Watches

Casio G Shock. I've rocked one for all my adventures for 10 plus years. There's a ton of different models and they are tough as nails. The watch I wear hunting is the same one I wear ice climbing, the same one I wore overseas during mission and the same one I wear backpacking. It's got the standard digital watch features (alarms, stopwatch, countdown) plus it's solar powered so it stays charged. It's low profile and doesnt hang up on shirt sleeves or your gear. Best part is it's only about $100.

I've used a few Suunto watches, and the features are cool. But the battery life, cheap feeling case and complexity made me switch back to G shock.

Been wearing a Casio G-Shock Mudman for a while now. Seem to use the stopwatch daily for workouts, cooking timer, etc. Backup compass feature is nice. Temp is only good when it's off the arm but seems fairly accurate then. Bombproof construction and solar powered. Would probably buy another one if this one ever dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't wear a watch because I find it catches on stuff constantly. I didn't like the face being reflective so I tried wearing face on the bottom of my arm and that still caught on stuff and made layers and gloves fit funny. I have found between my phone and GPS or delorme I have plenty of ways to tell time. My GPS has a function where you can set an alarm and then it asks you if you want it to turn off until the alarm goes off. I set my phone alarm too since In airplane mode it doesn't use hardly any battery. I have a LaCrosse Technologies watch from probably 10-12 years ago.

$35 Timex from Walmart. I wear them and use them for my alarm when backpacking. I replace it out every four years or so but have never had one quit working.

I have a Casio twin sensor. If I'm 100% honest, I don't love it. It has a compass and a thermometer on it. I thought those would be great to have. Well the Thermometer is never right. Even of my wrist and outside of my layers it's still off. I end up with one of those little cheap key chain thermometers hanging on my bag zipper or my smart phone weather app. The compass will be right for a couple days after I calibrate it but it will always get wonky. Enough that I don't trust it at all and I have a compass on me anyway. The light at night doesn't stay on long enough to do anything like set a timer or whatever which is frustrating. Every time I Try to do something I'm left in the dark again and have to turn the light back on. I end up using my head lamp to set my alarm half the time. Lastly, the alarm isn't loud at all and doesn't go off long. But it tells time and I'm to cheap to buy a new one. I've thought about buying a g-shock because everybody that has one loves it but I'm concerned I'll run into some of the same issues since they are Casio watches. Years ago I had a timed iron man that never gave me trouble. I may go back to that. Idk. I'm not one to dump a lot of money on a watch.

I've used a variety of Suunto's as well as Casio Pro-Trek. None of them ever seem to be accurate in the mountains, which is what I typically depend on them for. There always seems to be a 20 to 200 feet altitude difference between reality and the wrist model altimeter/watches I've tried. Maybe the top tier models perform better, but I'm not willing to spend an extra couple hundred dollars on it.

I've since gone to a G-shock for my watch and alarm and use my Samsung S7 Edge for whatever else I need in the field (GPS & Camera). For temps I just use the little zipper pull thermometers with the windchill charts on the back.

Suunto Ambit 2.
Makes navigation very simple, even at night. Keeps track of waypoints and is super easy to mark spots, such as where I parked my truck, or where I set down my pack.

Even though I also have a phone with GPS and maps, I use the watch more often.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think a watch can take the place of a handheld GPS. Screen is small and only so many buttons to control the interface, which is just a PITA.

I wear a G-Shock everyday. I've never killed one, only lost them some way or another. I bought my brother one of the first Tough Solar models over 16 years ago and it's still going strong.

frankrb3

WKR
I like my Casio G-Shock GW-M5610. Smaller than those huge G shocks, but its solar, has the wireless automatic timezone update and all the digital features. Alarm is not loud enough though which stinks.

Tsnider

WKR
got a 200$ casio protrek triple sensor used in perfect condition on ebay a few weeks back. has triple sensors, moon phases, and all that fancy stuff. i do a lot of exploring aside from hunting related so its worth it to me to have a compass fixed to my wrist.

im also ditching my GPS unit this year. ill use my smart phone but having a backup is of course smart. both electronic which could fail of course. but with my hunting partner we will have 4 ways of finding our way out.

Garmin fenix 1. Does everything in need and is relatively cheap on eBay. ($75)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
Normally a g-shock Casio, but rolling with my polar v800 this year. Want the GPS, altimeter, and data logging as I am really curious how much mileage I am actually putting in on the hunt.

Hunter6

WKR
I have a suunto traverse. I have used it for right at a year. I have enjoyed it's functions for navigating in the mountains, tracking my distance and elevation on a hunt and tracking my workouts.

---

Follow me on Instagram @hunter_hindman

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
Another plus one for the Casio G-Shock. The time is always accurate and after 5+ years of constant use it seems to be indestructible. I've looked at a lot of new watches but haven't found any reason to get anything else.

Brendan

WKR
Garmin user here. Epix now, but interested in the Fenix 5x as I've got a whole load of REI gift cards waiting to be used.

The only reason I use it - is that I already have it and use it for all of my running / training / workout tracking, so I keep it on my wrist as a backup GPS. Not practical if it's just as a watch / hunting GPS in my opinion. The GPS functionality rarely gets used (I use Gaia as primary) but it's nice to have in case my primary gets lost or broken. And - as a backup, battery life isn't an issue.

WVhillbilly

Lil-Rokslider
I have a suunto traverse. I have used it for right at a year. I have enjoyed it's functions for navigating in the mountains, tracking my distance and elevation on a hunt and tracking my workouts.

---

Follow me on Instagram @hunter_hindman

I got a Traverse Alpha as a gift, I am still tying to figure out how to use all of the functions! You may could give me a lesson or two!