Critique my CO Elk gear list

TravisIN

WKR
Figured this was a good place to post this. If you guys dont mind could you go over my gear list and let me know what I am forgetting or what Im over doing it on. I know there are a couple redundancies (water purification) but I am wanting to use multiple to see what I prefer. I know that there may be some things that I dont really need, like a solar charger, but with the potential of seven days in the back country and using my phone as my gps and my inreach not having replaceable batteries it gives me a certain level of comfort/insurance. There are a couple things I still need to weigh as well. Appreciate any help because I know this gets posted a ton. But sometimes I look at my own lists so much I dont even realize if I am missing something.

Pack
Mystery Ranch Metcalf 94.24

Clothing
L&S Mountain Hunter Boots
First Lite Traverse gaiters 4.8
FL COmpression socks(2) 2.39
First Lite Aerowool Briefs (wearing)
Sitka Apex Pants (wearing)
Sitka Heavyweight Core Pants 10
First Lite Belt (Wearing)
Sitka Core Lightweight SS (wearing)
Sitka Core Lightweight LS 5.6
Sitka Midweight Zip-T 10.6
Sitka Kelvin Active Jacket 14.8
Cabelas Space Rain Jacket 12
First Lite fingerless gloves 1.97
OR Aerator Gloves 2.2
Sitka neck gaiter 0.89
First Lite Merino Cuff Beanie
Vortex Hat (wearing)
Costa Cortez Sunglasses (wearing)
Total Carry Weight 65.25

Sleep System
Mountainsmith Tarp Shelter 35.6
Kelty Tuck 22 47.8
Klymit Static V2 16.39
Klymit Pillow 3.58
Total Carry Weight 103.37

Food/Water System
Jet Boil Flash 14.26
Jetboil Small Fuel Canister 7.05
Titanium Spork 0.75
Food
Steripen 3.59
Swayer Squeeze Filter 1.81
Aquamira Drops 2.86
Platypus Big Zip 2L Resevoir (Full) 72
Empty 2L bladder and 1/2 liter 2.09
Kifaru Nalgene (Full) 37
Total Carry Weight 141.41

Kill Kit
Outdoor Edge Razor Pro w/ 12 blades 8.41
Outdoor Edge Pocket Saw 2.38
Black Ovis XL Game Bags 19.1
Plastic Ground Sheet 2.42
Heavy Contractor Bags (2) 5.75
Total Carry Weight 38.06

Emergency/First Aid
Emergency Blanket 1.22
Biv Lighter (2) 1.22
Electrical Tape 1.22
Zipties (6) 1.22
Compass 1.22
Pen 1.22
Paper 1.22
Firestarter 1.22
Bandaids 1.22
Pepto 1.22
Zrytec 0.5
550 Paracord-50' 4.89
Extra Lithium Batteries 0.72
Total Carry Weight 9.74

Toiletries
Travel Toothpaste 1.16
Travel Toothbrush 0.22
Ibuprofen 1.52
Travel Deodorant 1.53
Contacts 0.12
Dude Wipes (TP) 5.4
Total Carry Weight 9.95

General
Black Diamond Spot headlamp 6.87
Petzl e-Lite 0.92
Anker Solar Charger 13
Battery Pack Charger 8.48
Trekking Poles 18
Springfield XDS 9mm
Bugle Tube 9.4
Total Carry Weight 56.67

Optics
Vortex Viper 10x42
Vortex Ranger 1000
AGC Cub Max
Delorme Inreach

Bow Kit
2' extra D-loop
6' extra serving
3 extra nocks
3 extra braodheads
4 Wrenches
Back up release
Total Carry Weight 8.4

TOTAL PACK WEIGHT 524.09 oz

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
Here is my daily food and the calories. I love oatmeal haha

OG Oatmeal Morning 660
Clif Bar Mid Morning 260
Honey Stinger Waffle Snack 140
Justins PB Snack 210
P/B Bagel Bacon Lunch 580
2oz Beef Jerky Snack 140
2oz OG Trail Mix Snack 370
2 Fun Sized Paydays Snack 180
OG Oatmeal Dinner 660

Total 3200

UtahJimmy

WKR
How many days are you planning to be away from your vehicle?

Drop the extra pants and pack thermal bottoms instead. Same with the 2nd jacket. I prefer 1 pair of gloves.

You've already critiqued your water system but I'll add this: Test out the systems BEFORE you go and only take 1 or 2. You don't need 4. I'd recommend the jetboil (multiuse) and the sawyer. Not sure I'd bring the extra 2 & .5L bladders along with the Nalgene.

You can leave most spare blades at the truck. 3 should be more than enough. You should be able to get through an elk with 1. Leave the saw at the truck and grab it on your last load if you want to cap the skull. You can cut all joints with a knife.

Throw in some WetWipes

I leave the bow kit at the trailhead.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
How many days are you planning to be away from your vehicle?

Drop the extra pants and pack thermal bottoms instead. Same with the 2nd jacket. I prefer 1 pair of gloves.

You've already critiqued your water system but I'll add this: Test out the systems BEFORE you go and only take 1 or 2. You don't need 4. I'd recommend the jetboil (multiuse) and the sawyer. Not sure I'd bring the extra 2 & .5L bladders along with the Nalgene.

You can leave most spare blades at the truck. 3 should be more than enough. You should be able to get through an elk with 1. Leave the saw at the truck and grab it on your last load if you want to cap the skull. You can cut all joints with a knife.

Throw in some WetWipes

I leave the bow kit at the trailhead.

Thanks man. I should have relabeled the heavy weight pants. They are just Sitkas heaviest thermal base layer pants.

As far as as the extra bladders it was mainly to fill up and then filter through my swayer into my pack
Bladder so I didn’t have to keep taking it out.

Good to know on the blades, wasn’t sure on how many I’d need and didn’t wanna get in a bind. I’ll cut that number down for sure now. Also I didn’t think about that with the saw, so that’s gonna be left now.

I have tested out every single thing I have in multiple conditions. And I think that only made me less decisive on the water filtration. The steripen was super easier which was great with the nalgene. But the swayer/ aquamira water for the bladder tasted way better. I tested both on some stagnant hot pond water. I drink 160-190 oz of water a day just normal so I know I’m gonna be pounding it in the mountains and am ok with carrying extra water weight. At least I think I am. Thanks for the tips man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
Oh and the dude wipes is a brand of biodegradable wet wipe I was gonna use for tp

bsnedeker

WKR
I have the same thoughts on your water situation: I would leave the steripen at home and go with the sawyer and the aquamira as a backup...you don't need to carry 4 ways to sterilize water (boiling on your jetboil is the 4th). Also rather than taking two 2-liter bladders I would pack an MSR Dromlite 6L bladder as your camp water.

OG Oatmeal for breakfast and dinner....how many days in a row have you done that while out in the field and how many days are you planning to be back? Last year by day 5 of a 10 day hunt I was oatmealed out. By day 9 it was making me heave just to smell it! That said, I'm sure MANY guys are much more mentally tough than me and would have zero problem with it.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
I have the same thoughts on your water situation: I would leave the steripen at home and go with the sawyer and the aquamira as a backup...you don't need to carry 4 ways to sterilize water (boiling on your jetboil is the 4th). Also rather than taking two 2-liter bladders I would pack an MSR Dromlite 6L bladder as your camp water.

OG Oatmeal for breakfast and dinner....how many days in a row have you done that while out in the field and how many days are you planning to be back? Last year by day 5 of a 10 day hunt I was oatmealed out. By day 9 it was making me heave just to smell it! That said, I'm sure MANY guys are much more mentally tough than me and would have zero problem with it.

I did a few days at home eating my exact meal plans and still enjoyed each thing I ate each day. Now that may change after 3 days but I guess I won’t know until I try. I know at home testing is way different than out there but it’s the best I got. The more I think on it the more I lean towards leaving the steripen.
Not knowing which way I’m gonna prefer my theory was take multiple ways and see which way I end up using the most then adjust accordingly next time.

I thought about doing a bigger bladder like you suggested but since I’m planning on staying as mobile as possible until I find elk (if I find elk) and may be moving camp each day so wasn’t sure if I’d even get to a point where I’d be able to leave water at camp to come back to.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
A couple other things I’ve been thinking of adding are a good fixed blade knife, probably an esse izula or something similar. Also thought about adding a Primus micron lantern to add a little light and warmth to my shelter if it gets cold.

I recommend adding a tube of super glue to your first aid kit to glue shut skin and also fix serving issues. You can save several ounces with the kill kit. The outdoor edge knives are nice but a havalon is half the weight and works just as well IMO. 3-4 blades max. Not sure what you use the saw for but might consider not carrying. Switch to TAG BOMB bags at 10 ounces. Do you really need two contractor bags and a ground sheet? Hope you have a great trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
I recommend adding a tube of super glue to your first aid kit to glue shut skin and also fix serving issues. You can save several ounces with the kill kit. The outdoor edge knives are nice but a havalon is half the weight and works just as well IMO. 3-4 blades max. Not sure what you use the saw for but might consider not carrying. Switch to TAG BOMB bags at 10 ounces. Do you really need two contractor bags and a ground sheet? Hope you have a great trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The outdoor edge one was just the one i have so i figured I’d stick with it.
On the ground sheet and contractor bags. My thinking was use the ground sheet to put meat on while I’m quartering up before I can hang it. And the bags were for in case it’s really hot and I need to sink it in a creek. Now, all the things we just talked about have a very low chance of getting used haha, but that was the thinking behind it. Think I’m better off just going with one or the other?

The outdoor edge one was just the one i have so i figured I’d stick with it.
On the ground sheet and contractor bags. My thinking was use the ground sheet to put meat on while I’m quartering up before I can hang it. And the bags were for in case it’s really hot and I need to sink it in a creek. Now, all the things we just talked about have a very low chance of getting used haha, but that was the thinking behind it. Think I’m better off just going with one or the other?

Makes sense on the bags. I have never been in a place where it has been hot enough that I needed to sink in a creek and there actually be a creek. But I have hauled meet all night because of 85degree temps in NM. Your weather forecast should help determine the need for them.

Your list looks very good to me.

A few observations/questions:

Do you have rain pants? I didn't see them on your list (or maybe I don't recognize them.) If you get caught in a mountain storm, you will want rain pants.

You have a space blanket as part of your emergency kit. I used to carry a space blanket. Then, I actually had an unplanned night out in foul weather when I had to actually try to use one to stay warm and dry. They suck. Hard. So light weight that it's very difficult to keep them in place, particularly if there is any wind at all (which is when you really need it the most.) These days, I carry a space bag. Only an ounce or two heavier than a space blanket, but much more functional. Much easier to use and provides better protection from wind and rain.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
Your list looks very good to me.

A few observations/questions:

Do you have rain pants? I didn't see them on your list (or maybe I don't recognize them.) If you get caught in a mountain storm, you will want rain pants.

You have a space blanket as part of your emergency kit. I used to carry a space blanket. Then, I actually had an unplanned night out in foul weather when I had to actually try to use one to stay warm and dry. They suck. Hard. So light weight that it's very difficult to keep them in place, particularly if there is any wind at all (which is when you really need it the most.) These days, I carry a space bag. Only an ounce or two heavier than a space blanket, but much more functional. Much easier to use and provides better protection from wind and rain.

Good tip on the space bag.

I don’t have any rain pants in there. That’s something I debated when I started this list and kinda have forgotten about since then. For whatever reason I have it in my head that if I get caught in a rainstorm I’m less worried about my legs than I am my upper body. Which doesn’t make sense. I’ll have to rethink that. Thanks for pointing that out.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree on the space blanket, a space bag like the sol bivy will at least stay in place. My take on rain pants for Colorado is this, we are not a place for serious prolonged rain but at altitude especially when exposed in the open it’s likely to turn into sleet and hail. It feels like ice cubes running down your body for fifteen minutes, not fun get some good pants and jacket.

I have the same sleeping bag, pad, knife and rf. I use my knife for all chores not just the animal so I bring six blades. The bag isn’t the best but it’s far from terrible, excellent value. Love the klymit pad. The knife can get gummed up so I bought a very small multi tool with pliers to get a stuck blade out.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
Agree on the space blanket, a space bag like the sol bivy will at least stay in place. My take on rain pants for Colorado is this, we are not a place for serious prolonged rain but at altitude especially when exposed in the open it’s likely to turn into sleet and hail. It feels like ice cubes running down your body for fifteen minutes, not fun get some good pants and jacket.

I have the same sleeping bag, pad, knife and rf. I use my knife for all chores not just the animal so I bring six blades. The bag isn’t the best but it’s far from terrible, excellent value. Love the klymit pad. The knife can get gummed up so I bought a very small multi tool with pliers to get a stuck blade out.

Well you guys sold me on run pants.

Yea the bag is decent. I slept in it down in the 20s but had to put on some layers. I think it will last me until I can upgrade. It’s high on the upgrade list though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well you guys sold me on run pants.

Yea the bag is decent. I slept in it down in the 20s but had to put on some layers. I think it will last me until I can upgrade. It’s high on the upgrade list though.

I forgot to mention that I also have insulated pants and will sleep in my puffy if needed. There’s a difference between dipping into the 20’s and being in the 20’s all night. I have found my insulated clothes to add about eight degrees to my bag. I put them both on at night before any chill so I go to bed as warm as possible.

Heavy weight base layer pants seems like overkill unless they are primarily for night camp use. Any walking in them and I'd be sweating up a storm.

mcseal2

WKR
I think you have a good list. There are a few things I'd personally do different, that doesn't mean you should. Pack what makes YOU comfortable.

I'd go away from the heavy Core bottoms. I find that either no base layer, or a light Aerowool plus the Kuiu Kenai zip off puffy pants is better for me. Less sweating when moving and more warmth when glassing or waiting for an animal to cooperate. They are also ligher than the Sitka pants

I like the replaceable blade knives for processing game. I like the Outdoor Edge for skinning, the Havalon Piranta for caping. My problem is I feel more comfortable with a more solid knife when in the woods. My solution is to leave the replaceable blade knives behind when weight matters. If I carry a replaceable blade knife and a small multitool to change blades I feel like I'm just adding weight over a traditional knife without much gain. I carry a folder or fixed blade that I trust and maybe a Tyto with a couple blades as a back-up. I bought an old Gerber Bolt Action Exchange blade folder off Ebay a while back that has a utility, skinning, hunting, and saw blade. I sometimes just pack it with an extra blade for a total of 3.7oz and call it good. If I lose the folder the spare blade and tape in my kit can still get me through an animal. Benchmade makes some tiny carbide sharpeners too if you want to pack just a fixed blade that will get enough of an edge back to finish an animal if necessary.

I also would not pack so many water filtration methods. If I didn't expect freezing temps I'd pack the Sawyer and leave the Steripen. If I did expect cold I'd switch that. If a Sawyer freezes it can ruin it and you may not know it's ruined. That could cause issues.

Long term if you plan to keep packing a battery and solar panel I'd switch as much stuff as possible to charge off it. I currently use a Steripen, BD Re-Volt headlamp, and my I phone that all charge off my Dark Energy battery pack. Depending on the hunt it can make more sense to pack an extra battery pack than a solar panel also.

Good luck on your hunt!

I usually use my space bag as the ground sheet when processing the meat. I hope that my chances of needing it are over now I am just packing out.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
I think you have a good list. There are a few things I'd personally do different, that doesn't mean you should. Pack what makes YOU comfortable.

I'd go away from the heavy Core bottoms. I find that either no base layer, or a light Aerowool plus the Kuiu Kenai zip off puffy pants is better for me. Less sweating when moving and more warmth when glassing or waiting for an animal to cooperate. They are also ligher than the Sitka pants

I like the replaceable blade knives for processing game. I like the Outdoor Edge for skinning, the Havalon Piranta for caping. My problem is I feel more comfortable with a more solid knife when in the woods. My solution is to leave the replaceable blade knives behind when weight matters. If I carry a replaceable blade knife and a small multitool to change blades I feel like I'm just adding weight over a traditional knife without much gain. I carry a folder or fixed blade that I trust and maybe a Tyto with a couple blades as a back-up. I bought an old Gerber Bolt Action Exchange blade folder off Ebay a while back that has a utility, skinning, hunting, and saw blade. I sometimes just pack it with an extra blade for a total of 3.7oz and call it good. If I lose the folder the spare blade and tape in my kit can still get me through an animal. Benchmade makes some tiny carbide sharpeners too if you want to pack just a fixed blade that will get enough of an edge back to finish an animal if necessary.

I also would not pack so many water filtration methods. If I didn't expect freezing temps I'd pack the Sawyer and leave the Steripen. If I did expect cold I'd switch that. If a Sawyer freezes it can ruin it and you may not know it's ruined. That could cause issues.

Long term if you plan to keep packing a battery and solar panel I'd switch as much stuff as possible to charge off it. I currently use a Steripen, BD Re-Volt headlamp, and my I phone that all charge off my Dark Energy battery pack. Depending on the hunt it can make more sense to pack an extra battery pack than a solar panel also.

Good luck on your hunt!

How long does your headlamp usually last and how long to recharge. I have been considering going to one but the thing that keeps me from doing that is the idea of having it go dead in me while I’m taking care of an animal or something else that is somewhat pressing. With a battery powered one I can be back full blast in a couple min.

Several of you have mentioned getting a small Gerber for pulling blades. I haven’t had that issue on this knife yet, granted I’ve only done 5 white tails with it, but is that something that’s bound to happen or are you taking them as a precaution?