Fixed blade or folder?

kodiakfly

WKR
Depends on what you're doing with it. That's why they make such a wide variety of makes and styles. For survival, I only trust a fixed blade. For a utility knife, I like a folder. For a skinner, I can go either way.

• Banned
OP
M

Mossy

WKR
I was thinking fixed on the hip for quicker access if the need ever arises but main purpose would be survival/skinner. Currently have a 110 for a do it all

Bmcox86

WKR
I like them both, I have a Benchmade fixed blade that is awesome for skinning and quartering, especially getting around the joints and neck but I can't sharpen a knife to save my life so mostly use the havalon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
I run a fixed on my pack belt which functions as my utility/survival knife and also used for field dressing. It is a benchmade saddle mountain skinner. I have a havalon in my pack for field dressing.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Fixed are a heck of a lot easier to clean, but I also use a Havalon. Just cleaned both the other day after breaking down two deer. Fixed is easy, had to use q-tips on the Havalon. I have a Buck 110 folder that's almost 37 years old. It's amazing what gets in all those hard to clean places. But I won't wear a fixed blade on my belt.

charvey9

WKR
I prefer a folder for most things. In general I think they are more versatile, take up less space, and can carry them just about anywhere. The only time I prefer a fixed blade is when I know I'll have heavy gloves on most of the time. I've been doing a lot of winter crabbing lately and find it a pain in the ass to dig out my folder with cold wet gloves on, so it is nice having a fixed blade haning from my belt for easy access.

I would never want to carry a knife on my belt while wearing a heavy pack. It just adds another pressure point and hard to access with a pack on anyway. If you attach the knife to your pack, then you don't have it when you take your pack off. Folder in my pocket all the time while hunting.

Felix40

WKR
I'm with Charvey. Always have a folder in my pocket. I don't really do the fancy knives either. I've broken and lost too many nice knives. Now I just run a very basic knife with decent steel.

boom

WKR
i'm not the best field butcher. so i like a fixed blade. easier to clean up the tool afterwards. i know a skilled rancher that can clean a hog and only his fingertips are bloody..his knife is virtually blood free. he used a tiny CASE folder.

i just fixed a Buck 112 and it is a lazer. i really put an edge on it, and it will go with me to AZ in a few weeks. we shall see what happens.

kodiakfly

WKR
I was thinking fixed on the hip for quicker access if the need ever arises but main purpose would be survival/skinner. Currently have a 110 for a do it all

If we're talking true life/death/making a shelter survival, then I trust a dedicated survival style fixed blade. If we're talking survival in terms of "bug-out" zombie stuff, then a folder is probably fine. I sometimes carry an automatic Benchmade on the top of my AGC just for easy access and because I always have it with me. But my survival blade sits with my Havalon inside my pack. I'm not going to need a survival blade or my Havalon in an instant, so I can put them away. Carrying a knife on a belt is a pain for me.

elkguide

WKR
Fixed. Style, versatility and fit in my hand are easier in a fixed blade knife.

(I usually am carrying a fixed on my belt and a fixed and a folder in my pack.)

robtattoo

WKR
EDC? Folder. Every single day, Benchmade 555 mini Grip. Been in my pocket for 11 years.

Hunting? Always a fixed blade, although the Grip is still in my pocket.

I used to make knives, professionally (& occasionally still do for fun...) so I carry one of my own making

I have a Havalon, but I really can't decide whether I like it or not. Nice to carry, not nice to use.

Dameon

WKR
I carry a Benchmade Contego clipped in my right pocket and a Leatherman titanium charge clipped in my left pocket. My Contego is a very large folder and it can take a beating if pressed into service as a bushcraft/survival blade. I use the smaller blades in my leatherman for finer tasks. Here's a pic of my two Contego's and leatherman. I think it is obvious which Contego I use for EDC and which one is for bushcraft.

0a0725bcb15eeca6b6b4b9782b9e4933.jpg

Both.

I have tried but just can't beat the utility of a multi tool. For short walks you may not need it but for multiday trips it is a must for me. For skinning a havalon is 3 oz of pure performance.

For fixed blades, I admitted they aren't necessary. I carry a 5 inch belt knife. It is more about than necessity but it gets used. Hacking limbs, cracking joints, it finds its way out of the sheath on most hunts.

Cgeb

WKR
The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. I am a "knife-ololic".

I'm not going to go thru the list of what I own. Let me just say there is a little bit of knife shame in carrying a plastic looking knife, but you guys need to spend about $10 - $15 bucks on a Mora knife. It will set you free. I suggest the stainless version but they do make carbon versions.

For the backpackers they are light. Survival schools basically had them out as attendance prizes for the students to use. Hold a wicked edge, easy to sharpen. You can even run them thru the cheap carbon stick all in one sharpeners and come out with a good edge.

I have one in every backpack and vehicle I own with a few to spare. My EDC folder is a Sypderco folder, usually the Delica, sometimes the Endura.

Last edited:
I prefer fixed blade knives, but there's no good way to carry a sheath knife when wearing a pack.

XM Folding Knives | Rick Hinderer Knives

I carry my belt knife in a kydex sheath. It has two webbing loops that are about 3 inches long. They drop it below my pack hip belt. I can put any pouches on that part of the hip belt but the knife is easily accessible with the pack on and doesn't flop when it is off.

boom

WKR
The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. I am a "knife-ololic".

I'm not going to go thru the list of what I own. Let me just say there is a little bit of knife shame in carrying a plastic looking knife, but you guys need to spend about $10 - $15 bucks on a Mora knife. It will set you free. I suggest the stainless version but they do make carbon versions.

For the backpackers they are light. Survival schools basically had them out as attendance prizes for the students to use. Hold a wicked edge, easy to sharpen. You can even run them thru the cheap carbon stick all in one sharpeners and come out with a good edge.

I have one in every backpack and vehicle I own with a few to spare. My EDC folder is a Sypderco folder, usually the Delica, sometimes the Endura.
My mora companion turned my custom Adventure Sworn knife into a safe queen. It punches way above its weight class. Mine is the carbon steel.

adamm88

WKR
Fixed blade if have to rely on it to do other things i can where i wouldn't rely on a folder if my life or health and safety depended on it.