Why tyto?

What does one of these tyto knives have over a regular replaceable blade scalpel that you can get for a couple bucks at a medical supply store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t own a typo but I tried using a disposable scalpel on a deer. Handle was too thin to maneuver as I would have liked and it broke after 5 minutes. Not sure if what you had in mind is more tough but I would not try it again.

OP
skaldugwas
Don’t own a typo but I tried using a disposable scalpel on a deer. Handle was too thin to maneuver as I would have liked and it broke after 5 minutes. Not sure if what you had in mind is more tough but I would not try it again.

I haven’t used one but they make them with rubberized grip as well as other handle options that look a little more hunter friendly.
I’m mainly wondering if the blades of the tyto are stronger and if the connection of the blades to the handle are stronger than standard scalpels.

Just from looking online and not being able to handle one in person the tyto looks just like a scalpel with a beefier handle and kydex sheath. I like the idea but not the price tag.

mcseal2

WKR
I have one but bought it this summer and haven't used it on game yet so take this review for what it's worth.

Mine with the handle, sheath, a blade installed and 5 more 60XT Havalon blades in the packaging weigh 1.9oz. That's a lot of cutting for minimal weight. I don't have a grip on mine just the skeleton steel handle.

I could darn sure do any elk or smaller animal with that set up. It's easier to clean than a folding Havalon, less places for fat and gunk to build up. I don't know what the scalpels you guys are talking about have for blade thickness, it may or may not be equal to the 60XT. The handle on this one is steel and pretty darn tough.

I bought mine primarily for cleaning skulls on the moose hunt a buddy and I have lined up this fall. It's a drop camp hunt through a transporter where we will be on our own for 10 days. We will be flown in and have a Sat phone we rent but it's not like a normal western hunt where we are within a half day's hike hustling while dropping elevation to be back at the truck. We are taking a bit larger med kit (about a pound) and were thinking of a disposable scalpel as an item to include. I've had to use a knife to lance infections, trim skin off wounds before gluing or taping them shut, various stuff over the years on the ranch. I did a lot of this with knives that weren't to sanitary at the time and it worked. We don't go to doctors unless things get bad if we can help it. Using a blade that just came out of a sealed foil package seems like a smarter way to do this near an open wound than what I've done in the past when help is further away. We booked this hunt in 2015 and have had WAY to much time to analyze the details if you can't tell. I spend way to much time baling hay by myself listening to hunting podcasts.

The Tyto is a multi use item that can help butcher an animal, be really handy cleaning a skull, and still do what the scalpel would for under 2oz with more than enough blades for a whole elk. I like having multi use items so it just made sense to me. It will never be the only knife I take on any trip. I carry a fixed blade on the ranch that I abuse and I like having a solid fixed blade or at least a sturdy folder along when in the back country. I hope to never need them in a bad scenario, but 2 fire starting methods and 1 good knife is 8oz that I'll pack anywhere for the peace of mind they bring me if nothing else. They are my comfort items I won't compromise on. This Tyto makes a good supplement to a knife I'd use popping joints, skinning, or for camp work while still having sterile blades if something goes wrong. I tend to be decent at losing stuff myself, and in 2016 we spent about 6 hours driving back across the unit so my buddy could recover his Grandpa's knife he realized he left while processing his best muley. Having a back-up knife isn't a terrible idea on most hunts for us at a 2oz weight penalty. His Grandpa would agree and laugh at us.

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
I've never used the cheaper scalpel knives you refer to but have heard of them. I really like my Tyto and feel the handle shape and, if you choose, Paracord wrap help make it more ergonomic to use. I've used it on a lot of trout and one elk and really appreciate how easy it is to clean up compared to my old havalon. I also feel it's easier to change out the blades safely vs. the havalon but don't have a way to compare to the scalpel knives.

As a side note, mine holds the thicker 60A blades just fine though it doesn't come standard with them.

If you want it, it's a great lightweight setup. If you can't get over the price buy the cheaper scalpel and see how it performs. You can always upgrade later. In my opinion neither should be your only knife in the Backcountry so it won't hurt to start out with the cheaper option and see how it works for you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Back in the early 80's I got the bright idea that a scalpel would be the way to go for breaking down animals. So I took one hunting with the blades. Those blades dulled so stinking fast just while skinning that I abandoned that idea for decades. I figured the Havalon was similar and refused to try one because of my experience. But finally caved and tried a Havalon for the first time in 2016. It was 1000 times better than my original test. So perhaps blades overall have gotten better, or scalpels are still best used on humans???? I still use my fixed blade knife, but I also incorporate the Havalon into it as well.

468697CF-A5BD-44C9-A37F-948CF43283D5.jpgI like the havalons, and have used them on several deer and elk. The idea of a fixed blade style like this appealed to me, but, like you, I searched for a cost effective solution.

The Tyto is a slick knife. It is also something I would lose or give to someone and not get back. So I looked on Havalons website. They have a blue plastic handle for scalpel blades for under 5 bucks. I bought a couple when I was stocking up on blades one day. Then I realized I needed a sheath if I wanted to leave a blade on it. So I bought a sheet of kydex off of eBay, and some rivets, and taught myself how to make a sheath. It was in. This is a pic of the work in progress. Works great, about a $7.50 total investment plus blades.

Gerber makes a fixed blade style that will use havalon blades too.

OP
skaldugwas
View attachment 76820I like the havalons, and have used them on several deer and elk. The idea of a fixed blade style like this appealed to me, but, like you, I searched for a cost effective solution.

The Tyto is a slick knife. It is also something I would lose or give to someone and not get back. So I looked on Havalons website. They have a blue plastic handle for scalpel blades for under 5 bucks. I bought a couple when I was stocking up on blades one day. Then I realized I needed a sheath if I wanted to leave a blade on it. So I bought a sheet of kydex off of eBay, and some rivets, and taught myself how to make a sheath. It was in. This is a pic of the work in progress. Works great, about a $7.50 total investment plus blades.

Gerber makes a fixed blade style that will use havalon blades too.

Perfect!

For those who aren't a fan of the skeleton handle - I took some large shrink-tube and put it on the handle with a heat gun. I found mine a bit slick when cleaning fish this summer and didn't want the hassle of wrapping a paracord handle.

A can of Plasti-Dip from the hardware store would work also, more expensive and less color choices. Makes for a very durable grip, no appreciable weight difference, and easily replaceable.

Any good electronics/radio shop should have a few pieces of shrink-tube for less than $1/ft. At work now but can post a pic tomorrow if anybody is interested.

Just a side note - Amazon has shrink-tube in all different diameters and colors. At our radio shop each technician has a "color" they ID their tools with and shrink-tube has been the ticket to put on the handles of everything. The shrink-tube lasts about 6 months of hard daily use on handtools if that gives a measure of durability.

akspudus

FNG
I bought a Tyto early this spring. I wrapped the handle myself. I also carry a couple of blunt tipped blades with the regular blades.
I shot a spring bear and used the Tyto on him. The blunt tipped blades worked great for most of the bulk skinning and quartering. No holes in the hide. I switched over to a smaller scalpel blade when I popped the head.
I do like the handle. I like being able to swap blade styles without carrying extra knive.
Before I got this handle I skinned and quartered an entire bison with a havalon. The bison took about five blades to complete. I didn’t break any blades, just dulled them. I’m a believer in havalons. They work great if you cut and don’t pry with the blade. The bison came apart pretty easy...you just have to work the anatomy of each joint.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
You could also get plasti dip at home depot and put the scalpel handle in that for a rubberized grip similar to pliers, etc.

As far as the tyto I bought one just to try. I like the tyto the most compared to the gerber and outdoor edge knives I have. However, for half the price they all work fine. If I would of thought of the scalpel handle with plastidip first I probably would have done that, but I like trying new things.

OP
skaldugwas
bc678ad38c8c119f6477d60e53f8901f.jpg

Been playing with this for a few days and At 0.7 oz and a total investment of $12 (handle + blades) i don’t see my self getting a tyto. The handle is pretty comfy, I have been using it to clean up euro mounts. The blades are 60xt the same as used on a tyto or havalon. Seems like a pretty solid back up “forget you have it knife” or something to leave in the bino harness.