Head lamps

boom

WKR
cool idea on the red lens for the Zebra.,

i love my Zebra. i just wish the headband was some bright color..like blaze orange. i hate looking deep into a dark pack to dig for a camo colored light. nitpicky, yea. but not everything i own needs to be camo colored.

Akicita

WKR
I have been using and really like my Black Diamond Storm(s). . . Whichever one you decide on be sure to budget for and purchase two! - Nothing ruins my good mood more than a broken, lost or malfunctioning headlamp while on an expedition.

Bwana

WKR
cool idea on the red lens for the Zebra.,

i love my Zebra. i just wish the headband was some bright color..like blaze orange. i hate looking deep into a dark pack to dig for a camo colored light. nitpicky, yea. but not everything i own needs to be camo colored.

Zebra makes a glow-in-the-dark light holder instead of the stock black, it's works very well...it's on their site.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using and really like my Black Diamond Storm(s). . .

I'm using a BD Spot (previous generation) and I really like it. I haven't used of them yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a current-model BD Storm, Spot or Ion. Red light, waterproof, adjustable brightness, decent price point.

I've had (and broken) a small heap of Petzl and Princeton Tec lights over the years. I gave up on Petzl because I think they fall short on features (colored light, adjustable brightness, water proofing) in the <$50 range. I gave up on Princeton Tec after breaking my SECOND warranty replacement, the second replacement light was a different model and both had very poorly designed battery doors.

Bwana

WKR

The Olight is a far better option of those 2 models, the Nitecore Cree series U2 is an undesirable brightness bin led....along with a 1 hour burn time on high, it's a worthless product in the woods.

GKPrice

Banned
I'll admit that I just scrolled through this one - ZEBRA headlamps are pretty awesome if you want to light up the area

The Olight is a far better option of those 2 models, the Nitecore Cree series U2 is an undesirable brightness bin led....along with a 1 hour burn time on high, it's a worthless product in the woods.

Why is the Olight considered better when it has a lower burn time with a lower output? What is the difference between the LED's of the two units?

Another recommendation for the Black Diamond Storm. I lock it when it's in the pack so it doesn't turn on by itself. I just picked up a couple more that were on close out from REI. I'll probably pick up one of the new 250 lumen ones before next fall.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider

I don't know if you realize, but the Zebralight H600 MkII is only $3 more than the olight and about $10 more than the Nitecore and it has a high string of about 1100 lumens with runtime up to 2hrs, and its lowest setting will go for several months on a single charged battery. It is extremely robust and althoughits not strictly a "rechargable headlamp" it uses rechargable battery. I would definitely go with that over the other options...

H600 Mk II 18650 XM-L2 Headlamp Cool White

rayporter

WKR
yes, i only posted the nitecore as a representative of recharging capability. the color and size are not what i want, either.

at the moment i run a fenix hl50.

the zebra with the 18650 battery is just too big for me. i want a smaller lighter head light with no strap over the top of your head.

I used a few cheap colemans, energizers, played around with my brothers Princeton Tec a few times, then bought a Black Diamond Storm and thought I had the holy grail of headlamps. All the features, the different colors, modes, etc, etc. Even recommended them to a few friends that bought them.

Then Bwana started telling me about Zebralights, and I finally pulled the trigger on one, and man am I glad I did. There is a night and day difference (no pun intended)! I have the floody model in a neutral white color, and the beam distribution is perfect. Decent throw with absolutely no hotspot. The color of the light is great for not bleeding out colors. The 18650 battery lasts incredibly long as well. I honestly find myself using it almost daily now.. any time I'm doing any sort of mechanic work, checking meat on the grill in the dark, bringing wood in from outside.

And Ray, the top strap on the zebra is removable if you don't want to use it. I used to think I didn't want it either and was going to take it off right away when I got the light, but I actually like it and have left it on.

Nuke Man

WKR
Just picked up a Black Diamond Spot. Has red settings and you can dim/brighten each setting. Also has a lock feature. I really like it, but I upgraded from a $15 Walmart special.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had really good luck with all of my BD lamps; the new Spot is a dandy and very reasonably priced. The lockout feature has worked flawlessly for me. With lithium batteries I get very acceptable battery life. This past fall I was using this lamp hiking into some really rugged country an hour to hour and a half before daylight, ditto on the back out- it's definitely a keeper

UtahJimmy

WKR
I use the Princeton Tec Vizz. It has the ability to lock the on/off so you don't accidentally turn it on while in your pack. It has a Red LED, 3 modes, waterproof and made in the USA.

I've been running a few Vizz lamps the last few years. Like the lockout feature but if you forget to lock it, it blinks which will result in a dead battery. So there's that warning. But they are bright with fresh batteries! Operation is nice: 1 click red light, two clicks spotlight, hold down and it fades from dim to bright in white light. three clicks locks or unlocks.

I've been using a black diamond spot and storm. I use the red led a lot when accessing treestands in the am. I also like the dimmer function. The storm has a lockout as well.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I have a Zebralight H600W MKII and agree with the above posts. I was hesitant to spend that much on a lamp knowing I still had to purchase some expensive rechargeable batteries and the charger for them. It was well worth the money spent. These things are built to last and put out way more light for the weight than any other lamp I've come across. I've used Princeton Tech, Black Diamond, Rayovak, Engergizer, Fenix, etc. in the past and the only other I'd consider again are a few of the Fenix models. As someone mentioned, you can remove the top strap on the Zebralight, that's how I run it and it works well for me. Without the top strap mine weighs in at 4.06 Oz. including the 18650 battery. If I went with a H502 which runs on 1 AA battery I could even lighten that up a bit. Honestly, for the capabilities this light has it's really a lightweight lamp.

Having used this light for a few seasons now I am pretty impressed with the 18650 battery life. When you run it on lower settings it will go for a long time. I took a backpacking trip with my 8 year old over the summer. He wanted a little extra light at night to help him feel more comfortable so I hung up my Zebralight in our shelter and let it run on the low setting all night long for 3 straight nights in addition to my normal use on the trip. When I got back home I hadn't even burned through 1/4 of the battery capacity. The lower settings really conserve battery life and are sufficient for most tasks. The nice thing is, when you do need the extra light, the Zebralight has the ability to really light up the night.

The only thing I've missed is the red light for night vision. I just saw in an earlier post on this thread where someone made a filter. I'll be doing that now too and it will cover all my needs.

boom

WKR
my zebra uses a single AA battery.

the strength of the light is not how bright it is..it is how nice the light is on LOW. it is super uniform and i can read maps and stuff. hiking in the dark in the glow is easy. not washed out.

GKPrice

Banned
we use Zebralights for night clamming in OR & WA - if you have another light that'll do that I haven't heard about it yet .....