Top 5 gear items that help you hunt more efficiently/comfortably

Tag_Soup

WKR
Tag, do you have a picture of the Therm-a-rest that you modified?

Hey, sorry this took me so long! Mice ended up getting into my older one, so I made a new one. I went with less sections this time, but hopefully this shows how I run it
2ee70970b4685105f708afebe165dec9.jpg
017c59a371b980a28d83291342237572.jpg
8890f558d655c4dd1ac8fe1976e9eda4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
the one thing i dont see [ other than a gun bearer] is a comfortable sling. i would not consider carrying a rifle with out a slogan outdoors sling. i like the gun bearer but the sling is a notch better.

my coffee kit is also a huge comfort item in cold weather. with fuel bars it can start a fire or just heat water.
add a but pad, gaiters and a gps.

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, sorry this took me so long! Mice ended up getting into my older one, so I made a new one. I went with less sections this time, but hopefully this shows how I run it
2ee70970b4685105f708afebe165dec9.jpg
017c59a371b980a28d83291342237572.jpg
8890f558d655c4dd1ac8fe1976e9eda4.jpg

I must've missed it, but how did you do that?
I like that!

Tag_Soup

WKR
I must've missed it, but how did you do that?
I like that!

It's about 5 pages back, so no worries. I use a red hot piece of metal banding to slice about 3" in from either edge on every section line. The melted edge will not tear very easily. I use ladies hair bands (the large ones intended to go around the head) to hold it all together. I may end up making some 5/8 straps with cam lock buckles, but for now this serves well.

Good glassing and emergency pad for when I am out without a shelter or a long ways away from camp. I had to spend a night on my old one once with a military poncho liner (wooby) as a blanket and my pack over my feet. Worked really well.

Some of these have been said before, but these 5 things I bought before last season or always had but started bringing with me and they will be in my pack for every hunt:

- kindle ebook. Weighs only 170g (6oz) and allows you to bring an entire library with you. Great for solo hunting to stave of boredom or loneliness during mid day when nothing's moving and you need a break from glassing or after the sun goes down.
- thermarest z seat. Weighs 60g (2oz). Can sit on snow, cold sharp rocks, use as a knee pad etc.
- kenai zip off pants
- kifaru gunbearer
- jetboil - instantly warm up with a coffee or tea anywhere. Never going back to a standard stove.

BradNSW

FNG
Must haves for a 55 year old 1 week back pack hunt:

Katadine water filter (30 years old and still pumping). Katadyn Pocket Water Filter | | Campmor

Optimus stove (30 years old and still burning).https://www.campmor.com/c/optimus-hiker-backpacking-stove-82424?gclid=CjwKCAjwoNrMBRB4EiwA_ODYv7aR9GqM8oYvbo5k3PWqLDE_lNu9hsbur_o4sMUA5AgxmUlUnAzDnxoC3ZYQAvD_BwE Runs on Diesel or gas.

Havalon knife (only one self inflicted wound on dozens of animals!).Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Gaiters. Under Armour Ridge Reaper Gaiters Polyester Kevlar - UPC: 887907939790

SCOTCH CONTAINER and motrin...at 55, these are "must" creature comforts!
Scotch container.jpg The Scotch makes a "s*#ty ground pad feel like a decent bed.

First two were under a $100 back then, the Havalon's didn't exist, just bought new gaiters this year for the 30 year old ones and the Scotch has been around since the beginning...but I added the motrin when I hit 50!

1. Thermacell
2. Trekking poles
3. Helinox chair when glassing or sitting in natural blind
4. Great fitting boots and Darn Tough socks
5. Awesome optics

Savage99

WKR
1. Thermacell
2. Trekking poles
3. Helinox chair when glassing or sitting in natural blind
4. Great fitting boots and Darn Tough socks
5. Awesome optics

Hmm, maybe I should bring my thermacell..

danarnold

WKR
I got a helinox zero chair a while ago (because of this thread) then upgraded to the swivel helinox and love it, arrowed a cow from it at first light in Co this year , no way could I have done w/o the swivel

CaseyU

WKR
Binoculars on tripod(most carry both) just need to carry adapter. (more time on glass=more animals, its physics ;))
Puffy Jacket
some sort of padded seat
snacks on snacks on snacks
and last but not least which most people over look are quality socks!