DeLorme Earthmate and OnXmaps

Pac8541

Lil-Rokslider
Just got the InReach Explorer and Earthmate app on my phone. I haven't activated the InReach yet because the dates I need it aren't within 30 days quite yet.

Has anyone used both Earthmate and OnXmaps? If you use one do you need the other? Or put another way, what does OnX provide that Earthmate doesn't. I'm interested more for hunting area detail in topo maps than GPS tracking/navigation/waypoint capability. If I don't have to spend the money twice I'd rather not.

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
OnX has much better detail. Earthmate gives a good topo map with decent outlines of public and private lands. OnX tells you exact what hunting unit you're in, if you're in wilderness or not, landowner information, and much more. I'm taking both with me this year. Not sure how I would pick one or the other if I had to. Satellite texting and being able to call the cavalry if I need help might edge out the better detailed map if I knew I wouldn't have boundary issues to worry about.

OP
P

Pac8541

Lil-Rokslider
So if I buy an OnX membership for my phone and have to choose a state, what does it cost if I need another state's map? Is it the same as the initial purchase? I spend all my time between AZ and CO and would need the same map info for both states.

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
I use both. I prefer Earthmate as my primary with the InReach & the OnX for use of different views, detailed looks, & for boundaries. I find the Earthmate to be cleaner looking & easier to use.

I have been having a lot of problems with OnX lately locking up or crashing in the last few weeks. I don't have a lot of trust in it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No experience with earthmate but OnX locks up at least 50% of the time and has since they finished the beta testing in February. I've commented on it to them directly several times. No fix yet. If you know for a fact you will need it either get the chip for a GPS or go a different direction than the phone app.

OP
P

Pac8541

Lil-Rokslider
I use both. I prefer Earthmate as my primary with the InReach & the OnX for use of different views, detailed looks, & for boundaries. I find the Earthmate to be cleaner looking & easier to use.

I have been having a lot of problems with OnX lately locking up or crashing in the last few weeks. I don't have a lot of trust in it right now.

No experience with earthmate but OnX locks up at least 50% of the time and has since they finished the beta testing in February. I've commented on it to them directly several times. No fix yet. If you know for a fact you will need it either get the chip for a GPS or go a different direction than the phone app.

I spent about an hour on the phone with one of they employees this morning (Kevin Vine) discussing professional use and a few questions about how the app is used. I downloaded the iphone app this evening and will begin playing with it over the course of the 7-day trial. I'll mention these problems to him to reinforce what you guys have already brought to their attention. Maybe as a group we can get a response regarding an update or bug fix. He mentioned to me that the phone app is definitely the more popular option versus the GPS chip and I was led to believe that most of their focus seems to be on developing and maintaining that platform.

MT_Wyatt

WKR

This matches my experience exactly. If you want to home in on a way point, earth mate is the way to go in my opinion. I like the On X app for overhead images, but for real navigation the Delorme in reach explorer and the earth mate all are the way to go.

MThuntr

WKR
I have reduced my use of the OnXmaps app due to the constant crashing also. Mine crashes when trying to download maps for offline use. General use the InReach app works pretty good and I am starting to use this more

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
An update on iPhone OnX app - I kept having issues, so I deleted & reinstalled the app.

It works great now!

I use earthmate and backcountry navigator(BCN). BCN is better with detailed aerial, topographic, and land ownership and also better for trails and always being updated. BCN is a little less cluttered and has cleaner GMUs (in MT at least).