and the BA bags I am referring to are not in the same price range or quality but I do get cold depending on my pad for insulation under me. I would never sleep in a hammock with just a pad. Ideas or advice?

jestanw1

FNG
I just placed an order for the Burrow Econ 10. I will update when I receive it for anyone interested. This will be my first quilt but I should be able to give a brief overview on quality, feel, material, and weight. The sleeping bag I was packing around was 3lbs 9oz as a 15 degree bag and this 10 degree quilt will weigh around 1lb 7oz. That's a huge weight savings and I usually open my bag up to act like a quilt anyways. Should be fun.

jestanw1

FNG
So here is an update,

I received my Wide-Standard Burrow Econ 10 quilt in the mail Saturday and I am very very impressed with it. I do not have any experience with other quilts that are more expensive but It seems very well made and I was sure impressed when I took it out of the bag, honestly I was expecting less. Materials feel great, sewing looks great, the down seems to have great loft to it. I cant wait to get it in the mountains and see how it performs in a real world situation but my guess is that it will perform well. I got out the scale this weekend and I went from a 3lb 12oz Big Agnes bag, to this quilt which weighed in right at their advertised 1lb 7oz. With using it around the house this weekend I can tell that this quilt "feels" much warmer then my old bag. For $207 shipped I am more then happy with the purchase. I don't think you can go wrong for the price.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning on ordering a quilt this week. I would like to order the HG Burrow Econ 20. My question for you familiar with using quilts is the 55" width comfortable? My other option would be ordering a 58" EE Apex insulation quilt? I'm a fairly bigger guy. Generally an XXL shirt and 40" waist for reference. Price is a factor which is why I like the Econ and EE Apex options.

OP
L

ljalberta

WKR
You might get better response if you fire up a new thread for that question. I recently got my 20* 58" wide EE, and will be heading out 3 of the next 4 weekends to the mountains to give it a test run. Should be around 26-30F at night. Initial thoughts based on my research is depending on how you sleep (back/side/stomach/active?) it might be just enough, or a little short on width. I'm a medium shirt guy, 33" waist, and my wife's 54" is about as slim as I would want to go just from trying it indoors on a pad (very active side sleeper). As was recommended to me, I'd rather have too much width, than too little. Another limited time deal I posted up is happening over at Underground Quilts (UGQ BANDIT TQ). They are 55" as well, but they might be able to do custom work.