solar chargers

Just wondering why I don't see more guys using these solar battery / charger system?

Amazon.com: Nekteck Solar Charger 10000mAh Rain-resistant Dirt/Shockproof Dual USB Port Portable Charger Battery with High-Efficiency SunPower Solar Panel Backup Power Pack for All USB Supported Devices, Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

At 10,000 mah its a lot of btty, and is rechargeable?
As with many things we choose to bring, this doubles, actually triples its purpose... its a battery, charger and a light

Im adding this to my next hunt

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
Bought one and the solar panel didn't recharge the battery pack during a week long hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

You need to research these. The panel is not big/strong enough to recharge the unit quickly. The one you linked has an answer from someone that it took 4 days to recharge.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used one off and on last season and wasn't impressed. Still in the search for a better option. The one I used is linked below. The reviews on Amazon pretty much sum up my experience. Hours of direct sunlight resulted in little to no charge.

Amazon.com : BioLite SolarPanel 5+ Solar Charger with Battery : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Based on what I learned on this thread I am thinking of picking up this one:
Amazon.com: Suntactics S5 Solar Charger, -Made in the USA, -Super Light Weight, -Auto-Retry, -Waterproof, -Reliable, -Charges all iPhones, Galaxies, -Anything USB: Cell Phones & Accessories
at 7 ounces it looks like a good one..

Last edited:

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to throw another in, I'm using the Goal Zero nomad 7 panel and the venture 30 pack... the venture 30 is heavy but it seems to charge full during the day. I would leave it out when we left in the mornings and when we got back it was always full, so not sure if it charged true to their time claimed or not. Switching to the Dark Energy packs this year with the same panel, lighter weight and smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
I put up a few pictures of an amazon deal they had a few weeks ago. Aukey 15w folding solar panel. Seems to work tons better than the all in one units.
b28e55c7717977101e7600c179698b27.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Derek0525

WKR
I had a goal zero nomad I believe it was and I couldn't even charge my phone with it. Bought a Dark energy last year and have been happy with it.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a goal zero nomad I believe it was and I couldn't even charge my phone with it. Bought a Dark energy last year and have been happy with it.

Yeah I learned you have to go from the panel to the battery pack to the phone or whatever. Tried it with only the panel and failed miserably.

Logan T

WKR
Anyone here have experience with the Goal Zero vs. Suntactics or either of those versus the Aukey or any others? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to knowledge of these panels. I did pick up a goal zero flip 30 back in the end of november for cheap on sale and really like how many times I can charge the phone with it, as well as how fast it charges.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I learned you have to go from the panel to the battery pack to the phone or whatever. Tried it with only the panel and failed miserably.

I concur. I use the Outdoor Tech Kodiak, then charge it via something else. Then use the batter pack to power my phone. Initially I had ok success with my old solar panel, but am currently debating the Suntactics or a Goal Zero one to replace it.

Here is the battery pack I have: Shop everything from best earphones for iphone to beanie hats for men | Outdoor Technology
I like how tough they are. I got mine in a neon blue and it makes it easy to find, and its weather proof. I need to remind myself to make sure, but if I recall correctly I get 2-3 full charges out of a fully charged battery (Kodiak 2.0 Charging a Samsung Note 5)

mavmskyb8

FNG
I've had luck with the goal zero 13 and the Dark energy charger. The Dark Energy charged my Note 4, 4 times before I hooked it up the 13.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had luck with the goal zero 13 and the Dark energy charger. The Dark Energy charged my Note 4, 4 times before I hooked it up the 13.

Did you use this one or something different? Amazon.com: Dark Energy Poseidon: IP68 Waterproof, Shockproof, Dustproof, 10,000mah, 2 USB Port, 3.4 Amp Extreme Hard Use Portable Charger and Light PLUS Paracord Charging Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories Specs say is 9.6oz or so. How did that compare to what yours weighs?
All this electronic stuff we end up dragging around starts to add up!! :)

I do like how their website shows they are pro hunting.
About Dark Energy | Dark Energy
Pretty much blatantly states they are designed for hunters. Good to see that, and the whole operation underground railroad is quite the cause!

We used a PowerFilm R-13 and a 20000mAh power bank (can't remember the name Insec? it was a little better than a pound) . I think you can get even bigger power banks at less weight now.

The PowerFilm R-13 is a rollable solar charger that is an odd size that is supposedly made from the end pieces or scrap from their regular production run. If you watch it, you can save some dough going with an R-13 as opposed to some of the others.

The PowerFilm has a car lighter adapter which we used to charge the power bank.

We made sure that the power bank was fully charged before packing in. I dropped the rollable parts of my cylinder stove into an old, heavier stuff sack, rolled the PowerFilm around that and put it in another bag. Cords went inside the stove parts.

We had five guys using phones as cameras, mostly keeping phones in airplane mode. The power bank was supposed to fully charge a phone eight times if I remember correctly. We would top off the phones at night from the power bank and then the next day, whoever was back at camp mid day would set out the PowerFilm and top off the power bank.

We had clear weather except for a couple of days, we weren't screwing around on our phones and had no problems keeping things charged.

Supposedly, the set up we used wouldn't drain a battery if the sun went down and someone had failed to disconnect it, but we only hooked it up midday when we were there and whoever was heading out last disconnected it. I'm not a tech guy. Be aware of this potential problem if you use a solar charger. Try it out at home a few times first. I did not purposely leave it hooked up at home to see if it would drain the power bank, however.

FWIW - If it's you and a buddy, make sure that your phones are fully charged when you leave the truck. Use one of the new power banks. I think that they claim that you can get nine full charges out of one now. The PowerFilm weighs about the same as two-three power banks. A little over a pound and a half with the cords and bag if I remember correctly. Unless you have four or five guys going and you're going to be away from the truck for more than eight-nine days, carrying your own power bank and managing your usage will work.

*Edit found the power bank...it was Vinsic 1.1 lbs supposedly ten charges - really eight.

Last edited:

mavmskyb8

FNG
Did you use this one or something different? Amazon.com: Dark Energy Poseidon: IP68 Waterproof, Shockproof, Dustproof, 10,000mah, 2 USB Port, 3.4 Amp Extreme Hard Use Portable Charger and Light PLUS Paracord Charging Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories Specs say is 9.6oz or so. How did that compare to what yours weighs?
All this electronic stuff we end up dragging around starts to add up!! :)

I do like how their website shows they are pro hunting.
About Dark Energy | Dark Energy
Pretty much blatantly states they are designed for hunters. Good to see that, and the whole operation underground railroad is quite the cause!

Yes sir, That's the set up! Works great for me!

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
i have tried the yolk solar paper it is expanable for more output and faily light weight. it does need to have good amount of sun though. has anyone else tried the solar paper ?

mudcat81

FNG
To the top for hopefully more first hand knowledge and recommendations.

Currently looking for a power bank and possibly a solar panel charger for a upcoming scouting/ backpacking trip.