water bladder in EXO side pocket options?

Is anyone running a water bladder in one of the full length side pouches of an exo pack?
Was looking to run a 1.5 or 2 liter bladder in one, and have been agonizing over dimensions online.
Basic requirements include a large opening for fill/cleaning. It seems like the ones that have the full width opening like the platy big zip wouldnt fit due to the opening so I have been eyeing either an MSR hydration bladder or the camelbak antidote.
Anyways, anyone else running one in this location?

Nah. I was running a 3 L platypus between the frame and pack... finally over that :) Picked up the short military Camelback 3L and run that in the front stretchy pocket... works way better for me, way easier to re-fill.

goph707

FNG
I used to use it in the front stretchy pocket, and in the said pocket. I finally just got over it and bought the slurpy stalker and couldn't be happier. I like my pack as streamline as possible with not a lot of extra stuff hanging on the outside.

zman

Lil-Rokslider
Is anyone running a water bladder in one of the full length side pouches of an exo pack?
Was looking to run a 1.5 or 2 liter bladder in one, and have been agonizing over dimensions online.
Basic requirements include a large opening for fill/cleaning. It seems like the ones that have the full width opening like the platy big zip wouldnt fit due to the opening so I have been eyeing either an MSR hydration bladder or the camelbak antidote.
Anyways, anyone else running one in this location?

I use a 1.5 liter in the side pocket. Works fine. Cinch the top little string up tight. Those pockets really stretch and the bladders are kind of moldable so I think you will be suprised how much you can stuff in there.

jtw

WKR
I run a 2l camelbak antidote in the sides or back stretchy pocket depending on what else I have in my bag. Usually I use the back pocket.

I ran an original 3L camelbak in a side pocket but hated how unbalanced the pack felt and it would pull on one shoulder strap more on the side with the bladder. I ended up running between bag and frame. Pretty easy access and left more bag volume available.

OP
blackpowderhunter
I ran an original 3L camelbak in a side pocket but hated how unbalanced the pack felt and it would pull on one shoulder strap more on the side with the bladder. I ended up running between bag and frame. Pretty easy access and left more bag volume available.

The weight balance is a concern to me. Due to this I will run just the 1.5 or 2 liter bladder. And if I need to carry more I will just toss a bottle in the pocket on the other side. I currently just run a bottle on one side so this would be no different than that, weight wise.
I think I might go with the antidote and see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been wondering the same thing. I just picked up a used Exo 3500 and after packing 4 days worth of gear and food into it I started to wonder where my water was going to go. The side pockets seem like they could cause imbalance with a full bladder, but inside the main bag I think a 2L or 3L bladder would take up a lot of gear space. I've never ran a bladder between the bag and frame, so I guess I need to learn how or purchase a Slurp Stalker.

Poser

WKR
Tried running a bladder I. The side pocket but also had problems with balance. I like to keep my rain gear in the stretchy pocket as well so I put the bladder between the frame and the bag.

twall13

WKR
I also run my bladder between the bag and frame. I like to keep the weight close to my back anyway. With my Source Tactical bladder and Sawyer squeeze I can use the quick disconnects on the hose to fill the bladder without removing it from the pack. Works great until I get an animal down, then I'll either put the bladder in the lid or the front stretch pocket.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Outlier here.
My Source 3L hangs inside my 3500.
No problems. Lots of room but I'm a gear minimalist.
I rarely fill it to 3L but carry a 1L platypus for making coffee/backup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running mine in the stretch pocket. I started running it on the inside and have tried it in the side pockets, but I like the easy access and the fact that the weight is centered when it's in the stretch pocket

Digging up an old thread.

I have a 1st gen 3500 exo and haven't come up with a great solution for carrying a bladder.
Anyone got any pics, or tips on how you carried a bladder between the bag and frame? Is it easily accessible to remove and refill?
I currently carry my sleeping pad folded flat between bag and frame.

I have a 1st gen 3500 exo and haven't come up with a great solution for carrying a bladder.
Anyone got any pics, or tips on how you carried a bladder between the bag and frame? Is it easily accessible to remove and refill?

I was putting my bladder between bag and frame but now I got an Exo Slurpy stalker that hangs in my stone glacier bag , works good

twall13

WKR

I don't have a pic of that setup but I have hung my bladder between the bag and frame in the past. I went to quick disconnects on my bladder hose and a sawyer filter that I can connect directly to the hose. That way I never have to remove the bladder to fill it. So far it's worked pretty well but I only started testing it last season. It was great, especially to gravity fill it at night while I ate dinner, but my Sawyer mini started to get pretty plugged up and water flow really slowed down. I'm switching to the Sawyer Squeeze this year to see if that fixes the issue. I now have the new Exo bags that have a dedicated bladder sleeve but either way the quick disconnects are nice so I don't have to remove the bladder to fill it.

Thanks guys
The slurpy stalker looks like a cool idea. It's not a necessity for my current usage and I don't want to add any weight, also my preference would be to have the bladder outside the main pack
I was looking at getting a Sawyer filter, so might just pony up a few bucks for the quick disconnects, just not keen on adding another potential point of failure to my water supply

Netherman

WKR
I don't have a pic of that setup but I have hung my bladder between the bag and frame in the past. I went to quick disconnects on my bladder hose and a sawyer filter that I can connect directly to the hose. That way I never have to remove the bladder to fill it. So far it's worked pretty well but I only started testing it last season. It was great, especially to gravity fill it at night while I ate dinner, but my Sawyer mini started to get pretty plugged up and water flow really slowed down. I'm switching to the Sawyer Squeeze this year to see if that fixes the issue. I now have the new Exo bags that have a dedicated bladder sleeve but either way the quick disconnects are nice so I don't have to remove the bladder to fill it.

I run mine the same way. MSR 3L bladder tied to the connection loops for the meat hauler.

Twall, I've had good luck keeping the mini running smoothly by raising the pack and letting it back flush about a half a liter every time I use it. I set mine up as a gravity system with a 4L bag. As long as I have a easy fill source it's not too painful to "waste" and refill the half liter.

Nick