First lite jackets and coats - sanctuary, Woodbury and uncomphargenugen

So who has used these and can offer some informed contrast?

I have an uncomflagnar puffy that I used last year for eastern whitetail in late bow hunting season. Mostly still hunting and one or two blind sits. It was fine on the move. A little more insulation would have been welcome while still.

I am noodling over a sanctuary or Woodbury for this year as I will be doing a bit more stand hunting. The sanctuary seem well built for late season stand hunting but too heavy and bulky for anything else. The unforgiven puffy is a bit on the light side for really cold weather. Is the Woodbury the perfect goldilocks jacket in the fl line up?

So for those in the know, how do the various models compare?

charvey9

WKR
I have all 3. You are pretty much on with your assumptions. The outer and insulation material on the Sanctuary and Woodbury is the same, just different fill levels. Both are quieter than the Uncompaghre, and better for bow hunting in my opinion.

I am extremely happy with the addition of the Woodbury jacket this year, and actually packed it on my last week of bowhunting in September where I knew I would get some snow. I was able to do some longer sits on a few chilly afternoons without to much misery.

However, if tree stand hunting was going to be my focus, I would not hesitate to get the Sanctuary.

jaredlef

FNG
charvy - have you ever layered the Woodbury over the Uncompagre? Can you speak at all to the relative warmth of this combo? And is the puffy's noise muffled a bit by the Woodbury?

GKPrice

Banned
I have the Ucompahgre in large and the same in the vest - I have not hunted them yet but I can tell you that they are both very warm for the weight, very warm - lightweight as any other Puffy too - they run large for size, I have a Kuiu Kenai in XL and the First Lite L fits noticeable larger on me

Whisky

WKR
What is the weight of the Woodbury compared to uncompadre? I didn't see it on FL website?

And packability?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

charvey9

WKR
charvy - have you ever layered the Woodbury over the Uncompagre? Can you speak at all to the relative warmth of this combo? And is the puffy's noise muffled a bit by the Woodbury?

Noise level would be muffled a little sure, but I have not tried this combo. At that point I would just reach for the Sanctuary.

charvey9

WKR
What is the weight of the Woodbury compared to uncompadre? I didn't see it on FL website?

And packability?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Weights are listed in the 2016 Catalog.

2016 FIRST LITE WORKBOOK by Sam Rodgers - issuu

Since the Woodbury was not designed as a backpacking jacket, the Uncompaghre is considerably lighter and more packable. (The Cirrus even more so). However, that didn't stop me from carrying it in 9 miles when I knew the weather would require it.

Whisky

WKR
Good to know. Also late season I'm usually packing in a puffy and soft-shell and I think the Woodbury would be a better option to replace those 2 at that time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

charvey9

WKR
Good to know. Also late season I'm usually packing in a puffy and soft-shell and I think the Woodbury would be a better option to replace those 2 at that time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yep. That's the same logic I used. The hood also comes off, so save a little off the listed weight.

I have all three.

For stand hunting, and I had to pick one, the sanctuary would be it. It's hard to overheat when you are not moving but it's easy to get cold.

OP
Desk Jockey
I am leaning toward the Woodbury. I wear an XL in the unkambucha puffy. Does the Woodbury fit the same?

sackwp42

FNG
My medium Woodbury fits me perfect 6' 170lbs. It's claimed weight is 55oz. I can't imagine it being 'bad' late season with some good layering. It has a nice cut for drawing a bow.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a lot to add, but just wanted to say that I about laugh out loud at all of Jockey's random spellings of the unpronounceable.

Anyone ever wear the uncompaghre vest under the uncompaghre jacket? I need to cover a wide temp range including Sept archery in the mountains and mid/late season stand hunting in the Midwest. I don't really want to buy all 3 or 4 jackets but would like to have 2 as options to wear alone or layer.

OP
Desk Jockey
So I bought the Woodbury. Fit is true to first lite. Without holding a sanctuary, I am kind of glad I didn't buy the heavier coat. This thing is heavy as it is. Looking forward to trying out the warmth later this season.

Pac8541

Lil-Rokslider
So who has used these and can offer some informed contrast?

I have an uncomflagnar puffy that I used last year for eastern whitetail in late bow hunting season. Mostly still hunting and one or two blind sits. It was fine on the move. A little more insulation would have been welcome while still.

I am noodling over a sanctuary or Woodbury for this year as I will be doing a bit more stand hunting. The sanctuary seem well built for late season stand hunting but too heavy and bulky for anything else. The unforgiven puffy is a bit on the light side for really cold weather. Is the Woodbury the perfect goldilocks jacket in the fl line up?

So for those in the know, how do the various models compare?

I am leaning toward the Woodbury. I wear an XL in the unkambucha puffy. Does the Woodbury fit the same?

Its been an incredibly long day and I'm winding down with a bunch of beer but the above plus your thread title literally has me laughing my ass off! I'm in tears!! THANK YOU SIR, I NEEDED THAT!!!

OP
Desk Jockey
Yes. Thank you.

First lite. Call me. I guarantee I can come up with less stupid names for your gear. I will do it for free. If I don't produce results you get your money back.

Dameon

WKR
Is it bad that I have to google how to spell it? Is it worse that spell check still mucks it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both the unpronounceable and the sanctuary; both have their place and I love them both. My only complaint about the sanctuary is that my binos will sometime get too warm inside and then fogged up when I take them out. I would suggest not keeping them in your bino harness if you will be zipping up your sanctuary. Also, the sanctuary is VERY HEAVY and bulky. It takes up about 2/3 of my 22 mag, but if day hunting to stands I don't take much else. Warmth to weight ratio is far better for the unpronounceable. If you plan on hiking any sort of distances I would recommend the Kifaru Lost Park as it will give you the increased warmth without much extra weight. You don't get any help on loudness though.