Gear secure in backcountry??

pbcarch

WKR
So just curious what everyone's experiences have been with your gear that you left back at camp or at the truck. Plan on possibly leaving some stuff or items not using for the day at spike camp.

Anyone ever have issues with gear walking off ?

Paul

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
I haven't but I don't leave gear in my vehicle and drive a ratty old car to the trailhead vs. a nice truck, no tinted windows, no "there might be cool stuff inside" covers, etc..

If I have a spike camp it depends where I am. If remote/few visitors I just leave it. If it's near a trail it gets hauled up in a tree or secreted behind some cover. Sucks to have to deal with that but it's reality.

Secret wish is to hide a trail camera near my vehicle and catch someone breaking in!

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my vehicle broke into twice in 4 years at a trail head. Once they got nothing, the other time I left my handgun on accident locked in the console. They broke that open and stole it. :(

A lot depends on where you are leaving your vehicle. Out of sight will deter most people but someone really committed won’t be deterred so there aren’t great answers.

For stuff left back at camp, I will generally stash sensitive items somewhere away from camp. I like tents and gear in muted or earth colors so I can stay low profile.

I've had my vehicle broke into twice in 4 years at a trail head. Once they got nothing, the other time I left my handgun on accident locked in the console. They broke that open and stole it. :(
Wow. Twice in four years is pretty depressing. That really sucks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Was it the same trailhead? Was it during hunting season or off season? Also, was this close to a larger population center, or a remote area primarily used by hikers and hunters?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I always try to tuck into a side road when I'm parking. Hopefully fewer people will encounter it. I suppose if they do and have bad intent, they've got a secluded place to go through all my things.

I get way off trail when I'm spiking. Then I don't worry about my camp, but there's not usually anything in my spike camp but a tent, bag, and pad, and a food bag hung somewhere nearby.

WillLight

FNG
I've had the same concern. I mounted a metal gun cabinet in my jeep so i could secure cameras, guns and other valuable gear when parked at remote places. It was obvious but virtually impossible to remove. Definitely discourages the smash and grab crowd.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Wow you guys are making me nervous....I thought it was just an east coast thing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
I'm pretty paranoid and will drive into trail heads that are rougher roads or further back even if it means adding distance to my hike.... and I usually clean the inside of my truck out before leaving to hunt

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been fortunate and have not experienced any problems. Hopefully it stays that way and I’m not jinxing myself here.
I started dropping a concealed trail cam along the road into my camp to catch the back license plate of a vehicle that goes into or up to my camp. So far its just been people turning around but it helps if you came back and your camp has been robbed.
I jot down the plate number of any encounters with sketchy vehicles. Usually two tweakers stick out from everybody else and its worth paying attention to who they are and where theyre heading.
A few times I have burried expensive gear outside camp a ways under a clump of pine needles and sticks. Same thing with important Rx medications that we take as we slow down a little.
I put my name on or in every piece of gear I have in a place thats easy to see and additionally in places that aren’t easy to locate.
On my way out of camp I kick fesh dirt in the road to my camp so if somebody came in and robbed it I can see what brand tires they’ve got or see if anybody has come in while I am out.
Hiding or storing gear in vehicles is tough. My biggest worry is getting my toolbox pried open and chainsaw stolen. I haven’t figured out that one yet.
I will keep valuables out of open sight. Hide stuff in cars the same way smugglers do. Put that spare rifle under the hood while youre at the trailhead. Rarely do people pop hoods while doing car burgs. Other stuff fits in there too theres a ton of room if the engine is cold. Drop the glove box down and stick a handgun or expensive binos in there behind it and then put glove box back up. Leave it unlocked with your regisration papers and spare batteries and earplugs. The seat pan up under your seats holds small items handgun to gps or cell phone size. Up above the pedals you can access some free space under the dash along firewall.
Most everybody puts a paper plate directing the way to their camp. I know a guy who puts a paper plate up at entrance road to camp that says something like “Anderson family camp 2018”. Leaving the impression more people will be coming in and out of camp periodically rather than just the one guy who is actually there all week.