inexpensive sil tarp

dsclowers

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on what you consider light. BushcraftUSA (through their Bushcraft Outfitter store) has a 10x10 ripstop nylon tarp that weighs 1lb7oz for the OD green and 1lb9oz for the Coyote and they are only $60. You have to keep watching for them to be in stock because they sell out fast. They get very good reviews. you can see video reviews if you search on youtube.

bushcraftusa.com / http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com

robtattoo

WKR
I'll second the BCUSA tarp. I have the 10x7 & it's the best value for money you'll find anywhere. Light, water tight, well made, plenty of well placed tie outs...what's not to love!

Tent footprint from REI outlet (or equivalent)...works just fine!
I ended up sewing on a couple extra loops on it so I could pitch it a few different ways.

I have several of the Bushcrafter USA tarps and they are really well done for the price. Have used them several times on trips as my primary shelter and it worked out really well.

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
The one you make is going to be the least expensive and the one you'll get the most enjoyment out of. I just posted a thread on my first one in DIY. I'll be in SW CO four two weeks in September. Knowing I made my own shelter and the quality is good is a great feeling. When you design it and know every stitch, that feeling can't be beat!

work765

WKR
Question. I have my main tent in place. But I want to carry a tarp in my pack for either shade or other various uses.
What size/type tarp are you guys running when weight counts and it's not your primary shelter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
depends on what you're wanting to use it for- does it need to be large enough to cook/eat under? just one person or more?

you can get sil (or even cuben) tarps in as small as 5x5'- I carry a 5x5 in my daypack for an emergency shelter (it's 7' long on the diagonal); for something around camp I'd probably go bigger 7x7' or 8x8'

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty sure the largest width sil nylon comes in is 72 inches (6 feet). Giving up some for seam allowances, the largest single sheet tarp of silnylon you can get, without a ridge seam, is going to be about 5.5 ft. Tarps that have one dimension larger than 5.5 ft (like a 9x9) are going to be much more expensive because someone has to do the labor of stitching two pieces together.

I have a 9x5.5 jimmy tarps. I think it's 7.5 oz and was about $60 or $70. I usually wish it was a bit wider, but is fine for solo use. For two people I'd want 9x7 as a minimum. 8x10 is plenty.

For general tarp (not shelter) usage I purchased a nice piece of silnylon from Bear's Paw. I cut it down to the size I wanted and did my own hemming on the Bernina. For the heck of it I made loops from regular 550 paracord and stitched those on corners and along the sides. I wouldn't call it gorgeous but it works really well....is quite small to pack...blood washes off easily....and has a dozen uses in camp.

work765

WKR
Thanks guys! Yah. This is more of an emergency tarp/slash do it all is what I'm thinking. I'll always hAve my main tent with me. But I figured it might be nice to be able to set up some makeshift shade If need be or maybe a ground cover If needed

I got ahold of jimmy but $70 (6x9) seemed steep for what I'm looking for at the moment. -i.e. It won't be used all the time, and if it's ugly-that's okay.

I'll look into the Sil nylon. I like the idea of making it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
I bought a 5'x7' Outdoor Products PU coated nylon tarp for $10 at WalMart a while back. It's been pretty handy to have around as a beater. It weighs 9.6 ounces with the stuff sack and packs to about the size of a baseball. I'm going to pick up one to leave in the truck for shade or as an emergency loaner if someone forgets something on a trip.

Makes a decent pack cover too.

Finch

WKR
I bought a 5'x7' Outdoor Products PU coated nylon tarp for $10 at WalMart a while back. It's been pretty handy to have around as a beater. It weighs 9.6 ounces with the stuff sack and packs to about the size of a baseball. I'm going to pick up one to leave in the truck for shade or as an emergency loaner if someone forgets something on a trip.

Makes a decent pack cover too.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably pick one of these up. I also have my primary shelter taken care of but was thinking of hauling in a tarp as well for additional shelter or something to lay meat on (if we're lucky).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
Just a heads up, if it's the Outdoor Products PU tarp I'm thinking of, it's specifically listed as "water resistant" not "waterproof".