First lite jackets and coats - sanctuary, Woodbury and uncomphargenugen

nrh6.7

WKR
So I bought the Woodbury. Fit is true to first lite. Without holding a sanctuary, I am kind of glad I didn't buy the heavier coat. This thing is heavy as it is. Looking forward to trying out the warmth later this season.

DJ, question about layering with your Woodbury. Just got mine in the mail yesterday and it fits great without any layers, but adding the cirrus or umcompagre vest things get really tight, especially under the arms. All of my tops in FL are size medium, and have never had an issue with layering before.

Have you, or anyone else, noticed this with the Woodbury? Thinking I need to exchange for a large.

OP
Desk Jockey
DJ, question about layering with your Woodbury. Just got mine in the mail yesterday and it fits great without any layers, but adding the cirrus or umcompagre vest things get really tight, especially under the arms. All of my tops in FL are size medium, and have never had an issue with layering before.

Have you, or anyone else, noticed this with the Woodbury? Thinking I need to exchange for a large.

I wear a xxl in most things. I got the xl Woodbury. I was able to put an uncompuffy under it without too much of an issue. I think they tweak their patterns year to year so not sure if that holds true.

Agross

WKR
Desk jockey, What do u think of the Woodbury for later season? I have been tossing around the idea of picking one up , but can't make up my mind. I don't like big puffy coats for hunting, and quiet is a must, like really quiet.

nrh6.7

WKR
Agross, don't have any experience in the field with the Woodbury yet, but it is the most quiet FL item I own, out of the cirrus, uncompaghre jacket and vest, and north branch. It is advertised as being made for the stand.

I have the sanctuary and the uncomp as well as the puffy vest and puffy jacket.
In the puffy's I got the L, then in the wood and uncomp I got the xl.
For me I think I couldvegot the wood and sanct in L.
How ever, they are just big, bulky and feel over sized.
But I can layer up and have bino harness and its not so tight I cant breathe.

I only wear the woodbury with the 2 puffys underneath when I late hunt.
It is the better late hunt where you need stealth (quieter than sanctuary)

My wife now uses the sanctuary, it is very big on her, but she stays warm

Both ate gonna feel big and puffy, but if warmth you need then they are your ticket from FL

For late white tail type tree stand, Id definitely do a merino base long sleeve, chama hood, or fleece then the puffy vest and the woodbury.
If you get colder easier, then add the puffy jacket over the puffy vest with everything else.

I use
merino base-L could've used an XL
chama-xl could've got by with a L
puffy vest-L
Puffy jacket- L
Wood-XL could've got by with a L
Sanct - XL could've got by with a L

I wear normal clothes between L and Xl so fit is always a gamble for me even in reg clothes as I am on the border of everything.

OP
Desk Jockey
Desk jockey, What do u think of the Woodbury for later season? I have been tossing around the idea of picking one up , but can't make up my mind. I don't like big puffy coats for hunting, and quiet is a must, like really quiet.

Sure. As a caveat, I have the patience of the tazmanian devil on crack so tans hunting isn’t my thing. 90% of my deer hunting is still hunting on the ground with a bow. I probably sit in a stand or blind a dozen times a year at most and those are usually short walks from a truck/ATV/house.

It’s a great coat. Quiet and warm and you can layer it for additional warmth as others have mention. For temps in NY and PA where a cold morning is 10 degrees or so, it is all I need to stay warm in a stand and I presume the sanctuary would be too warm. Works fine for bow hunting but you have to mide the extra bulk in your sleeve. Design is simple but very functional and I expect it will last for decades with seasonal use but that assumes it spends most of the year in storage and gets worn for short walks to the stand and static sits almost exclusively.

My only real hesitation is it is a purpose built garment. Too hot and heavy for backpacking or long movement.

My only other slight hesitation to recommend it would be based on value. I remember buying mine on sale for about 275. I spent a bit more than that on a jetstream from Sitka, used the heck out of it in early season and feel like it is worth every penny. For a stand sitting coat used like I described above, you would probably be just as warm and quiet in a cabelas grade parka for half the cost. In fact, my Woodbury replaced a gander mountain coat that I got on a post season sale for $75 and while it is a better product in nearly every way, I can’t say it keeps me a bunch warmer. To be clear, I would never discourage someone from buying a nice piece of gear. I just think stand sitting clothing doesn’t get a lot of hard use where and the way I hunt so it is not a place where I would really see the full benefit of spending massive dollars on top end technical clothing. I would probably view this differently if I did more stand hunting so can see why some hunters would drop big dollars on Sitka whitetail systems or would really get a lot of value out of something like the Woodbury.

OP
Desk Jockey
Just a quick follow up. It got cold enough to use my Woodbury. Two cold mornings sitting stands. Still like it. It is heavy though. 3lbs 1oz for my xl without the hood. 6.5 oz for the hood. So 3.5 lbs all in.