Using smartphone for hunting GPS

Humphr47

Lil-Rokslider
I am so excited to use Gaia on my iPhone 6+ this season. I do not like the extra weight of the old gps that isn't nearly as nice of a screen as my iPhone. I will update on how I like it at the end of an elk hunt in September.

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
BC Nav. on a Samsung Note4. Works very well. Put the phone in Airplane mode and the battery lasts a long time. I carry and extra battery pack (15000 mAh/55Wh). I also have the DeLorme InReach, which pairs with the phone. The extra battery pack charges both, including the 18650 batteries I use for my headlamp. It sure beats carrying a bunch of AA. I used it for a 6 day trip last year and didn't drain the whole battery pack. The best feature of the BC Nav app are the satellite images (USGS Color Arials) and the satellite imagery with topo overlay (USTopo Imagery with Markup; Hybrid USTopo Imagery with Accuterra). I really like having the high quality satellite images when I am bushwhacking. I have never seen a GPS with map quality like I can get on my phone, but I have also not really paid much attention to GPS units since I discovered BC Navigator.

I have used the OnXMaps and The Trimple GPS HuntFish now EOL. Both worked great. I just turn off cellular service but i dont go to into airplane mode as others cause i have noticed at least on my phones it does not track you with GPS, i have new iPhone 6 so maybe airplane mode works now.. ill have to test that. I have used the phone right next to multiple garmin GPS units before, and as long as i have downloaded the maps prior to being up in the backcountry it has worked so much better then my big clunky GPS. I have even been on hunts when originally testing the capabilities of the apps and the phone gps vs the standard Garmin and had areas where the Garmin wasnt picking up my location due to satellite interference. I wanna try Back Country Nav but i havent seen a reason to switch as OnX does a good job and gives me boundaries and so forth which is helpful, plus i can switch from topo to aerial too.

I carry a battery backup from Goal One with me, does about 5 charges before its drained. I used to use the Mophie Juice pack but that thing drains the better quicker and for some reason my iphone rejects it like a bad implant sometimes, and in those cases your screwed. Did it do me the other day when i was way back scouting, i had no battery and the juice pack stopped working. I was pretty screwed, and totally missed my destination in the timber.

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
This is good information. I tried out the OnX maps app on my Samsung S6 and could not get it to work up in the mountains. Worked fine until I got up high then the app quite and wouldn't restart. Not sure what the problem was but I don't trust it now. I was really hoping it would work

Dies anyone know if you can import kml files into onX like you could on Trimble. I have the kml of my hunt area and want to upload it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Been contemplating this topic myself. Try and use my Droid Maxx or buy a GPS.

Sounds like a lot of guys are having success with a phone and an app. Thanks guys!!

tracker12

WKR
Just got GAIA last week and used it for the first time. It worked pretty well. Took a little time to get used to but I did a few navigations and it led me right to my spots I had previously saved. I still like my Garmin for Navigation but it's nice to know I now have something on my phone that works.

newflew

FNG
I use Backcountry Nav on my Samsung S6. I have a few backup batteries I carry, depending on how long i'm going out for. I put the phone in airplane mode and get a little more then a full day on a charge checking phone maybe 6-7 times per hour. I find the phone very easy to use, much easier than a purpose built GPS, since you use your phone everyday you are used to it, which comes in handy when you are tired and trying to find camp in the dark.

zach_c

Lil-Rokslider
I use the GPS in my smart phone, Avenza PDF Maps app (free), and download USGS geo topo maps (free). With this setup you don't need cell coverage, you can mark waypoints, tracks, etc and export to KML for viewing in Google Earth or other apps on your pc.

4ester

WKR
Topo Maps + App on IPhone 5s here. Just sold my Garmin GPS as I haven't touched it in years. To be honest I think my IPhone links with the satelites just as fast as my GPS, even in some nasty timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Backcountry Navigator on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. It's loaded with optional hunting maps that show boundaries and GMU's.

I haven't used a dedicated GPS in years. The screen on my phone is better than any GPS screen, and I save weight by carrying an all in one device that can also be a phone and a ballistics calculator and music player and book reader.

Of course there is a prospect for you which will be much cheaper than that thing what you were described. I can recommend you one application that will save your money for sure. This has even those functions more than tracking the location only. Also even a possibility of access to someone else's phone or social media profiles. I use it for tracking. No, I do not hunt people, haha it's not what you thought. I'm monitoring my employees, sometimes I need to control over their location, and this app Phone Tracker Free | Mobile Tracker | Cell Phone Tracking App perfectly helps me to find it. Nothing personal only business.

Regards, Ivan

Last edited:

JP100

WKR
I have not used my gps much at all in the last 2-3 years since I got 'smart' phone.
Topo maps I have on my phone are actually way better than the GPS ones and seems to be alot faster at getting signal.

I can do a week or so on a S7 if I am conservative with battery life.,

Thess87

WKR
I got the chip and downloaded onx to my phone last year on my two week wyoming trip. I literally only took my gps out of my pack for 5 minutes the whole trip. The onx on my phone wired perfect. I sold my gps as soon as I got back.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I am leaning towards using my iPhone with Gaia and picking up a Garming Inreach mini, along with a external battery it should be the perfect setup in my mind.

Backcountry Nav Pro and an S7. I haven't used my GPS in several years now. Super easy to get maps and drop my Google Earth data into the phone. Plus, I like the ability to take pictures and save them in Backcountry for even better location references and notes. Having imagery and topos is handy and quick with the phone.

muddydogs

WKR
I am leaning towards using my iPhone with Gaia and picking up a Garming Inreach mini, along with a external battery it should be the perfect setup in my mind.

If your looking at an InReach you should look at the Earthmate hunt addition. Earthmate is free when you purchase a InReach but the hunt addition gets one the GMU's and landowner names. Costs about the same as Gaia but the Earthmate app integrates with the InReach so you can communicate through the InReach as well as fill all your mapping needs.

It will be the perfect 2018 setup until evolution says otherwise in months or years! Great choices!