Using smartphone for hunting GPS

mcseal2

WKR
I was wondering if anyone was doing this. I see OnXmaps and others have programs out now that let you save maps and use them with the phone on airplane mode to preserve battery life. I pack my phone anyway on hunts and am thinking of going this route instead of packing both the phone and a GPS.

I have a Garmin Rhino 520HCX I use and a Rhino 120 I loan out now. Both are getting some age on them and go through batteries pretty quick. Rather than upgrading it looks like the cell phone option would cost about $30/state per year. I usually only go on one out of state trip per year so the $30/year for a phone I already have sounds a lot cheaper than buying a high dollar GPS and maybe breaking or needing to replace it within 5yrs or so. I have a Goal Zero Venture 30 that is as small and light as my current GPS that I could pack for re-charging the phone as needed too going this route. I wouldn't have to buy or pack so many AA lithium's either which would save money in the long run.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks for your help.

JayPee

FNG
I am running backcountry navigator on my phone and so far it seems to work good. It does eat up the battery fairly quick if I am playing around with it, but under normal use it works well. Also my battery is a little suspect in my phone. A 10k battery pack keeps it charged up plenty though

AdamW

WKR
I used my iphone 5S with onxmaps along with my Garmin gps (as a comparison/backup) while in CO last month to give it a test for possible use this fall back in CO. It worked awesome. The features it has and the accuracy were impressive in my opinion. I too have a 10k mah battery pack and put the phone on airplane mode while in the mountains. I'm thinking I should be able to get a week out of it without too much trouble.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just depends how easy/well the phone grabs GPS in the woods I suppose. I don't have a charge pack (not that it'd be hard to get one) so I like the flexibility of having my AA using GPS in my vest to use which is water proof and if I loose/break it (since its not tucked away in a secure pocket) I haven't just lost my phone. Also as noted in crap weather my phone is still tucked away safe from the elements in my pack (not that you can't protect it if actively using). As far as battery life unless I'm near private land I need to be mindful of I only periodically turn on my GPS just to double check I am where I think I am. I think a lot of it all depends on what you hunt and need from your GPS. I have all of western CO topo already loaded on my GPS that shows national forest, BLM, etc. and in conjunction with a paper map (I ALWAYS have a paper map too) I'm happy with that information for free typically.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I use Gaia maps on android. Works great, I also just buy extra battery's for the phone rather then a battery pack. That is if you can take the battery out of your phone. I phones do not have that feature. I take a battery for each day. 5 batteries is half of the weight of a battery pack and I achieve the same thing. I get 4 or 5 charges from my 10k pack.With phone battery's in the 5 to 10 dollar range it is also cost efficient. Seems you can find them all over ebay and amzaon.

ChrisS

WKR
Gaia GPS and an iPhone here. I have a Rino, but I only use that party hunting in the Adirondacks where we're doing lengthy deer drives and I need to see where watchers or drivers are.

Gaia GPS on the iphone works surprisingly well in forested cover and no cell service. It only sips at the battery even if your using it for a track. The phone system is great because you have a GPS, backup camera, and backup light all in one. I've used the iphone to walk a mile to my stand once when I forgot my headlamp. Not the best scenario, but it beats tripping over deadfall and putting an eye out.

I run my iphone and my Garmin GPS. They both work well but I am packing the phone anyway so i just use it for comparison. I am not sold on it yet but we do allow the phone to be used for GPS as the accuracy is on par with a GPS unit.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using Backcountry navigator on my Android phone for a few years now and really like it. I do still carry my Rhino sometimes depending on the situation, but mostly I just use my phone.

oldgoat

WKR
I've been using Backcountry Navigator exclusively since 2010! I do carry a small GPS as a backup. Haven't needed it yet, some phones GPS I've had are better than others. But the program/app is awesome. Onx was a little busy for what I do elk hunting. Also it's a one time cost and you can have it on multiple devices, I plan on taking my tablet scouting for the bigger screen. Downfall is every time I switch phones I lose waypoints, I'm sure there's a way to save then electronically but I'm challenged there and too lazy to write them down and manually transfer them. The private property add ons are priceless and the GMU boundaries are nice too!

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
Using backcountry navigator which add on do I need to get for the private/public land boundaries?

mavmskyb8

FNG
I've been using Backcountry Navigator for 4 years on Samsung Note phones. Never had a problem, and love the app/features. I always turn off my data when hunting, till I get back to camp. I email my trails and waypoints to myself, and then put them on google earth. Great way to always heve them, plus, a great scouting tool.

Cheers!
Bret

WKR
With GAIA on Android, is there a "birds eye view" option with aerial photographs.

oldgoat

WKR
I am running backcountry navigator on my phone and so far it seems to work good. It does eat up the battery fairly quick if I am playing around with it, but under normal use it works well. Also my battery is a little suspect in my phone. A 10k battery pack keeps it charged up plenty though

This for me too! I have in the past carried a very small GPS for a backup if i was alone, haven't had to use it yet and have been running BN for five+ years now. It has its pitfalls but has its benefits too. Just make sure you oversize the area you intend to hunt when downloading map tiles. And write down all your waypoints before getting a new phone. I've lost mine Everytime, they are probably on the SD card, but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to reimport them.

Gaia for 5 years, and all my friends are now on it as well. Waypoints set to back up on the cloud, And I have had 4 phones without losing a single waypoint. Better maps and accuracy than my rhino. Gaia is the way to go!

16Bore

WKR
My biggest fear is getting a text or phone call, love the Oregon so far.

mavmskyb8

FNG
Ditto on the Backcountry Navigator. Been using it for 4 years on a Samsung Note phone. I always turn my data off when I'm hunting, and If I stop somewhere for a long period of time, I always pause the tracking feature. What I really like, is that you can email the tracks & waypoints to yourself, and then open them with Google Earth and save them there. Great way to follow up on your hunt, and possibly use it as a scouting feature, or plan for upcoming hunts.
Cheers!