Cost effective packable rain gear?

I've got a marmot rain jacket off Amazon a few years back for less than. $70. I don't wear it backpacking, but I do any day it rains at work.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ercas

FNG
The Frogg Togg Ultralight set only weighs 10 oz for the mediums, and is under $20.

mcseal2

WKR
I've had Cabelas Space Rain and it works for light rains but isn't super durable. Frog Toggs are probably less durable but also work. My recommendation in the cheap/light category would be the Marmot Precip. It's not super durable but mine has held up to more than the first two did.

The Kuiu Outlet store on their site has the NX rain pants on sale now for $90 if they have his size. I haven't tried them but the Yukon pants I have fit better than the Sitka or Kryptek heavy duty pants I tried before them.

Trial153

WKR
Look for filson rain pants, they were made in Canada. I bought three pairs. For like 65 each. I figured I would chew through them. However they are holding up great. Still on the first pair and no end in sight. I sold one pair on here and still one new. I have issue

What's price range? Check kuiu outlet and kryptek clearance section if he wants hunting brand clothing

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is hoping for around 80ish for the set.

What size? I was going to list some Kuiu Teton after my hunt next week. They are 2x. Never worn in the field, too long for my father in law so I don’t have a reason to keep them around.

jrnorton4

FNG
What size? I was going to list some Kuiu Teton after my hunt next week. They are 2x. Never worn in the field, too long for my father in law so I don’t have a reason to keep them around.

Hey man, do you still have this set? Please PM me if so.
Sorry to hijack thread, but lost my rain gear to Wyoming BLM barbed wire earlier this month.

Fatcamp

WKR
I use Space Rain as well and it doubles as outer layer during cold mornings and when I stop to glass.

Great performance, but not Alaska worthy rain performance.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Frog toggs are a little noisier than pricier technical fabric when you first get them. It's more of a fireplace crinkle than a nylon pants style record scratch. They soften up and quiet down pretty quick after you wear them a few times.

Frog toggs don't breathe at all and really "seal in the flavor". So you probably won't be wearing them unless it's actively raining in which case all the noises you make will be muffled anyways.

Another variable - when and where is this rain gear going to be used?

Early seasons hunts vs. late season makes a difference, so does it being some place like Alaska.

Early season I run OR Helium, late season I'm all for something burly like Kuiu Yukon.

At that price, Frog Toggs are probably it.