Opinions on Sunglasses

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Curious as to what everyone’s taking with them on their hunts. Heading to northern BC in a couple weeks and finishing getting things dialed in. Not as bad as the NWT but it is light out for a Long time up there.

I’ve always taken polorized, but the gas station style so when I sit on em or they fall out of the jet boat I don’t sweat it too much. Driving the boat and hiking above treeline I think I may venture into buying a real set of glasses. I walked into the sports store today to check out the Oakley Prizm line. Talk about confusing! So many different lenses to choose from.

What’re you looking for in a set of glasses, specific to helping with contrast on hillsides and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I have a couple pairs of costa that use fly fishing. Good glasses are must for sight fishing. I carry them over and use them everyday, that includes going in my pack for hunts. There are days they don’t get used but when I need them it’s sure is nice to have them. I find that like amber is the best color for most outdoor applications, fishing and hunting. Yes there are days a darker glass like grey works better however ion avg the brighter color of Amber allows me to per in the shadows and brightens this up.

tracker12

WKR
I bought a pair of Costa 2 years ago. Have bought a second pair since then and doubt I will wear any other. Amazing how nice good glasses are. I have both glass and carbonate. For me I like the lighter weight of the non glass..

kickemall

WKR
Another vote for Costa Del Mar. However, since they are expensive, I've had good luck with Shady Rays at a 1/4 the price.

They are forbidden on our hunts because of light reflection. Curious to hear opinions on that. I always assumed it was a universal thought. And I dont even wear camo.

TheCougar

WKR
I love my Oakley Flak Jacket. They are bomb proof. They have been stepped on, destroyed by toddlers, sat on, etc. I’ve had them in two war zones over the last 5 years and they have never let me down.

Fitzwho

WKR
I’ve been running WileyX and liking them. While hunting I end up not wearing them just because if I’m glassing a bunch I find myself taking them on and off and end up just putting them up.

FlyGuy

WKR
I use oakley half jackets. Affordable price in their line. Will stay put on top of uour head, hat or back of your neck so you don't have to set them down or put them in a pocket to get scratched.

If they do get scratched, you can buy cheap knock off replacement lenses from Amazon in 100 different colors, polar, mirror etc. I keep a set with me sometimes. The bag the replacement lenses come in also works as a great little bag for your diaphragm calls.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I have been wearing Costas for 12 or 14 years, and still wear them a lot. I have always liked them, and for full coverage situations they are good. I just got a pair of Flak Jacket Oakley Prizms though, and they are great for situations where I will be working up a sweat, and fogging up may be a problem, like backpack hunting. I've heard people say their polarized lenses are better than Costas, but I haven't had them on the water yet. And like was mentioned, they stay where you put them like on your head, better than the Costas I've had.

LaHunter

WKR
Another vote for Oakley Flak Jackets for hunting. The frames are very tough and lightweight. The lens options are endless. I have the regular grey lenses in mine that came with them when I bought them.

Last edited:

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
Costa and Maui Jim in that order . I flyfish all the time so i do not buy a pair of sunglasses unless they are polarized .

OP
HankBC

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
You guys running darker lenses in those flak jackets? I tried on a pair and they fit nicely. Comfortable and feel like they’ll stay in place. I think they would be an outdoors only set since my lady told me I look like I’m “trying to be the cool dad taking his kids skiing”

Another vote for flak jackets tried new prizm lenses at our Oakley outlet three or four degrees of light blocking leaning towards deep water polarized they will take my old beat up jackets on trade too

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Maui Jims, but they are prescription. I can't see well enough through regular sunglasses. I have them on a lanyard, one of the thin wire types. I wear them every year in the mountains and always on the water back home. Never had a problem with them hanging around my neck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Loebs

Lil-Rokslider
I forgot to mention, than a green or brown tint really helps with the contrast. The natural colors really seem to "pop out", especially animals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk