Best GPS Unit for the $

Good morning, looking to upgrade out of my first gen Garmin Etrex, can't remember the name but it was the 1st version that accepted an SD card for my OnxMaps.

Not wanting to spend $500, but curious to see what you all prefer for a reliable GPS?

I am hoping to learn how to read topo maps and use the new compass I bought, but wouldn't hurt to have the GPS unit as a fail safe.

Thanks!

OP
Jacob Chapman
I don't have an Iphone, but an Android. I will check it out, not wanting to use up all my data on roaming and whatnot, plus most of the time I don't have service. Not sure if that would be an issue or not

Get Gaia gps for android and save your maps before you go. OnX might now have this functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
The more I use it, the more I like Onxmaps. This paired with a battery pack that gets you multiple recharges in the field is a pretty awesome bit of technology. As mentioned you can download/save your maps to your phone at home or in a local place with free wifi, turn your phone on airplane mode (no cell signal required and it saves battery) and have at it.

The only complaint I have about some of these programs (which isn't even their fault) is several counties back home don't have digital ownership data available. Doesn't seem to be a problem out west though because maps are so critical out there the areas all seem very well covered. There are promo codes out there for onxmaps. I think "hunttalk" is one of them if I'm not mistaken.

The Garmin Oregon will be close to your price point and is well worth the money, it's got a nice tough screen that's easy to use and has great display. If you shop around for the rest of the summer you will find them on sale, I bought mine at Scheels last summer at a pretty good discount

Brendan

WKR
Gaia on Android or iOS is by far the cheapest and also very easy to use. You can run your phone on Airplane mode and use no data if you download maps in advance. The nice thing about Gaia is the ease of switching back and forth between different maps - Topo, Satellite, etc. Makes it pretty easy to do some real time map scouting in the field. You can do all your scouting in advance using Google Earth and upload all your waypoints.

With that said - you need to watch your battery if you're using it a lot. This will depend on what type of phone you have, how frequently you use it, and how long you're out.

I also really like the Garmins - my Montana 650 has been great, if not a little heavy...

Gaia on iPhone in airplane mode lasted me 4 days. It is awesome.

ScottinPA

WKR
I just upgraded from my 15 yr old etrex to a Garmin 64ST. Picked it up as a refurb with 2 yr warranty for $265 from GPS Nation. Still learning it but its intuitive.

ChrisS

WKR
My iPhone has completely drained in cold weather so I still bring my trusty 60csx along, simple with great battery life.
Left alone (like sitting out in a tent overnight) or riding in your pocket/pack?

I've carried mine in a belt pouch in temps barely over zero all day and still had 80+% battery in airplane mode.

Ruskin

WKR
I have a 60csx. Used for several years. Never let me down. Works like a charm. I bought it 6 years ago based on recommendations for what was best. I still don't see a reason to upgrade.

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
I keep it in my pocket, at night i'll roll it up in my pants or have it on me somewhere, I have kept it out in the tent also. I've had it drain while hunting in the morning in my pocket in maybe mid 30 temps, i'll let it warm up later and it comes back on with some charge then it will drain fast when I use it, kinda weird. I think it could be my phone though as its over 2 years old so i'm due for an upgrade but i've heard of others with the same problem. It's still going and works fine with good life in warm weather only had that problem on hunts where its cooler.

Left alone (like sitting out in a tent overnight) or riding in your pocket/pack?

I've carried mine in a belt pouch in temps barely over zero all day and still had 80+% battery in airplane mode.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Garmin Oregon 450 is one of my Favorites. its fast responsive and does everything I need it to do in a small form factor. I do use my iPhone with Gaia GPS though mostly the 450 is a backup and to when Im in a heavily privatized area to see property Boundaries. You can find the Garmin 450 for around 125-180$ its a nice unit. Ive owned the expensive Montana and some others. The 450 wins hands down for me and my use.