What is the one ‘non-essential’ item you take on every hunt?

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
My Bose noise cancelling earphones. I have a corded earbud style that is light and compact. The sound, quality and durability make them worth every penny! My hunting partner snores and I’m a light sleeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

caws907

FNG
I bring my iPad to watch movies on rainy days. Although, last year it was so windy and nasty we couldn't hear anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
Book - not essential until you are weathered in for a whole day. Also great for starting fires, leaving notes, etc.

Kindle paperwhite, lighter than multiple books or mags. Love to have time to actually read a novel....never do at home. part of the hunting adventure for me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
To base camp I always take A&W rootbeer, but for packing in I don't take anything non-essential. But I haven't had a soda in months so I doubt that the A&W will make the trip this year.

My Bose noise cancelling earphones. I have a corded earbud style that is light and compact The sound, quality and durability make them worth every penny! My hunting partner snores and I’m a light sleeper ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Headphones for sure, also good to download a bunch of podcasts and listen to those while glassing.

oldgoat

WKR
I've got a bunch of them, they all have to do with actually killing an animal or processing it after, but this year is going to be different!

Peanut M&M’s and Skittles are staples in my pack. Not necessary but they sure make me feel better. And the sugar is a nice energy boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a small rhino that goes everywhere with me. My kids gave it to me in September of 2006 and I’ve carried it everyday since then.

mcseal2

WKR
A fixed blade knife or at least a second blade for my Gerber Bolt Action folding knife that can function as a second knife if needed. I feel like a knife, lighter, and headlamp are the items important enough I don't want to have just one. I'm thinking of getting a Benchmade Altitude to leave in my little fire/med/repair kit I always pack as my designated second knife. I could use it for finer work on game and have it as a lightweight back-up.

I keep lots of stuff at the truck, whiskey included!