Using smartphone for hunting GPS

I am running gaia premium on my smartphone and a garmin in reach + just in case. I downloaded maps to the explorer so it could act as my back up and communication if needed. I also picked up a 20$ charger. I was able to get 2 days from the phone using GAIA & Inreach maps app connected via bluetooth to the in reach so I can view and plan on my larger screen phone. The little charger I picked up got me 2 iPhone charges from 20% battery and 1 in reach charge. The in reach got about 5 days of life and little use. I think the only downside to the mini is your going to be carrying extra weight to keep it alive. Getting the regular version may help....

snakelk

WKR
Backcountry Nav Pro and an S7. I haven't used my GPS in several years now. Super easy to get maps and drop my Google Earth data into the phone. Plus, I like the ability to take pictures and save them in Backcountry for even better location references and notes. Having imagery and topos is handy and quick with the phone.

I'm with Snowcamoman. Backcountry Nav Pro and an S8. Also have BCN on an S3 and and S5 (with two extra removable batteries). I bought the Gaia app, but still use BCN because the aerial imagery is superior (and I'm more familiar with how to run BCN).

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Wow, this thread is old, I didn't even remember starting it until I clicked it.

I have went to my I phone with Onx maps since my original question and been very happy with it. I also carry a Dark Energy Poseidon battery now that will re-charge my phone, headlamp, or Steripen as needed. Since I quit using the GPS it makes more sense to me to do it that way than carry extra batteries for anything.

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, this thread is old, I didn't even remember starting it until I clicked it.

I have went to my I phone with Onx maps since my original question and been very happy with it. I also carry a Dark Energy Poseidon battery now that will re-charge my phone, headlamp, or Steripen as needed. Since I quit using the GPS it makes more sense to me to do it that way than carry extra batteries for anything.

I use OnX here on Kodiak Island since there are a lot of different places on the road system that are either Native or Coast Guard land that you can’t hunt on at all or need to have a permit to hunt on. I’ve heard of several instances where someone shoots a trophy bear either on or next to native land and have had it taken away and then sold at a fur rendezvous before they can prove whether they were actually on native land or not. The fee for the OnX maps membership is pretty cheap insurance to make sure you’re where you need to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bbell12

WKR
Bumping this thread for a question. I'm thinking about selling my Garmin GPS setup and replacing it with a phone and an InReach so my question is this: Do any of y'all run a phone with the OnXmaps app and use an InReach for a backup GPS device? I'm curious as to how well this setup would work. Also, has anybody ever ran into a problem where the GPS wouldn't pick up signal in a particular area? Thanks

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bumping this thread for a question. I'm thinking about selling my Garmin GPS setup and replacing it with a phone and an InReach so my question is this: Do any of y'all run a phone with the OnXmaps app and use an InReach for a backup GPS device? I'm curious as to how well this setup would work. Also, has anybody ever ran into a problem where the GPS wouldn't pick up signal in a particular area? Thanks

That's the exact setup I run. Never had an issue with GPS signal using onX on an iPhone. InReach is there, if needed, but I only use it for communications.

pierceje

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using nothing but my phone for the last 5 years. First with Gaia but now with onX. Simple and easy. Mark points, routes, water on my desktop and have it on my phone in the field. Mark stuff in the field and I have it on my desktop.