Top 5 gear items that help you hunt more efficiently/comfortably

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
a wool Buff is a really nice little piece, multiple use and light

small ccf pad for sitting- weighs nothing (2oz) and is used a ton

iPhone w/Gaia software- a real game changer for me- seamless 24k:1 topos, full functioning GPS, nice camera and even occasionally make a phone call with it

Black Diamond Spot headlamp- 200 lumens (or less), good battery life (lithium), very weather resistant and very reasonably priced- I was hiking (and out) 5-7 miles before daylight, was glad to have a nice lamp

Platypus soft water bottles (various sizes depending)- light, sturdy (some are 10 years + old) and you can squeeze them down for no sloshing

1) Black Diamond 3 Piece Carbon Whippet. (Trekking pole with mini ice axe head)

2) Under Ground Equipment: Flight Jacket 20* Down Quilt, 20 ounces.

3) Stone Glacier Sky 5100 Pack

4) Kimber Adirondack 6.5 Creedmoor/ Leupold VX3 CDS, 5 lbs. 10 oz. total

5) SOL Escape Bivy, Waterproof/Breathable with a zipper. 8 oz. Use for emergency night out or to add some warmth or protection over quilt.

Last edited:

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
1. Delorme inReach so I can text my wife and keep her happy so I get to hunt.

2. Trekking poles - I prefer Black Diamond carbon Z poles.

3. Kifaru gun bearer

4. Leupold scope flip up covers (overpriced but high quality and keep the glass dry when bushwhacking wet Washington bush)

5. Havalon piranta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aries_Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
Been slowly getting items for use when im home for either time afield, or hunting/fishing trips........

AGC Bino Chest Harness
Quality 12X50 Binos with Tripod Mount
Helinox Chair
Merino..Merino..Merino....Love the stuff (Mostly Icebreaker and Core4)
Squinchers Zero electrolyte replenishment / Mount Hagen Organic Regular Instant Coffee (Beats Via hands down)

Honorable mention: Rebuilding my Possibles kit

Next on the list: Delorme Inreach SE

GKPrice

Banned
I appear to be doing everything contrary to this. I better rethink my position. I keep hinting to the wife that we should move to ID, but she says she is not interested.

You are the man.

OH, Oregon's not so bad if you ignore, or try to ignore, the politics - too much "rich guys own all the land" going on too (that fancy hunting clothing brand's owner isn't doing we blue collar hunters any favors)

willidru

WKR
1. Defogger spray for optics
2. Nite Ize gear ties
3. Kenai zip off pants
4. Pilla Rx Liberty shooting glasses the (100% UV and tint really makes surroundings pop out)
5. Specialty outdoor products ultimate gun sling

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
1. Hand warmers
2. Garmin 64st GPS with onx chip
3. Tripod for binos.. I started using one this year and what a difference it makes!
4. Neck gator
5. Good boots (I'm currently using some Lowa Renagades and really like them).

That's my list of 5 important things that help me stay out and hunt better.

JPD350

WKR
1) I bought a Luci blow up light/lantern, it's solar powered, compact and very light, I am really liking this thing! great purchase for 20 bucks.
2) I continue to use the hell out of my Kelvin lite pants, the only bad thing is that I put a couple holes in them every time out but my next item fixes them right up.
3) Tenacious Tape, this stuff is awesome and always has a place in my pack. I also patched a slow leak on a raft which held up for the rest of an Alaskan river trip
4)Sitka 90% jacket the more I use it the more I like it
5) Kelvin lite jacket, layered under the 90% jacket and I am good to go!

as.ks.ak

WKR
I'm gonna hit y'all with strictly my comfort items here. Let's just assume the basics as far a quality shelter, solid clothing, and leukotape. Who leaves home without it?!

1. Delorme Inreach. Hunting solo most times, this give me the piece of mind that when I make that faulty step while traversing the spine of a nasty ridge the coast guard and/or state troopers will be on their way ASAP.

2. Closed cell old school thermarest....I use this under my inflatable sleeping pad for added protection and comfort. AND I cut about 1.5' off the lower "foot section" and use it as a glassing pad and then when it's bed time I use the glassing pad as a pillow. Wrap the pad around my insulation layer and then wrap the entire pillow in a game bag. Talk about "dual purpose"..totally worth the extra weight.

3. Electric bear fence...talk about piece of mind when you can't fall asleep those first few nights when you're solo.

4. Crocs for camp and water crossings. I'm ashamed to wear them in town, but in the mountains I tote those bastards with pride!

5. Thin mints...because who doesn't like Girl Scout cookies to celebrate a kill or surviving a near death experience?!

6. Yeah I know you said 5. Too bad, this one is THAT important to me! It's hard candy....when a guy is stuck in the tent for multiple days due to weather, it a lot harder for me to not eat a bunch. With no goal or tasks to keep me busy, I find I start thinking about how hungry I am. Having hard candies was a game changer for me last fall.

xziang

WKR
GPS (Garmin 60CSX)/62St

Delorme InReach had to hunt solo so nice to keep in touch with family back home and they track where I'm at.

Trekking poles. (Hike in and Out) While hunting find a sturdy stick for bow is in other hand. Can't recall how many sticks I've left at my last resting point.

My TopoMaps

Kuiu Zip off bottoms. Love being able to remove these without having to take off my boots.

Chapstick (number 6 I know)

Heat in the tent is number one. With my back and neck, a chair is number two. I'm also a helinox fan.

1. Zip lock of wet wipes.

2. HPG Tool Roll. I hardly every go anywhere without this kit. I have it packed wiht first aid, survival, fire, light etc. Its light compact and well organized and has things I need and use regularly.

3. Outdoorsman Bino Tripod Adapter. I have learned to love running my binos off the tripod with this unit. So much that I sold my spotter and have not regrets so far.

4. Kifaru Pullouts. I love organizing kits of gear in these and usually have 2 or 3 of the kits with me depending on the trip... Kill Kit, Toiletry Kit, Archery Possibles, Muzzy Possibles, Rifle Possibles, Food/Snacks.

5. Roll a cot. Wide version with a good pad and canvas bag. Not for backpack trips obviously but this set up has made my life so much more enjoyable when I am at a basecamp by a truck/atv.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
1. My steripen

2. My Kratom

3. Rick young Bino harness with pod8 rangefinder pouch

4. My Custom Kifaru highcamp 7000 with center zip

5. My Kratom again

1. My steripen

2. My Kratom

4. My Custom Kifaru highcamp 7000 with center zip

5. My Kratom again

Kratom / mind altering plant from Southeast Asia???

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Maybe it's legal in Colorado?

Its classified as a supplement and legal in most states only a few have it flagged illegal. Its also legal on a federal level. i use it to help me sleep works great. I have tried alot of other types of sleep aids but cant stand feeling half there the next morning. Kratom doesnt leave me feeling that way.

Some guys take Nyquil, Tylenol PM ect. ect. I choose the all natural route. Also helps out with aches and pains, or to help energize you. just depends on the strain.

Randle

WKR

DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THIS PUT TOGETHER

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved

DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THIS PUT TOGETHER

IMG_3401_zpstleythhf.jpg

IMG_5313_zpsbhnuclac.jpg