Water bladder recommendation

Pgohil

WKR
Looking for a 3L water bladder for Idaho back country use. See a lot of push for platypus but not much else. Other recommendations? Things they you want/don't want?

Thanks

PD Gohil
WV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

kopecsean

FNG
Durability and weight. Platypus is good with both.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a 3l Source that I like.
It has a screw on lid and a slide top for cleaning and ice.
So far so good on durability.
I like the valve you have to bite over the one you twist.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Like the Camelbak crux bite valve.
As long as the bag is easy to fill and doesn't leak that's all it has to do.

R

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using my Camelbak 3L military bladder without issue for the past 15 years. I can also easily fill it directly through the drink tube with my Katadyn Hiker Pro filter.

Attachments

• 100_3373.jpg
    100_3373.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 100_3372.jpg
    100_3372.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 104
For drinking I switch from camel back to source a few years back. End opens up for cleaning. Detachable valves and a few other features won me over.

For hauling water for camp use I like msr and platypus with a bias to MSR. I have used their dromedary bags for 20 years. Apart from accidental freezing I have never had an issue with one. I added some platypus bottles lately as part of a filtration system. No issues so far.

MSR dromedary bags are bombproof. I grabbed a dromlite bag to try this year. It doesn't have the cloth coating of the regular dromedary bag, but I'll give it a try. The Platypus bags are great, but I had to switch out the bite valve to something with a shut off valve, as mine kept getting opened setting the pack down, or under a strap or something and drenching everything.

husky390

WKR
Dromedary is what I've been using for about five years. Solid bag provided your puppy doesn't get ahold of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwlacy

WKR
I have a larger Dromedary for camp and a Dromlite with a bite valve for carrying. Haven't had any issues with them yet. Pretty bomb proof.

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I recommend getting a 4 liter bag. You dont always have to fill it up to 4l but when its really hot out, water is hard to find, or any chance you could be caught out late, having the extra liter is great.

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
Love my 3L Platypus. Bought an Osprey for my wife and wish I would have bought the Platypus for her as well. I own about 4 other brands of bladders and I don't even know where the others are at this point, I'll only take the Platy.

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using my Camelbak 3L military bladder without issue for the past 15 years. I can also easily fill it directly through the drink tube with my Katadyn Hiker Pro filter.

I did this to my Platypus as well. Game changer as far as I'm concerned. I hated bladders before because of the hassle of getting them in and out to fill, now it just stays in my bag and I backfill it with a Sawyer squeeze filter.

bsnedeker

WKR
I did this to my Platypus as well. Game changer as far as I'm concerned. I hated bladders before because of the hassle of getting them in and out to fill, now it just stays in my bag and I backfill it with a Sawyer squeeze filter.

Same here, although I also use a Katadyn Hiker Pro.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Platypus is ALMOST perfect...Why the heck do they put the hanging loop off-centered? Maybe I'm OCD but that drives me nuts! Otherwise they are the best I've found for carrying in the pack.

In camp, I hang a MSR Dromedary.

If you are hunting in the heat or extreme cold I would definitely suggest an insulated hose.

Owenst7

WKR
I really liked the hydrapak bladders, but had a weld peel apart just under a year on one.

Back to smartwaters bottles for me. Way lighter and easy to keep thawed in my sleeping bag.