Most common things people pack they dont need??

WKR
Although no longer, spent 15 years as one. I always felt the same, you need little to do a lot. Or you figure it out in a hurry.

Had a rig full of stuff that never saw the light of day.

I am sure you can attest, you find your favorite items and find a bunch of uses for them.

One of my favorites was the lined disposable pillow cases for people vomiting. Cause vomit was my kryptonite.

Basketball size opening for them to hit, vs the french fry tray. Nothing says "you're welcome nurses" like rolling a patient covered in and reeking of vomit into the ER.

They worked well as a pillow case as well. :)

Another was Zap Straps. The duct tape of prehospital trauma care.

Zap Straps

Realistically you are looking at what will cause us to have to end our hunt early or not. Most of which are solved with the items mentioned in Pathfinders post and whatever else you have with you.

Game bags for large would dressings, clean ones of course. Trekking poles for a split. Paracord to secure either. Hell, you could use a tarp or tent to rig up a gurney to carry someone out. Plenty in your kit already that'll do double duty.

You'd never want to carry as much stuff as you'd need for when something really went south.

Improvise with what you have, you'd be surprised what you'll figure out when things start to happen in a hurry.

Without realizing it. It'll just flow. Most humans tend to get pretty "smart" in a crisis. Once the initial "Oh boy..." wears off.
Don't bring anything that only does one thing, don't bring anything you don't really know how to use.

Trace a c collar with sharpie on your closed cell sit pad. An empty back pack, flipped around, makes a decent short board w/head bead and (hip belt) straps.

In order
1) can it keep me in the field?
2) can it help me facilitate my own rescue?
3) can we evac towards rescue?
4) if rescue needs to come to us, can we make notification and maintain this situation for 24-36 hrs?

If it doesn't support the above it's wasted space/weight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JLH208

WKR
Probably going to leave the spotting scope at home this year too, that's 4.5 pounds I like having but probably don't NEED

I was wondering if anybody would mention a spotting scope, it was the first thing that came to my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering if anybody would mention a spotting scope, it was the first thing that came to my mind.

For the animals that I like to chase, my spotter would probably be on of the last things on my list to leave at home. In fact, if it was between my spotter and back up bear protection hand gun, the spotter would probably win out, because I use it waaaay more than the hand gun. Actually, now that I think about it, I've never used the handgun for bear protection. Hmmm.......nope, they're both going, I'd rather skip meals.

20+ years of backpacking and hunting. My gear has gotten lighter and my pack weight has stayed the same. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I always find a way to fill that little void with something new and always side with some level of comfort. 2lb off my sleeping bag = 2lb steak I'm hauling in for the first night....

I can relate to this one. When I go light and show up to camp all chipper and fresh feeling I regret not having packed in something obnoxious. Namely a 6 pack.

JLH208

WKR
For the animals that I like to chase, my spotter would probably be on of the last things on my list to leave at home. In fact, if it was between my spotter and back up bear protection hand gun, the spotter would probably win out, because I use it waaaay more than the hand gun. Actually, now that I think about it, I've never used the handgun for bear protection. Hmmm.......nope, they're both going, I'd rather skip meals.

I see where you're coming from, I would feel naked without my 65mm where I chase mule deer. I guess in my head I was thinking elk where I'm in the trees 90% of the day and terrain isn't as far in distance to glass. I pack a tripod for binos in this scenario and don't need to break out the spotter enough (if at all) on those trips to justify packing it. Depends on the hunt. Other than that I'm happy with my pack weight and wouldn't wanna go without anything else in there. I never seem to pack enough food and depending on weather not enough water. I don't carry a filter on day trips.