Kowa 554 $1439

At B&H photo it’s only $1439. Only the 554, which is the straight version, is on sale. Maybe someone even has a promo code to get it cheaper than that. It’s already a good deal, though.

Dobermann

WKR
hmm ... back to $1800 now. First Optics Planet, now B&H ... wonder if Kowa just told them they could only sell a few at such a discount ... or what?

OP
wannakillabigbull
I'm glad someone else sees it. I was starting to think that I had some weird deal that only my computer could see...when I click on Dobermann's link it shows as $1,439.99

sneaky

"DADDY"
Dangit, I need binos first....I need binos first....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, but I use binos way more than a spotter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ronb

WKR
Get your binos first. Quality bins should be your first priority. Also, this is a niche scope. I predicted the retail price would drop. I didn’t expect it to fall this fast! Already seeing discounts on a product that has been out for 6months? You wouldn’t see that for a swaro scope. I personally would wait for more price cuts. Go over to the birding forums and you will see there’s next to no interest in this scope. There won’t be until the price comes down. I think that the $1400 sale price will become the norm and then we’ll see some used ones pop up for closer to a grand. Imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Get your binos first. Quality bins should be your first priority. Also, this is a niche scope. I predicted the retail price would drop. I didn’t expect it to fall this fast! Already seeing discounts on a product that has been out for 6months? You wouldn’t see that for a swaro scope. I personally would wait for more price cuts. Go over to the birding forums and you will see there’s next to no interest in this scope. There won’t be until the price comes down. I think that the $1400 sale price will become the norm and then we’ll see some used ones pop up for closer to a grand. Imo

I think people just aren’t buying the straight model, it’s the only one that has had a reduced price. That’s funny you say that about Swaro, yes they have sales, lol and I’ve never paid retail for anything Swaro. Also I do see this taking off with the birding community where wide fov has to be a requirement I would think.

I do agree binos first.

Ronb

WKR
I said swaro isn’t going to discount something in the first 6months. I’m quite certain that this is a fantastic scope. Just a bit overpriced. Maybe not overpriced to the mountain hunter. But to the birders and to most buyers who don’t see the value. That should bring the price down. Also, Fov for the Kowa 15-45 is 132-69. For the swaro 25-50 its 139-89. Thats seems a bit narrow to me for the kowa at a much lower power.

Last edited:

Ronb

WKR
For the back country Hunter, I don’t know that it’s overpriced at all. I’m saying for most scope buyers it’s going to be overpriced. Which in turn should bring the price of the little Kowa down. Remember, it’s almost as good as the premium scopes in the 65 mm configuration. So that means weight is the only category where it surpasses those scopes. Thats super important to the backcountry Hunter, but maybe not for the general optics buyer. If it was a huge seller, they wouldn’t be lowering the prices already. The value is something that’s not really worth arguing about. I certainly have paid a premium price for items that are important to me. I’m just commenting on the fact that I have a hunch these scopes will come down a little bit more. Considering the fact that a couple days ago you could’ve had that scope for $1299 on Opticsplanet. Be patient, I think another deal like that could come your way.

Last edited:

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I probably agree on why they've brought the price down, they might be trying to get a few more out in the field in hopes of some reviews.

dotman

WKR
Personally I would take the kowa 55 over any 65 including the swaro ATX/STX. Swaro has a loyal following and produces an amazing product, no doubt. But Kowa isn’t a slouch in quality they just don’t have the following Swaro does. That said if I ever get a big spotter it’ll either be a Kowa 88 with extender that increases zoom to 96x or a Swaro ATX 85 with extender out to 100x zoom. At 45x I’ll take the little Kowa over both just because the optical quality is excellent and it is so small/light. But that is my style.

I think being it is a 55mm and not the traditional size people just over look it. There is a thread here where they guy is willing to take a Vortex Razor that goes to 47x over the Kowa because it has a rotating collar. To me that is just crazy as the Kowa is close to the ATX in optical quality but some prefer the look and additional options over pure optical quality. I think lack of knowledge is what hurts it and perception of size.