Bad gear choice

pbcarch

WKR
So I have finalized all my gear for my first trip out west for elk. Idaho.
I know i over purchased and will over pack as i have no idea as to what i will use more or like more.

So just curious to hear from the group what has been your useless, least used or just plain wrong gear purchases? It doesn't really need to be brand specific more like i got something and just never use it.

Paul

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
If I have a base camp my biggest waste is generally food. I think i'm gonna plan and make a big meal for dinner and breakfast. After all day in the field the last thing I want to do is come and make and clean up a big meal. Simple easy meals is key for me. Not significantly more extravagant then I do when i'm bivy camping.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
A second Nalgene bottle. I bought a big 1.5 liter to store water in my pack because I didn’t trust a bladder or gas station water bottle to not leak. That thing empty was 8 oz.

Any light that isn’t an l.e.d. They suck power and don’t hold up to cold or drops.

Inexpensive batteries. Lithium is the gold standard but if not at least get something like Duracell, energizer even rayovac is decent.

Your gear taking multiple battery sizes. One odd ball is ok but not three.

Non mil-spec para cord, If you got it from the craft isle at Walmart it’s not worthy.

I used to carry a GPS.

Figured out that my phone with a map app is better in pretty much every way.

Also, I bought an Eberlestock backpack. I liked the modularity and the gun scabbard. Turns out in use, the pack was extremely uncomfortable to carry, and way too heavy.

bsnedeker

WKR
I used to carry a GPS.

Figured out that my phone with a map app is better in pretty much every way.

Also, I bought an Eberlestock backpack. I liked the modularity and the gun scabbard. Turns out in use, the pack was extremely uncomfortable to carry, and way too heavy.

Yeah, my 12-lb Eberlestock Skycrane II was the first item on my purge list after last year! My new Kifaru is half the weight and I've been training with 80+ pounds in it and it feels infinitely better than the Eberlestock did loaded with 50!

Brendan

WKR
Spotting Scope, Pan Head, Tripod, Decoys. In 4 years, I haven't used any of these once.

Also - I'm a big fan of phone based GPS (Gaia). But make sure your phone has a new-ish battery. My phone started acting up and draining real fast when it was exposed to cold last year. Needed to keep it in an inside pocket against my skin the whole trip once the weather got cold.

Yep. The Skycrane II was the pack I had as well. Seems really cool in the video and on paper, but a complete failure in real life.

Yeah, my 12-lb Eberlestock Skycrane II was the first item on my purge list after last year! My new Kifaru is half the weight and I've been training with 80+ pounds in it and it feels infinitely better than the Eberlestock did loaded with 50!

Biggest bad choice for me was a sleeping pad with a medium R value. Think it was R 3.5 (Big Agnes Insulated Air Core). Almost froze to death during a Sept CO elk trip using that pad. Promptly purchased an Xtherm pad with R 5.7 and haven't had a problem with cold since.

Beendare

WKR
Thankfully I haven't made a bad gear choice in 20 years....

If you are backpacking think layers, one set of clothes with an extra boxer and pair of socks.

Different strokes.
Early season deer hunt in the mtns; yeah I bring a tripod and big glass.....on an elk hunt....no.

I've killed/called 25+ elk with a decoy...not leaving that behind.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Interesting that I have now heard multiple guys say no to spotter for elk. Perhaps are you guys going into areas where spotting is not conducive based on terrain?
We are going to an area with a lot of grass lands, mountains mahogonay and scrub

204guy

WKR
We need some more details on your hunt to help you. Basecamp or backpacking would be a good start. Time of year? Are you archery or rifle hunting? How selective are you going to be on a bull? If you have halfways decent binos you will be able to tell if an elk is a bull or not from a couple miles. I wouldn't pack a spotter elk hunting unless I was going to be picky about how big a bull I was shooting and then it would probably be a 50mm.

Brendan

WKR
Interesting that I have now heard multiple guys say no to spotter for elk. Perhaps are you guys going into areas where spotting is not conducive based on terrain?
We are going to an area with a lot of grass lands, mountains mahogonay and scrub

Wyoming and Montana for me. Montana was thick. To see open areas you had to be reasonably close. No long range glassing going on at all.
Wyoming had plenty of open areas, but binos were still fine, especially if you have a good set. Not that I saw any Elk in the open, they were all in the cover. September archery in all cases.

If you're in an area that is predominantly open, where you plan on spending a lot of time glassing and tearing up pieces of shade on hillsides, (I equate this more with mule deer hunting) then a spotter might be helpful. But, then again, a lot of people say they'd want a set of Swaro 12x50's as binoculars and would still leave the spotter at home in that case...

Spotter, pan head, tripod are heavy. Have you loaded up your pack 100% yet with EVERYTHING you'll be carrying? Down to water, food, phone, pocket knife, Bow, arrows, archery toolkit, spare releases, clothes, etc, etc.? If not - do it, and weigh it. My spotter got dropped like a bad habit after carrying it for a day.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Yeah was wanting to do a full pack load but keep running out of time on weekends. Will do that this weekend though.

I have both swaro binos and spotter. Sold my first set of each and decided to cry now and live with them for rest of life.

We are going central Idaho, late September archery. Some really rough up and down, lots of open with nooks and crannies then some thick areas. Since I can not get out to scout physically this summer to scout (lots o e-scouting though) I figured first day or two might be a lot of scouting/glassing/location buggling from ridges to see what's up , elk and pressure wise.

Didn't mean this thread to be a critique on me (though welcomed) I was hoping to learn what some of you guys learned was not useful gear b.c wise

9 weeks to go !!

Paul

I view a spotter as a luxury item when it comes to most elk country. Fun to have at times but definitely not necessary. I am usually in the dark timber or on the edge with the elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it was a certain shooting/walking stick I carried when ML or rifle hunting. It sure looked like the ticket but rattled when out in the woods and was very noisy, even when brushing against brush and leaves.

oldgoat

WKR
I bought a hatchet, it's never left the house! My elk tags could be left at home too if it wasn't for the game warden thing! Kill kit could probably be skipped too! Other than that, most of the gear has been used on some trip and might be used again depending on the situation. Obviously emergency stuff may have not been used but I'll keep taking it. Just load up your gear and see what it weighs, take it for a hike, if it seems like too much, it will be way too much at altitude, if it seems like it's ok, it will be tough at altitude, if it seems like it's no problem it will be ok at altitude maybe. Just go slow, you can hustle once you have camp set and most of the load is off.

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I agree leaving the spotter saves a lot of weight. If you have open country that you can spend a lot of time glassing I would still bring the tripod and put the binos on them. You can glass all day with that setup and have no problem seeing elk - your eyes will probably prefer the binos anyway.

The other thing that is always dead weight in my pack is my rain gear and glassing tarp. I just know the first time I take it out I will regret it though.

The best thing I found was 1/2 of the $15 therm-a-rest seat split with my buddy (unless you are a big guy you only need the half). Glassing, meals, anytime I sat down that extra inch or so is soft and always dry. At an ounce or so it is amazing.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Yeah the spotter + tripod and head adds almost 12lbs.....tough call to leave home. Really thought it would come in handy for early morning/late evening locating

Paul