Chest rig for hunting.

Ive been thinking of doing something like that. Then I found this and I'm thinking of trying it.

Slumberjack Pursuit

I'm just not sure how it would work with a pack with the pouch on the back.

WKR
For a variety of pouches check out theopsdeck.com
That's where I got all my gear for the one I wear at work. Lots of MOLLE comparable options. Decent prices.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Car7x

WKR
I run a Mullie Freak for Vortex 8x42's, for the first couple days. Then I usually realize that the tree cover is so tight that I don't need the binos anyway, and start carrying the smartphone for OnX and the Rino in the main pouch. I have my Sig RF in the RF pouch, windchecker in the left mesh and cow call in the right mesh pockets. I keep my tag, edited paper map, and a couple yards of orange marker tape in the zip pocket - and compass if it is awkward in the main pouch. I can stay oriented and mark trail without digging into the pack.

This year I have added a MR holster to the webbing on my left shoulder strap of my SG pack, and hang my 629 4" mountain gun there - electric tape over the muzzle, long enough down the barrel sides for a re-do if necessary. That thing has to go 4 lbs. with a full wheel; I got tired of it banging my leg on the hip belt, and it was just too casual a setup for my liking, especially re-shouldering the pack.

It's a nice diagonal center chest orientation now; I was pleasantly surprised to see at least in testing it doesn't feel too unbalanced at all. I used some quick release clips borrowed from a kuiu rifle carrier, as I usually hunt archery and now have a kifaru gun bearer anyway. Easily reversed mod, regardless.

On my pack I used some 'quick attach' or 'field repair' slider tabs with some tri-glide sliders, and short lengths of nylon webbing to create a QD attachment system with 4 male 'Rock Lockster' ends to mate to the Mulie Freak female ends. I hang 2 from the sternum strap, and 1 each come in from the lower, webbing-only, part of the shoulder straps. I just unclip the 2 buckles on a side to drop the pack.

I will have the Mullie Freak harness in camp or the rig if needed. When I am moving from camp, I have the pack, and this lets me eliminate one more system for easier clothing changes, etc. Feels factory or better, and everything pops right off. The MR holster attaches quickly (though loosely) anywhere with a belt if I want to drop the pack.

For my son's SG, I realized that a variation of the bino pouch part of this mod works great for hanging the MR holster directly from his sternum strap and lower pack straps. He doesn't need the bino pouch as we are sticking fairly close together. I get a little obsessive about clean setups. When working on this sternum strap, I actually threaded one open leg of the field repair tabs into the tight webbing gap resulting from the existing clip's bar tack. I wanted a fairly permanent mount here.

It took about an hour (;/). Those sternum straps - like most manufacturer's models - can be removed or adjusted up and down the strap. I got motivated to take the time to do it this way when I realized that on the 2 SG's we own, and the MR Pintler, and probably all packs, the sternum straps can be popped off and swapped around. So, end result, we have demountable, tidy, silent and interchangeable setups now that can be moved pack to pack, or swapped out for non-enhanced 'stock' sternum straps if not hunting or in bear country.

I have a bunch of quality random plastic stuff - tri-glides, etc., in both sizes, and some various 1" buckles, etc. left over. If anyone can use them, let me know what you are looking for and if I have them I'll get 'em to you. They can be hard to source, and all plasticware is not interchangeable.

Last edited: