Headlamp Flashlights

CTaylor

FNG
What does everyone use or recommend ??? don't want to spend a ton of money, but a good light is always a must have.

bsnedeker

WKR
What does everyone use or recommend ??? don't want to spend a ton of money, but a good light is always a must have.

I carry 2 headlamps and a flashlight. Black Diamond Spot for my main light, and a Petzl elight for a backup, I also carry a Fenix e12 flashlight in my pocket at all times. I also carry a small backup flashlight in my possibles pouch without a battery in it to save valuable ounces!

The only thing I really wish I had was good red spotlight for walking at night. Most headlamps these days come with a "proximity" red light feature, not a spot. I've tried hiking with those proximity lights and it's impossible. Seems like the best option is to just put a red filter over your white light from what I have seen.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Princeton Tec Apex, I've used mine for about 8 years now and it's never failed me. I like the fact that it uses common AA batteries.

mcseal2

WKR
I use a Black Diamond ReVolt with a Black Diamond Storm as my back-up. I like the lock feature on them, and have had good luck with both. I have considered getting a lighter back-up, but I like the features of this one. Someday I might get a smaller one. I have a little single AAA Fenix light I used to carry as a back-up but it got accidentally turned on once so I went away from it.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run a black diamond spot (older style) which can lock off thus it doesn't turn on in my pack like other push button ones sometimes do and also the modes are all dimmable vs fixed intensities.

If lower cost is the goal the petzl tikkina and tikka are bread and butter headlamps that work fine. If you want extra frills then there are other options. I just grabbed the kids some tikkina from here onsale $16:

Petzl Tikkina Headlamp

They have the tikka also which has red proximity lighting (as noted above limited usefulness):

Petzl Tikka<< Headlamp

One nice thing about the newer petzl headlamps is they make a lithium ion battery pack for them if you want to get one of those, the perk I see in that aside from wasting less regular batteries is that you can top it off before each trip. I am sure other manufacturers do stuff like that too, I just noticed it with petzl since I just bought some.

ethan

WKR
I run a black diamond spot for my main headlamp and a pretzel e lite for my backup. But the more I use the elite the more I think it would be a good main light.

I echo the point about Petzel. Love my Tac tikka. Relatively cheap and reliable.

I did a bit of an upgrade last year and checked out a few offerings.

Petzel and black diamond were strong choices.

At the higher end of the price range, I bought a Felix and a zebra. Of those two I preferred the zebra. Simple, tough design. Apart from lacking a red light I can’t find anything to fault about it. Their website is a bit wacky and you have to buy batteries and chargers but I think it is a good overall value and expect it will be my go to light for a long time.

2 head lamps
No need for hand held
I like my hands free any way

I use rechargeable type so extra batteries aren't needed

All my electronics are rechargeable now, so I don't carry any extra batteries

Carrying 2 headlamps is all you need on you

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Black diamond storm and the energizer kids headlamp(1.2oz) that takes 2032 batteries. I've used the energizer regular ones too and they work great but gotta switch batteries around to make sure they don't flip on accidentally in pack and burn the batts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Get one with a lock function and remember it might make the difference between finding a down animal or finding camp. Pretty important piece of gear really and the petzyl elight is a pretty nice little backup light too. I used the Princeton Tec for years and wouldn't hesitate to go into the woods with them again, but the Black Diamond headlamps we bought last year are a step up and have a lock function on the switch.

Akicita

WKR
I carry 2 Black Diamond Storms with me everywhere and on extended trips or when in base camp take my Terralux TT4 flashlight.

FlyGuy

WKR
zebra light 18650 with a backup e lite by petzel
Exact same set up for me. Love that zebra.

If I have a truck camp, then I'll leave an extra headlamp (BD Spot) in my basecamp shelter to use around camp and keep my Zebra stored in my pack. When I get tired I get forgetful, and I have a fear of being 6 miles of deadfall from camp at nightfall and then suddenly realizing that I my headlamp is back at my tent.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
Exact same set up for me. Love that zebra.

If I have a truck camp, then I'll leave an extra headlamp (BD Spot) in my basecamp shelter to use around camp and keep my Zebra stored in my pack. When I get tired I get forgetful, and I have a fear of being 6 miles of deadfall from camp at nightfall and then suddenly realizing that I my headlamp is back at my tent.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I have a zippered pouch from Granite Gear that holds my DSK (daypack survival kit). It has my medical, fire, and repair kits plus some odds and ends. I keep it as minimal as I can and don't get carried away but my spare headlamp is always in this kit. It is always in whatever pack I'm taking so I always have those essentials.

Jardo

WKR
I'm a flashlight nerd and have a bunch. If you want the best, zebra light H600 is the only choice. Of you don't want to mess with 18650 batteries then the h53 is 1st runner up and takes AA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk