Most common things people pack they dont need??

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like some guys go way overboard with medical kits. Mine is tape, super glue, a couple pain pills, and that's about it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've had my foot slip out from under me on a sandstone slope and taken a nasty little slide where I shredded my leg and elbow pretty badly and had a heap of Sandy grit embedded in the wound. thankfully I was not too far from my friends hunting cabin so we had a lot of med gear when we got there but we must have gone through 15-20 alcohol swabs just to clean out the open wounds so i always carry quite a few of those, plus they are awesome to help get a stubborn fire going quickly, one swipe of a Ferro rod and instant fire so they are dual purpose item.

Also here in Australia we have most of the most deadly snakes in the world so I always carry 2-3 compression bandages to wrap the bite site to slow down the spread of venom.

Brewkid

FNG
20+ years of backpacking and hunting. My gear has gotten lighter and my pack weight has stayed the same. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I always find a way to fill that little void with something new and always side with some level of comfort. 2lb off my sleeping bag = 2lb steak I'm hauling in for the first night....

I would caution against too little food. We were heading out from 10 miles in with no trail, and foolishly chased a bugle. Killed the bull at dark in a torrential rain storm. We were already in a day extra and were basically out of food. Ate nothing but elk for that night and the next day getting the meat out.

OP
Jtelarkin08
I would caution against too little food. We were heading out from 10 miles in with no trail, and foolishly chased a bugle. Killed the bull at dark in a torrential rain storm. We were already in a day extra and were basically out of food. Ate nothing but elk for that night and the next day getting the meat out.

Not sure how eating only elk is a bad thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldawg

WKR
I can't believe how many people say they pack too much food, I feel like active mountain hunting most don't pack too much food they don't eat enough food. I pack more than most and I know that I need to eat more but it is tough, I really force myself to make sure my daily allotment of food is gone everyday.

I pack too many clothes but I get dang cold. Only extra clothes I take is a pair of underwear and a pair of socks, at any given time I'll have all the other clothes on me keeping warm. I'm working on getting tougher and cut those down a bit. Probably going to leave the spotting scope at home this year too, that's 4.5 pounds I like having but probably don't NEED

Felix40

WKR
I can't believe how many people say they pack too much food, I feel like active mountain hunting most don't pack too much food they don't eat enough food. I pack more than most and I know that I need to eat more but it is tough, I really force myself to make sure my daily allotment of food is gone everyday.

I pack too many clothes but I get dang cold. Only extra clothes I take is a pair of underwear and a pair of socks, at any given time I'll have all the other clothes on me keeping warm. I'm working on getting tougher and cut those down a bit. Probably going to leave the spotting scope at home this year too, that's 4.5 pounds I like having but probably don't NEED

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think its possible to eat enough to keep up with the amount of calories I burn.

lchavez

Lil-Rokslider
Hats off to you all that pack in for hunting. I'd have to have a trail pack animals if I planned a 7 day backpack hunting trip:)

gelton

WKR

Its due to the altitude. I have no problems eating at home, in fact I could stand to eat less. On the mountain though, I have to force feed myself. Knowing I am not eating enough to keep up with the calories I am burning doesn't change the fact that I have to force it down.

Every. Single. Year. I end up packing food off the mountain...going to do my best not to this year but I am sure I will be packing some of it off the mountain.

Bulldawg

WKR
Yeah I know it can be a struggle for some people. I would recommend making yourself eating more often during the day. Trying to force down a lot of food at the end of the day because you haven't eaten much is really tough. Also take food that you actually like, I think the hardest part about forcing yourself to eat is most are trying to eat gross light weight food because someone told them that's what they need to be lightweight. It can be so difficult to eat some mountain houses, I feel full but I know it's not because of altitude or I don't need it, it's because it is flat out gross. I started dehydrating my own meals which is awesome, and I've tried some Heathers Choice and I can eat a ton of those no matter the altitude be

Its due to the altitude. I have no problems eating at home, in fact I could stand to eat less. On the mountain though, I have to force feed myself. Knowing I am not eating enough to keep up with the calories I am burning doesn't change the fact that I have to force it down.

Every. Single. Year. I end up packing food off the mountain...going to do my best not to this year but I am sure I will be packing some of it off the mountain.

CarlTuesday

Lil-Rokslider
I think part of the food thing can be dehydration too... I find if I'm not drinking enough water the appetite can go a bit, plus it makes it harder to choke down the (typical) probar/trailmix/whatever lunch and snack most folks eat.

16Bore

WKR
Dehydration sneaks up quicker than you think for sure. I will say that one of the biggest pick-me-ups when I'm beat is a simple cup of Ramen. Yeah, MSG, too much salt. But damn, sitting in a cold rain that shit is gold.

welpro222

WKR
Last year my pack was 85lbs , I took way too much crap. This year my goal is at max, 45lbs. I have been buying lots of lightweight gear and testing new things this year. Im hoping to start with a base pack and sleeping system weight of 12lbs and then add to it from there (cloth, food, water, gear)

I saw a posting earlier asking why "alcohol"? Well Im not much of a drinker and I don't smoke, only have some sipping whiskey once a week on Friday nights. But I like Aron's podcast with Brian Call "If it keeps you from coming off the mountains, then take it with you", while not referring to alcohol specifically. I find find that my morning coffee and some sipping whiskey is a very nice treat to have back at camp for me.

Last edited:

slow

FNG
I've found the most common thing I bring that I don't need is whatever I second guess myself with and add at the last minute that wasn't on my planned list.

Lots of people mention food. Noticed on another post "what's on your belt" that almost no one mentions keeping snacks in a belt pouch. I usually keep my planned snacks for the day in a kifaru belt pouch. I'm more likely to eat if they're handy, than if I have to take off my pack and dig in the bag for food.

TXCO

WKR
When i grew up in scouts we always overpacked to be prepared. Its taken a long time to work out of that and not pack a tool for every situation.

For batteries: get devices that all use the same batteries, put brand new Lithium batteries in them before you go and then just carry a couple extras or cannibalize depending on trip length. Lithium costs more but lasts longer. I just throw the still good ones in a bucket at home to use around the house when Im swapping in fresh ones for a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Body weight. Everyone search for the latest and greatest in super uber ultralight hear made of aerogel (Google it, it's pretty interesting), but, negate the fact that a majority of those "extra pounds" that could but dump reside around there waist. And clothing.
People pack for the Iditarod yet hunt during archery season.
Frozen wipes will make you rethink your live chosen very quickly. Lol.