Fixed blade or folder?

Bmcox86

WKR
Man I hate knife threads, I already have a custom knife with a dall sheep horn handle on order and I just ordered one of those mora knives off Amazon to see what all the fuss is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cgeb

WKR
Man I hate knife threads, I already have a custom knife with a dall sheep horn handle on order and I just ordered one of those mora knives off Amazon to see what all the fuss is about.

Not sure which version you guys are getting. The carbon version take a little maintenance to keep the blade from staining. Keep it clean wipe it down with a little veggie oil after butchering/gutting. If it does stain, doesn't hurt blade performance. Stainless is a little easier to "neglect".

Welcome to the club. Probably won't be your last Mora knife.

For most hunting related things I prefer the Havalon, and my every day knife is a Buck folder....so I guess that is what I mostly prefer.
Having said that, if my life depended on a knife it would be a fixed blade.

Esse quam videri

boom

WKR
i cut the belt loop off my Mora and just carry it in the pack..that thing is crazy light.

you two that ordered them...hahah. i hope you love it, and i feel sorry for all your other knives.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I traded in my old Havalon for an Outdoor Edge- little sturdier, little safer; but always carry a small fixed blade- my Bark River Woodland Special

GKPrice

Banned
last year I found myself standing over a dead elk and my pack was a mile+ away, I had a Leatherman Skeletool in my pocket, took care of the elk from stem to stern completely with it and it will still take hair off my arm - I like both BTW

kpk

WKR
My brother is an electrician and has carried a mora for years. He's beat the crap out of that thing and doesn't take care of it at all. They are an unbelievable buy for what they cost.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I like to take a heavier fixed blade with me hunting. I find they work better for me pulling the hide back. I use a folder for smaller chores. I've never used the Havalon knives but they are gaining popularity. Everyone is different but when I skin with a really sharp, thin blade I end up cutting into the meat a lot. I can move a lot faster with a heavier, bigger blade. I've always been good at throwing an edge back on them when needed. I like knives anyway, so the concept of a throw-away blade never appealed to me.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
For an EDC knife. I'll only carry a folder. I have a Benchmade mini grip and a Spyderco Delica 4 for that purpose. For hunting though, I only use fixed knives. It's a lot easier to clean a fixed knife when you get all that gunk on it. Haven't tried a Havalon yet, but I like the concept. I wish it was a fixed knife with replaceable blades though.

Bmcox86

WKR
For an EDC knife. I'll only carry a folder. I have a Benchmade mini grip and a Spyderco Delica 4 for that purpose. For hunting though, I only use fixed knives. It's a lot easier to clean a fixed knife when you get all that gunk on it. Haven't tried a Havalon yet, but I like the concept. I wish it was a fixed knife with replaceable blades though.

They make a fixed blade that takes the havalon blades, I saw one at a local store the other day. Not made by havalon, think it's for trappers and such

blackdawg

WKR
I purchased the Outdoor Edge Razor Lite this fall, used it on 6 animals, amazingly easy to change blades and clean, my go to knife for all purposes is a Cutco Fixed blade, 20 years now, indestructable. I carry a plastic handled Wyoming knife also, not so easy to clean but for making a quick zip up and down back/stomach/legs etc, it works great. The plastic Wyoming knife is also very light, it may be my favorite for skinning nowadays, the old metal handled one I didn't care for.

Last edited:

bline

FNG
I always have a folder in my pocket for easy access and a fixed blade in/on my pack for field dressing when hunting. I'm another one that likes knives and would want to carry a "real knife" even if I used a havalon or something like that.

frankrb3

WKR
The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. I am a "knife-ololic".

I'm not going to go thru the list of what I own. Let me just say there is a little bit of knife shame in carrying a plastic looking knife, but you guys need to spend about $10 - $15 bucks on a Mora knife. It will set you free. I suggest the stainless version but they do make carbon versions.

For the backpackers they are light. Survival schools basically had them out as attendance prizes for the students to use. Hold a wicked edge, easy to sharpen. You can even run them thru the cheap carbon stick all in one sharpeners and come out with a good edge.

I have one in every backpack and vehicle I own with a few to spare. My EDC folder is a Sypderco folder, usually the Delica, sometimes the Endura.

This is an excellent recommendation and exactly what I do. I keep an $11 Mora Companion in my pack as well as a bacho laplander saw and havalon stag. There is nothing I can't do with these three tools while hunting miles from the truck. Ultra light guys may think this is redundant, but these two knives cannot replace eachother. Battle horse knives does make an interesting folding knife that is locked with two pins that you have to manually insert through the frame. I have no experience with it but it's the closest thing to folding knife convenience mixed with fixed blade strength. It's called the Battle Horse Knives Tree frog and if you're already an avid knife guy it might interest you as it appears unique and practical. Anyways it might be worth a look. Link below

Battle Horse Knives Tree Frog Folding Knife Black Micarta (3.5" Satin) BHK - Blade HQ

Last edited:

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Just another wrench to throw in here, but sometimes I take a small axe or hatchet, especially if I'll be out where I know I can have a good fire. If the head has the right profile, you can do field work (and more) on critters of all size. Axe, hatchet, mora, anything with a high carbon edge can be made shaving sharp with little effort. The handle of the hatchet/axe can make skinning a hung elk a breeze. I don't think I would touch another elk without a small axe (I'm talking a hung elk, not just on the ground).

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a TOPS btk fixed blade in a kydex sheath and a Skeletool cx. I haven't jumped on the scalpel wagon just yet. For me it's easier to clean blood, fat, and hair from and very easy to touch up with a quick sharpener.