Watches

Tex68w

WKR
I think you can get away with something simple that literally tells just tells time and runs off of a battery and/or solar. Let your hand-held GPS do the mapping, wearing an all-in-one like a Suunto or Garmin is nice, but the screen is small, the GPS isn't as accurate or detailed, and you have to recharge them nearly everyday. I wear a Luminox daily, but I also have an old, beat up Suunto Core, and a few G-Shocks, any of those will get it done. Don't forget Time-X either.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I use an LLBean tritium illuminated basic field watch. I can see it clearly in my sleep and use my GPS or phone for all the fancy stuff. I subscribe to the KISS theory for a watch. I picked it up for $90 on ebay and has served me well for years.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I like something with a viewable face at night like timex's indiglo. I also want an alarm feature on my watch to back up my GPS's alarm so I dont over sleep. currently I am using a casio ABC watch that I picked up at costco for 70 bucks. It has a solar charging face so I don't have to worry about batteries either. I guess thats what I look for in a watch.

xziang

WKR
..... I also want an alarm feature on my watch to back up my GPS's alarm so I dont over sleep. currently I am using a casio ABC watch that I picked up at costco for 70 bucks. .......

You leave your GPS on all night??

I upgraded to a Casio triple sensor watch at Costco too and really like it. (70.00) It has elevation which I did have to calibrate. It has barometer on it an compass but I found the elevation more useful for my purpose than the other features it has.

**edited** I also like the temp on it too however I only believed it when it was off my wrist at night. (nice to know if I was just a candy-ass or if it really was cold out)

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've rocked a 60$ Casio the last 3 seasons and finally had to put a new battery in this year. It's taken a beating and never had troubles with it. Tried and Suunto core and it was bigger than I liked.. and took a rocket scientist to run it. Thinking about trying a Rockwell soon too. The Casio for a watch/alarm/altimeter is my go to right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I do leave it on all night, its a garmin etrex 20. You can put it in a mode that turns off all the features like GPS and it pretty much just runs a digit clock. It uses no battery at all. Ive done 10 day hunts with it like that and used the same batteries the whole trip. As a note I don't run the GPS on all day either, just here and there. The alarm is loud too, which is nice! Ive slept with my hand under the pillow and didnt hear the alarm on my watch once, that was a bummer!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Just purchased the Suunto Traverse about 3 weeks ago so far Im loving it. Time will tell if it holds up and Im curious on battery life in GPS Mode . But its easy to use the OS is simple to navigate. I also found it for a great deal 270$ otherwise I wouldn't of spent 450$ on it.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a momentum titan 3. Has an alarm, comfy leather strap, made of titanium and made in Canada. Before that I used a watch that I got free at McDonald's during the Olympics and it worked pretty well for 3 seasons.

lkwoolsey

WKR
I used to use all those fancy watches, Suunto's and such, but with the advent of handheld GPS and how well they work, the Suunto wrist top computers are, IMO, becoming more obsolete. I use a $30 Timex Ironman. Has an alarm, lights up so i can see it at night, and its pretty much waterproof (I've dunked it, and the rest of me, more than I care to say.) I don't need anything else.

charvey9

WKR
I don't regularly wear a watch, never have. When hunting I find it handy just to have one if I need an alarm clock or need to be someplace by a specific time. I don't get cell service in any of the areas I hunt, so no use carrying a phone. I picked up a $20 walmart special a few years ago and still going strong for me. Tells time, has an alarm. That's all I need.

I am still searching for the perfect watch. The Casio new WSD-F20 are looks cool. I have used and sold Suunto and Garmin watches. POC!

Cgeb

WKR
If your just talking a watch, then Casio G-shock is the way to go. I'm rough on watches the faces usually get scratched up, the bands wear out.

I have had a G-shock as my work watch for a little over a year, pretty much looks like the day I bought it. I think it cost me $48 on Amazon.

The best part is it tells time... I can push a button to see the time at night, has an alarm. Plenty of different models to choose from. Mine is a dark face watch, if I had to do it again, I might try a watch with a white face for a little better day visibility.

ohoopee

WKR
I use the Suunto Traverse also. Im very happy with the lightweight compass and gps on my arm. My application is usually swampy dark undergrowth. Im not sure if I would need it as often if I could see for miles in one direction.

i had a suunto for a while and it constantly needed calibration and was way too complicated for me. i would have to pull the manual out just to figure out how to set an alarm. i have a gshock 5600e now that's been on my wrist everyday for almost a year.

boom

WKR
for hardcore, long term stuff.

i wear my old ass Casio Pathfinder..solar, atomic. it is damn near bombproof. i am not dicking with chargers on a 10 day hunt..no thanks. i have a killer Tudor on my wrist at this second and the first thing on my to-do/pack list tomorrow is to put it in the safe and put on the Pathfinder.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Timex Ironman. I've had it for over 30 years. I don't wear it, I keep it in one of my cargo pockets on my pant leg. But I use the alarm.

jmez

WKR
That depends on what functions you are looking for. I wear the same $30 casio gshock from Wal Mart that I wear every day. I only need it to tell time and the alarm. I'm not an electronics guy so would never take the time or effort to try to figure out all the features of an expensive watch.

Tsnider

WKR
im looking into the Casio line myself. The adrenaline pumping when you know animals are coming in distorts time and I would like to not have to dig into pockets when i want to see how much time has passed. The triple sensor watches seem like they could be really useful if i put the time in to figure one out.