Allen Company Backcountry Meat Bag

wapitibob

WKR
save your money. I used their outfitter bags for decades. Bought those thinking they would be like the other synthetics; not even close. Went back to sportsmans and bought the Caribou brand "wapiti" 5 pc set.
The new back country allens were twice the bulk and twice the weight of the Caribou set. I suggest the Caribou brand or the brand that is sold thru this site.

I run the backcountry allens for two years now. They have packed muley and goat quarters. After each pack I went home and threw them in the wash machine (when wife wasn't home) and they are still like new. I'm sure compared to caribu bags they are heavy, but I have all 4 in a medium pull out ready to roll. For $25 bucks you can't go wrong. I paid $30 2 years ago.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm going to have to order some because even my TAG Bomb bags weigh 10.2oz and they are about as light as they come. 7.2oz sounds pretty darn good to me. Four 20x30 bags would take care of the meat on just about any bull. Plus I'd prefer a wider opening than the 13" on the Bomb bags.

For years I used the Allen Outfitter bags in the $4 packs from Walmart and still have a bunch of those. But they are heavy and bulky. Good find on these. I sure hope they are 7.2oz.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run the backcountry allens for two years now. They have packed muley and goat quarters. After each pack I went home and threw them in the wash machine (when wife wasn't home) and they are still like new. I'm sure compared to caribu bags they are heavy, but I have all 4 in a medium pull out ready to roll. For $25 bucks you can't go wrong. I paid $30 2 years ago.

Well, I have used them the last two years and I really like them, especially for the backpack hunter which is what I mostly do. Very durable, light weight and clean up nice. Can't say enough good about them although I paid about twice that for them at D and B supply. That is a damn good price. Tell you what, if you buy them for that price and don't like them, I will buy them from you. You won't be disappointed.

Randy

I'm going to have to order some because even my TAG Bomb bags weigh 10.2oz and they are about as light as they come. 7.2oz sounds pretty darn good to me. Four 20x30 bags would take care of the meat on just about any bull. Plus I'd prefer a wider opening than the 13" on the Bomb bags.

For years I used the Allen Outfitter bags in the $4 packs from Walmart and still have a bunch of those. But they are heavy and bulky. Good find on these. I sure hope they are 7.2oz.

How much do you want for your bomb bags?

mdog

FNG
The Allen bags can't be used like a gunny sack where you grab the top of the bag and all the meat/quarter falls to the bottom. The bags are not strong enough and will also stretch, allowing flies access. So, tie one separate loop of line to the quarter. Place the quarter in the Allen bag or roll the bag over the quarter. Now use another piece of line to close the top of bag. I use a constrictor knot to securely close the bag to the boney top of the quarter or directly to the first loop tied to the quarter. The Allen bag now is loosely draped over the quarter, not stretched by the quarter and the top of the bag closed. When you pick up the bagged quarter do so by grabbing the quarter AND the bag....or by the loop tied to the quarter. Hang the bagged quarter by the loop tied to the quarter. Again the Allen bag supports no weight and acts only as a barrier to insect and dirt while allowing the meat to form a dry "skin." If you can't figure this out then use the TAG or Caribou bags.

Manosteel

WKR
The Allen bags can't be used like a gunny sack where you grab the top of the bag and all the meat/quarter falls to the bottom. The bags are not strong enough and will also stretch, allowing flies access. So, tie one separate loop of line to the quarter. Place the quarter in the Allen bag or roll the bag over the quarter. Now use another piece of line to close the top of bag. I use a constrictor knot to securely close the bag to the boney top of the quarter or directly to the first loop tied to the quarter. The Allen bag now is loosely draped over the quarter, not stretched by the quarter and the top of the bag closed. When you pick up the bagged quarter do so by grabbing the quarter AND the bag....or by the loop tied to the quarter. Hang the bagged quarter by the loop tied to the quarter. Again the Allen bag supports no weight and acts only as a barrier to insect and dirt while allowing the meat to form a dry "skin." If you can't figure this out then use the TAG or Caribou bags.

I get that you would do that for their other bags, but these bags are being marketed for backcountry use where hunter debone all their meat. You couldn't use your method boning out the meat.

For the guys that used them, did you use them the same way as you did with your TAG BOMB bags?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Again the Allen bag supports no weight and acts only as a barrier to insect and dirt while allowing the meat to form a dry "skin."

They say the bags are made with integrated ties that will support the weight and used to tie into a tree without twine or cord. I'm going to try the "meat bags" as I almost always debone everything. I don't like that dry skin over the meat. I like it fresh and ready to package or grind. Once it dries, there's too much waste.

woods89

WKR
For what it's worth I hauled 2 boned out whitetails out in these this year. One load was probably 60-70 lbs. They didn't break lifting them into the pack or anything and they cleaned up nice afterward. I was pretty careful how I handled them tho.

efnm

WKR
I used these on a mule deer hunt. The bags worked very well and cleaned up amazingly well, imo. You can definitely hang them from the main cinch cord, and there is a a small loop of cord on the bag that looks like it could also be used to hang the meat. However, this separate loop is not reinforced to the bag and ripped out when we tried to hang it from that. Just beware.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Thought I'd update this thread. I got the Allen Meat Bags this last week. First thing....they're heavier than Amazon advertised. I think Amazon said shipping weight was 7.2oz. They are 12.3oz with the carry bag. Still not heavy, but not as light as I thought they'd be. Secondly, they say they are made out of a "uniquely fabricated material"........have no idea what that means. At 20"x30" they remind me of pillow cases and even feel like pillow cases......although at 3oz each bag, they are lighter than the pillow cases I use on my bed which are 5oz.

I never did like the opening size on the Bomb bags, too narrow for me because I'm normally by myself trying to force meat in there. These Allen bags are bigger which should work better for me.

The material on the Tag and Caribou bags is more of a slick satin-like material. Which is better? I have no idea. I'm not real picky about my meat bags just so they carry the meat, and they are somewhat lightweight. So these should work. We'll see. I also have the Kifaru 1oz meat bag for carrying out tenderloin and back strap so shouldn't be an issue with enough space.

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping this thread up to see if anyone has anymore feedback/experience with these bags? I just got them in the mail today and, as mentioned above, they seem like pillow cases with a cinch cord. I am looking for game bags to take on a fly in moose hunt and need ~15 of them, so am having a hard time justifying TAG bags when I'll likely only need 4-5 in a regular year. Are these bags strong enough to hang 50lbs of boned out meat in a tree for a couple days? Thanks in advance!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I used mine last year for my bull, and they worked great. Cleaned up well too. I first soaked them in a small cooler with cold water and sprayed out most the blood and then tossed them in the washing machine and they came out pretty clean.

I had 268lbs of just meat between these four bags and my 1oz Kifaru bag which held the tenderloin and back strap (which was 34lbs by themselves). So about a 58lb average for the Allen bags, but I had two heavier bags and two lighter bags. They only hung in the tree for a few hours though, as we packed them out pretty quickly.

I bought another set after I got home as I wasn't as big a fan of the Kifaru bag, so will carry five of these Allen bags now.

novcie870

WKR
I used them last year also and was very happy with them. No holes, tears, or rips. Meat seemed to cool quickly and they cleaned up really well.