Trekking poles

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've never used them before. Would it be worth it to buy some for the one week a year that I hunt out West? Thanks.

I only use mine going down steep terrain off trail. Half the time they just get carried around and I wonder why I brought them.

FNG
I use mine all the time. They really save the knees on the down hills and make climbing more efficient.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
I use mine on even small day hikes.

They're a big help in steep terrain. If you buy a lightweight set and use them frequently you learn to use them bet efficiently and you'll forget you're even using them.

I also like to push with my arms when going uphill with a heavy pack - this seriously can help with leg fatigue when taking large steps up.

I'm 28, it's not just for older guys with sore knees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really need to use them more. I carried them all day today and had several up and downhill spots they would've been handy. I need to stop being so lazy.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
What would be a good set for my uses? This year I'll be in South-Central WY elk hunting in October. I'll be doing day hunts. Thanks.

Less than $30 at Costco.
47213837a424783e316949cefec94396.jpg
Carbon fiber, flick locks and they weigh something like 15oz. No reason not to have them.

Gutpile

Lil-Rokslider
I had never used them until this year. My girlfriend is an avid hiker and uses them religiously. This summer she bought me some and I have been using them quite a lot. I didn't realize how much of a difference they made until I forgot them on a steep 8 miler. They make a HUGE HUGE difference. I will never hike without them again.

I looked on their website and couldn't find them.
I haven't been to our local Costco in a few weeks but the last time I was there they had them. If you like, I could pick you up a pair next week and ship them down to you. I'm guessing about $15-$20 shipping? Anyway, let me know if your interested.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
I haven't been to our local Costco in a few weeks but the last time I was there they had them. If you like, I could pick you up a pair next week and ship them down to you. I'm guessing about $15-$20 shipping? Anyway, let me know if your interested.

Thanks for the offer. I've got a coworker that has one close to his house. Let me see if they have them here local, first. If not, I may get back up with you.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
I use the black diamond carbon Z poles. Love them.

They aren't telescoping or adjustable but they break down into sections and snap back together very quickly for transport.

I've had adjustable sets before but never found that I needed to adjust unless I was using them for other purposes like supporting a tarp, etc.

For me, their use in hiking justifies taking them. And don't consider them as weight on your pack because they shouldn't be up there.

Carbon is a superior material for vibration dampening qualities that make a difference when traveling on rock.

rbljack

WKR
yall convinced me to get a pair this year. They weren't cheap, but we picked up the Black diamond trail ergo cork model and will be giving them a shot this year. I looked at those z poles, but I wanted to ability to change the height of them so my wife or I can use them comfortably.

I also have the promaster carbon tripod for my spotter, so it has a removeable leg I can use as a walking stick, and we have the monopod shooting stick, so that gives us two pairs of trekking poles to use without adding extra weight for the second set.

I was hesitant about buying some and finally caved in and I'm glad to say I did. They are worth the money!

steve s

Lil-Rokslider
I live in CO mountains and use them just about every hike we go on and anytime my bows not in my hand. Twist locks can be a pain and difficult to maintain. Black diamond's are spendy but awesome - just got my wife a pair after getting frustrated with always fixing her leki's...

I asked the same thing last year. I really didn't want to spend a hundo. I looked at the cheapos after looking at the basic Black Diamond. The Mountain Smiths werent even close to the stiffness. I'm a heavier built guy, so I knew those wouldnt work. So I went with the basic BD's.
I think they've saved me from about four really really bad falls on slippery trails. For me that's huge especially hunting solo.
They help you move more efficiently especially hauling a heavy pack. You can walk away from someone who's not using poles.
Also with poles it opens your options for using tarp style shelters. I don't see a need for tent poles and trekking poles. So I went with a Kifaru Megatarp this season over 's conventional tent. I even use them hunting the praire for deer. This morning I used them as shootin sticks and smoke a yote. I can't believe I didn't buy em sooner!