Tablets for Off-inline Use - Gaia and OnX maps

Since my laptop is on its way out and I hardly use it very much anyway. Im thinking of going the cheaper, smaller and more portable route.

Wondering what tablets you guys are using, specifically which ones support downloading maps while on Wifi and then have the capability to load those maps and use a GPS function to locate when out of wifi or cellular range. Will be using GAIA for navigation and Onx for public/private land interface.

Ipad?
Samsung?
Amazon Fire?

OP
durangobrad
You might send Basemap a note and ask about their tracking. $30 for nationwide coverage.

Thanks, Im not looking for another service that does this as Im already happy with the two that I use (Gaia and Onx). Im just looking for tablets that are compatible for offline use.

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
Any android or IOS tablet will work as long as its GPS enabled. Anything you get from a cell provider should have a GPS. You might not need the GPS to install the app but you will if you want to see your location on the map.

MIKEYB

WKR
I carry an Ipad mini 4 with me in the back country for entertainment (Ie podcasts, movies/books, music, pics na videos of the family) and use down loaded maps and aerial views on it when I want to have a bigger view/screen. Works good for me, fits in a kifaru tombstone and battery will last over a week easily.

May not be for the once counters, but I think its worth having.

I use earthmate and onx. . .

Ajstro

FNG
I carry an Ipad mini 4 with me in the back country for entertainment (Ie podcasts, movies/books, music, pics na videos of the family) and use down loaded maps and aerial views on it when I want to have a bigger view/screen. Works good for me, fits in a kifaru tombstone and battery will last over a week easily.

May not be for the once counters, but I think its worth having.

I use earthmate and onx. . .

Have you had any issues with weight or size of the mini while in the backcountry? I'm trying to decide if I should go with OnX on the Mini or an iphone Plus? I have an older iphone so I would need an upgrade to use OnX, but the mini is alot cheaper. I can also use the Mini in my professional life, where a bigger screen would be appreciated.

MIKEYB

WKR
got the mini for similar reasons, needed an upgrade and also had a work phone. I got tired of the two phone shuffle. So went to the mini. The issue with my work phone was that it was a basic iPhone with no storage. So I couldn’t have maps, aerial views, podcasts, music downloads or any pictures or videos on it. It still went and rode in the front pocket it just served as a texting device and quick basic map reference for the inreach.

The problem with the mini is the extra weight and it not as convenient. You can’t trust throw it in you pocket and go. I had it in the back pack. If you ran a large pouch on you belt you could have it there or it will fit in the kifaru tombstone.

It comes in handy in the morning and night when I can play podcasts and look at pics of the family. During the day when I break I’ll look at the sat view.

Get the most memory available is my only advise.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
My cell phone didnt have the room to download the maps from OnXmaps for the unit I wanted to go to, and the screen isnt really that big. My GPS is a older one and the screen is also small and hard to see details. Instead of spending money on a new phone or GPS I looked into the tablet option and bought a Levono tab4 8inch. The thing with OnX is you have to have a lot of ram on the tablet to load the program as I was told it will not load onto a SD card. The Levono comes with 16mb ram so it was able to load up the program and download all the maps I needed for my unit.

July 4th I headed into the field with the tablet for a 4 day scouting trip. I am loving this setup and the large screen of the tablet. Battery life was great and it ran for days before I had to charge it back up. I had this thing running ALOT as I was driving a huge unit and looking on the screen as where I was and where I was going. Hiking into springs and water holes it was always on. The best thing for me was the tablet was only 99 bucks and it was well worth it. I am very happy with the purchase.

Ajstro

FNG
For those running smaller tablets, have you thought about storing them in your bino harness? I know companies like FHF has a mesh pocket on the back.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Do you need a phone/data plan for the gsp to work on these gps enabled tablets?

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
I've used Gaia on my iPad, but never carry it into the field with me. No phone or data plan required. Just download maps over Wifi so you have them when you're out of range.

Dwnorton1

FNG
You do not need data plan for GPS to function. But does have to be Ipad with cellular data availability built in as the wifi only units don't have GPS chip, at least older models when i got mine couple years ago.

CWM Bhntr

FNG
Will be testing the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 Wifi soon. My understanding that the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 (Wifi only) has GPS, (BeiDou, Galileo, and Glonass) that can be enabled to track. I am buying one today an will report back as to if it works in the field (Colorado archery elk hunting next week) with offline maps. My understanding it will work just like my Samsung Galaxy S10+ smartphone due to the tablet having GPS capabilities mentioned above. Will really like the larger screen for basecamp and at the truck vs the smaller phone screen. I am getting older and the larger screen is nice.