Most common things people pack they dont need??

Im finalizing my gear and im trying to get my pack as lite as possible. I am just curious what some things are that are pretty unnecessary that people might forget to cut out? Hunt will be 7 days backpack in Colorado. Depending on the amount of animals we see the first 4 days we may pack out and hike back in somewhere else.

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
For me, I can't seem to ditch an old, mostly used up roll of duct tape. Tape is not super heavy, probably only 6 feet of tape on it, and I've crushed it flat to fit in the ziplock with my lighter, compass, vasoline cotton balls and a few other "what if" items, but I've been carrying it for 20 years and never once used it in the back-country. I've pillaged from it plenty of times when I run out of my main rolls at home, but not once on the trail.

Excess food. I'm the worst at this. By the end of the trip I'm basically throwing food at my buddies so I don't have to pack it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for me its been too many bullets but if your scope got slammed and was off it would be nice to have 10 bullets sprare. not enough 100 proof schnapps. The rest I have figured out the hard way. good luck bud.

colonel00

WKR
I've got a whole little pouch of stuff I hope I never use but it's there if I need it.

That said, food and clothing are always tough unless you hunt the same area every year and know exactly what you need for the expected weather conditions.

Elkangle

WKR
Extra batteries...anything back up belongs in the truck

If you think you may need a back up (insert yours) up grade or use it more to where you have confidence it won't fail

My biggest is an extra knife...but sentimentalrighty reasons keep me from ditching it

Felix40

WKR
Too many knives or knives that are too big. I've learned that as long as you don't lose it one knife and a way to sharpen it is enough.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've learned that as long as you don't lose it one knife and a way to sharpen it is enough.

I took my sharpener out and replaced it with a Havalon. The Havalon weighs about the same.

Clothes has to be the big one. Sometimes I even leave the rain jacket behind if I don't think it will rain. I probably pack too much water, but I've run out before without a source for more, and dehydration is not an option anymore.

KMT

WKR
Good points above. Extra clothes and food. No matter how well I plan my diet, I never eat everything that I have packed in...very frustrating. I'm much better with clothing. The only extra thing I bring is one pair of socks and underwear. I agree with Felix 40. One knife is all you need.

AdamW

WKR
This is Rokslide, we need a gear list including brand of toilet paper and how many squares you are taking. :D

I'm working on my gear list currently and spelling it all out has helped me start to pare things down. The things that "couldn't make that much difference" are adding up huge. My trusty inflatable Kelty sleeping pad "couldn't save me more than 5 or 6 oz..." by upgrading. Yeah...2 pounds of savings with the pad I'm switching to. Ounces are adding up.

Too many clothes, although in the last couple seasons I think I have that under control now, and too much food are my biggest issues.

tttoadman

WKR
The knife was a big one for me. I got the havalon, but still carried my folding knife for utility use. I finally ditched that and got the Squirt multi-tool. I very seldom ever use it, but when I need a simple knife for a task, it gets the job done.

I always seem to have about a day or so extra food when i come back. I don't plan to cut my food at all, because I can consider it food stash if I get injured or have to hunker in for unexpected days.

My short Stoney Point shooting sticks have always been a mainstay for me. I go long trips and never use them, and they are a clumsy thing to carry. I usually end up carrying them on anything open country, but I have been able to shed them for my western OR blacktail hunts.

I know we are all oz counters, so every little thing matters. Using the logic of "if I haven't used it in the last 2 years", I will ditch the i-phone tripod adapter. I got it to be able to take video if I wanted. Just not my thing.

I always take more fuel that I need for my stove. I worry about a can seal failing, so i always have 2. I usually bring a full one home every time or close to it.

I constantly stew over whether to bring my shade tube for the scope. They are not the most compact pc. Along those same lines is a ball cap. I now have a light quick drying cap from SG that I don't mind packing in. I only wear a beanie most of the time, and ball caps don't store well in pockets.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Past couple years it's been food for me..

But I have been getting better every year taking less and less food to now I usually don't have much left.

I do backcountry guided hunts, every year we always send hunters a list of bottom line what they need and a weight of how much gear they can bring in weight for the horses. I will pack more horses for them but it just costs extra. My fully guided guys aren't to bad due to the fact a lot of extra stuff we have at camp for them (sleeping pads, silverware, cooking stuff,etc.) now the guys i bring in for drop camps I give them a horse for their gear each guy, and an extra horse for food and cooking supplies, that's 450lbs of gear. I supply cook stoves, a table, sometimes cots, the tent, water filtration gear, water jugs and a heating stove. So the bulkiest items are already there for them. They usually show up the day before and have asked me to go through their gear and see what's absolutely needed vs. what can be left. They usually leave me keys to their vehicles for when I do check ins I can bring gear they forgot decided they needed, extra food, etc. and some of these guys bring the craziest things. The amount of beer I've had guys unload I've about fell down, I've told them ur in high county not the elevation your used to for 1, 2 they brig that much beer they aren't gonna be doing much hunting, 3 I have a rule with all my clients that they cannot hunt after drinking, if they go out for a morning hunt come back to camp start drinking and then go hunting again and I find out they will be taken off the mountain and not invited back. I've had guys want me to pack tree stands, full size archery targets, the full sized cabelas cots with the headboard thing, folding tables, even had a guy want me to pack 2 55 gallon drums 22 miles back so he could bury them and stash a bunch of his gear at my campsite for when he back packed in the next year... This is wilderness area. Even had a guy want me to pack 2 bows, a shotgun and a rifle for him, so he could have a backup bow, shotgun for grouse and a rifle for coyotes and stuff. I understand it's on horses and not backpacking but still. And clothing is always a huge huge thing guys bring way to many clothes a different pair for each day, sleeping clothes, camp clothes, Yukon style rain gear extra boots. And seems like every year I have the guys that don't bring any water just beer and say well it's wilderness we were just gonna drink outa the creek. I prefer them to pack in regular water and try and drink from that as much as possible and use the creek water for cooking and washing. And the filters when they run outa water. and when backpacking in with friends I always had the one friend that packed every bit of junk he had, Mountain Dew and little Debbie cakes, 4 days on the mountain he'd have 2 dehydrated meals no water, no stove none of that stuff.

xziang

WKR
Like others have said to many clothes or clothes and to much food. I'm guilty I take two knifes the havalon in my kill kit and then my folding knife that is on my pocket 24/7.

Seems like some guys go way overboard with medical kits. Mine is tape, super glue, a couple pain pills, and that's about it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk