Top 5 gear items that help you hunt more efficiently/comfortably

goat1958

FNG
With leica glass you won't have any eyestrain. If you do something is wrong. The outdoorsmans tripod will help with neck strain thou.......

jm1607

WKR
In no particular order:

1) Trekking Poles
2) Bino Adapter for Tripod
3) High Quality Optics
4) Kifaru Pack
5) Gaiters

twall13

WKR
1. My hammock. I honestly sleep alot better in a hammock than on the ground and a good night's sleep makes a big difference on a hunt.

2. My tripod with outdoorsman binocular adapter. It makes glassing so much better.

3. I've been enjoying my Buff the last few years as well. Provides facial concealment, bug and sun protection and a little warmth when needed.

4. AGC bino pack.

5. OnX maps on my phone and the battery pack to keep it charged. I found a few areas to hunt through these maps while on the mountain this year when the first several I had planned it were a bust.

Also, not really a gear item but I tried out the Nuun tablets in my water this year and noticed it really helped prevent the leg cramps I've been getting after alot of hiking. They take alot longer than propel packets to dissolve but they clearly replenish electrolytes better for me.

Last edited:

lkwoolsey

WKR
1. $5 WalMart glassing butt pad
2. Woobie- I don't carry extra layers for my legs, I just carry a woobie. My hunting partner leaves his extra bottom layers at home too, and we just share the woobie (no home) saves weight and the kifaru Doobie can double as a sleeping bag.
3. Tarp- whether kifaru's sheep tarp or a $5 WalMart tarp, makes it way more comfortable while glassing (disclaimer- I hunt almost exclusively in western Washington and it rains almost constantly.)
4. Microfiber cloth- for wiping off the water on all my glass ( again, even with all sorts of covers and stuff, glass still inevitably gets wet.)
5. Kuiu Pack cover- fits perfectly over my EMR II even when fully loaded, and it has a super convenient little slit that your rifle can slide through. I've never had any issues with it leaking any noticeable amount of water down into the pack either. Keeps all my stuff dry, and stuffs down smaller than a baseball.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
1. Alaska Guide Creations Bino Harness
2. Petzl e-lite
3. Honey Stinger - PB sandwiches (Justin's PB Pouch)
4. 30L Sea to Summit Dry Compression Bag - Event
5. Tenacious Tape

Gumbo

WKR
1) Zeiss Diascope 85mm. This changed my hunting strategy and efficiency more than any other piece of gear.
2) Thumb release/shooting sticks (tie). One helped me beat target panic, one makes getting a rock solid rest a cinch.
3) GPS w/ landowner/topo chip.
4) FHF harness/rangefinder pouch.
5) Gun Bearer.

Tag_Soup

WKR
This thread is full of awesome ideas!
These may not be my most important items, but some are and most are somewhat unique from what I have read so far!

1) ThermaRest Z-Lite Sol regular (should be called a short) CCF Pad with two of my wife's athletic hair bands around it - the ones that are about 6" in diameter, flat cross section, and 3/8" wide. I cut 4" slits into each edge of the joints with a HOT piece of metal banding (prevents the sections tearing at the cut). This allows one or several sections to be unfolded from the two bands and the rest to still be banded together. The pad makes an awesome glassing pad setup. I can unfold two sections to sit on and have some lumbar support when on steeper hills or up against a rock/tree. Also gives a 3/4 length pad to spend a night on if I get stuck out. In this case I throw my pack(less frame) under my legs and have a fairly warm full length pad. I am on this pad more than my main sleeping pad!
2) An empty 16.9 oz plastic water bottle (the ultra cheap ultra light disposable kind) wrapped in thin aluminum bubble wrap style insulation. They can be a bit tricky to pour into, but fill it with hot water and you have a 4 hour hot pad while glassing. Not to mention add instant coffee three hours later to avoid the "end of first hour" crash.
3) Starbucks Via to go along with #2. Cant beat the convenience. A hot cup of coffee while glassing makes the morning!
4) A pair of beading pliers - $5 from walmart craft section. Around an ounce to save my fingers while switching out Havalon blades. Have more than one acquaintance who had to take an emergency trip off the mountain from that.
5) Custom build sleeping bag with synthetic body, pad sleeve, and down insulated quilt. The idea comes from the Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed. The down quilt lets it breath, but in the event it gets wet, I can still sleep a warm night by pulling the quilt mostly out and using a down puffy and/or woobie up top. This on is still a work in progress, but should be a game changer for my sleep system.

Bmcox86

WKR
1. First Layer Merino
2. FHF Bino/Rangefinder Harness
3. Vortex Rangefinder- My Leupold was going crazy last year and was ready wrong distances and the black readout was hard to read against timber. The vortex gets a lot quicker readings and I can actually see them.
4. SnipePod Bi Pod- I can set up to shoot from sitting to prone and feel confident with my rest
5. OR Aerator Gloves- Thin but keeps my hands out of the elements

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
1. Good glass; I use Vortex, but all good glass is...good :$)
2. Starbucks instant packets & excedrin
3. Grabber All weather emergency blanket; mylar blanket/tarp combo. Works great as a tarp for a ground shield, makeshift shelter, also works to keep you warm on the mylar side.
4. Puffy coat and packable rain gear.
5. Kuiu Guide pant. I use the vent zips all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Jon Boy

WKR
1.) Down pants, life saver for cold glassing sessions.
2.) gps w/ onx chip. I couldnt hunt many of my spots with out it.
3.) WM Badger. Could sleeper and this bag allows me to stay toasty warm.
4.) Schnees absaroka/granites. Most comfortable boot i've found for my foot.
5.) Lucky budweiser hat. Its good luck.

1) Anything cuben fiber, stuff sacks, dry bags, and especially shelters. My number one would be my CF floorless shelters.

2) Locus Gear trekking poles, don't leave home without them.

3) Even though you said you're not talking about packs, etc., I have to have my Stone Glacier pack at #3. Light weight and very comfortable.

4) Chugach rain gear.

5) Garmin Montana 600 GPS with Onx chip. Super quick at acquiring satellites and super user friendly.

tttoadman

WKR
1. AGC cub with basement: quick access to my light, meds, elk call, tripod adapter, and inreach. I also carry my gun on top of it while hunting.

2. REI inflatable butt pad: Super handy. I sit to glass because I only have a mini tripod. I leave this thing inflated sometimes, and it sits in the pocket in the MW bag. I can also slide it in the grabit, and clip the lid over it. Obviously I abuse my pack. It makes a great seat, and keeps my ass off the ground.

3. Inreach: Love this thing.

4. fleece bacalava: Picked up this year, and really love it.

5. Cimarron: Got it this year. A truly compact shelter that allows a couple guys to hang out and enjoy the evenings instead of trying to share a cooker and talk through tent walls.

frankrb3

WKR
1.) Baby Wipes
2.) GPS
3.) Gaiters
4.) AGC Bino Harness
5.) Outdoorsman Medium Compact Tripod with Pan Head

Others:
First lite Puffy
Crazy Creek Hex 2.0 chair
Trioxane fire starters
Bahco Laplander

Hall256

WKR
This thread is full of awesome ideas!
These may not be my most important items, but some are and most are somewhat unique from what I have read so far!

1) ThermaRest Z-Lite Sol regular (should be called a short) CCF Pad with two of my wife's athletic hair bands around it - the ones that are about 6" in diameter, flat cross section, and 3/8" wide. I cut 4" slits into each edge of the joints with a HOT piece of metal banding (prevents the sections tearing at the cut). This allows one or several sections to be unfolded from the two bands and the rest to still be banded together. The pad makes an awesome glassing pad setup. I can unfold two sections to sit on and have some lumbar support when on steeper hills or up against a rock/tree. Also gives a 3/4 length pad to spend a night on if I get stuck out. In this case I throw my pack(less frame) under my legs and have a fairly warm full length pad. I am on this pad more than my main sleeping pad!
2) An empty 16.9 oz plastic water bottle (the ultra cheap ultra light disposable kind) wrapped in thin aluminum bubble wrap style insulation. They can be a bit tricky to pour into, but fill it with hot water and you have a 4 hour hot pad while glassing. Not to mention add instant coffee three hours later to avoid the "end of first hour" crash.
3) Starbucks Via to go along with #2. Cant beat the convenience. A hot cup of coffee while glassing makes the morning!
4) A pair of beading pliers - $5 from walmart craft section. Around an ounce to save my fingers while switching out Havalon blades. Have more than one acquaintance who had to take an emergency trip off the mountain from that.
5) Custom build sleeping bag with synthetic body, pad sleeve, and down insulated quilt. The idea comes from the Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed. The down quilt lets it breath, but in the event it gets wet, I can still sleep a warm night by pulling the quilt mostly out and using a down puffy and/or woobie up top. This on is still a work in progress, but should be a game changer for my sleep system.

Tag, do you have a picture of the Therm-a-rest that you modified?