Water Bladder or Bottles

WKR
To the guys running a bladder and a nalgene, what are you doing for purification?
I have a nalgene and a 4L dromlite I was planning on running. I don't have a filter system, just a steripen and aquamira drops. I was thinking of using the drops in the bladder and the steripen in the nalgene.
Does anyone carry dirty water in their bladder and just refill the nalgene for use with the steripen?
Yeah, I run a dirty big bladder and drops for the small one or nalgene I drink out of. That's how we always did it when I was guiding so maybe it's just habit. Interested in how others deal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I run a 3l platypus and a nalgean bottle. I also carry an old water bottle cut in half that my nalgean nests perfectly in. This I use for scooping dirty water. Chlorine-dioxide tabs go in the Platy and a SteriPen is used in the nalgien bottle.

dsclowers

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Sawyer Squeeze set up as a gravity filter to clean my water. Sawyer also sells several adapters that come in very handy.

Adapter 1 -- quick connect to the bladder in my pack. This allows me to connect the output from the dirty water bag & filter to hose on the clean water bladder so I don't even have to take the clean water bladder out of my pack to fill it.

Adapter 2 -- open / close switch so I can run the output from the dirty water bag & filter into my nalgene or cook pot.

Adapter 3 -- quick connect from the filter output to another mouthpiece so I can drink directly from the dirty water bag.

This setup gives me lots of flexibility and if camp is away from the water supply I can use the gravity filter to fill up my clean water bladder and nalgene then fill up the dirty water bladder to carry it all to camp.

This video will give you the basic idea of the setup (not my video). I don't use the carbon filter that this guy describes in the video, just the sawyer. I tried the sawyer mini and the squeeze. I ended up paying the slight weight penalty for the squeeze because i got better flow rate from it.

Sawyer Mini and Platypus Gravity Works gravity filter with DIY carbon filter. - YouTube

Definitely easier and more versatility than the Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter that I was using.

BCSteel

FNG
A 2L bladder for storage and a 1L bottle for drinking. I don't usually go anywhere too dry so it works out good for me.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I run three 1 L nalgene bottles. 2 narrow-mouth, and one wide mouth if I want to make tea, Emergen-C, or something stronger. The two narrow-mouth ones only have water in them because I don't want to worry about cleaning them. I am seriously considering picking up a collapsible liter bottle or two as well if water is scarce. I've used a sea to summit 10L backpacking shower to carry extra water the last time I hunted in a low-water area. I had just filled it up when killed my bull, and it was AWESOME to have that bladder with the shower head hanging in a tree to give my hands and knife a rinse when I was done.
I keep my water bottles in my pack so that I have to stop occasionally and rest. Usually I'm glad I forced myself to stop, rather than just go-go-go. Filling them all the way to the very top so there's no air keeps them from sloshing. The one I'm drinking from gets packed upright in my pack, which seems to keep the noise to a minimum, compared to storing it on its side.

I did find this past year that a small (12?) oz (fist-size) Sprite bottle fits great in a cargo pocket of my pants, so if I want to go super light on a day hunt, I could carry more water by sliding one of these into each pocket.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a 20oz Camelbak eddy bottle that is clear. CamelBak eddy .6 L Water Bottle - Water Bottles & Carriers - Camp Kitchen - Camp & Hike :: CampSaver.com
This goes in my SG Hydro Holster, and carries my energy / hydration mixes. Hydro Holster — Stone Glacier

I then carry two, 1L, collapsible bottles. Amazon.com : Vapur Eclipse Water Bottle : Camping Water Filters : Sports & Outdoors
I only run water in these. These go in the pack or somewhere along the outside depending on how my pack is packed.

For camp water I use either a MSR Dromlite MSR Dromlite Bag (2-6L) - Water Bottles & Carriers - Camp Kitchen - Camp & Hike :: CampSaver.com
a Nalgene Canteen, Nalgene Wide Mouth Canteens - Water Bottles & Carriers - Camp Kitchen - Camp & Hike :: CampSaver.com
or a Platypus Platy Bottle https://goo.gl/7GU4tT
Of the the three the Dromlite has the worst taste, but is the easiest to pack (when full) if we need to haul extra water

Another neat bottle I picked up, for areas I am concerned with filtering, is the Katadyn BeFree Water Filtration bottle. I just got these late in the fall. Worst case scenario they will end up in a go bag, but looking forward to testing these out.
https://goo.gl/snNFm7
We have used the Sawyer Mini Filter system a few times and curious as to how the Katadyn BeFree compares. https://goo.gl/28Q6nO

I ditched the hydration tube quite a while back for hunting / hiking / camping. Hard to beat something like the Camelbak M.U.L.E for Mt biking though, but prefer the bottles for all else. https://goo.gl/mBZCK7

Last edited:
I gave the bladder system a fair shake for a couple years, but didn't like drinking like a gerbil or the hassle of digging it out for refills when I really didn't need too. Went back to a belt mounted hard side bottle. Have a 4L Dromlite if I really need to add capacity, sore a smaller soft bottle for a normal day.

Been liking the tall 48 oz HDPE nalgene this year. About the same weight as a regular nalgene, but 50% more water.

Not knocking bladders, because they have some uses, but for hunting specifically they aren't for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brendan

WKR
I drink a lot of water, and hate finding myself somewhere I have to drop a lot of elevation to fill up. Wyoming this year there wasn't a lot of water up high. Even in archery season - 4L dromlite, and a Nalgene. I may not fill them all the way up if I don't need to, but I carry pre-mixed drink mixes (Hydrate & Recover, Protein Powder, Energy & Focus, Green Infusion) for breakfast / lunch / dinner and don't want that crap in my water bladder.

Don't overlook plastic soda bottles. They come in various sizes (355 ml, 1 liter, 1.5 l, 2 & even 3 l) to fit your needs, durable, cheap, light. To prevent sloshing, you can squeeze them flat, then tighten the lid. Since they are cheap, they are perfect for water caches as well.

TheCougar

WKR
I'm surprised to find myself in the minority here, but I think it is because of where I hunt... which would be the desert. I use a bladder almost exclusively. If I need more water I carry a nalgene. I obviously don't have a freezing problem and I don't think I have ever filtered while i am hunting, because there is nothing for me to filter! I carry aqua mira drops in my essentials kit, but usually the only water I might stumble on is a cattle tank and I would be hard-pressed to drink that water. I have a 100oz camelback bladder and I carry a dromedary if I need extra. I also use a nalgene for camp. I dont use the powders or anything either. It is interesting to see how the folks that are around water rely upon water bottles more because they can carry less water and refill frequently.

TheCougar

WKR
One little nugget I liked is bringing along a Gatorade bottle on a stalk. I have been stuck on a hillside for hours with my pack 100 yards away and no water. I think I might start packing one of those for stalks.

KJH

WKR
One little nugget I liked is bringing along a Gatorade bottle on a stalk. I have been stuck on a hillside for hours with my pack 100 yards away and no water. I think I might start packing one of those for stalks.

Genius... I wish I could remember to bring some with me when you drop the pack. My mind is always on how to close the deal, and I'm not smart enough to remember something as simple as water.

TheCougar

WKR
Genius... I wish I could remember to bring some with me when you drop the pack. My mind is always on how to close the deal, and I'm not smart enough to remember something as simple as water.

Things I regret leaving behind on the final stages of a stalk, after hours of waiting: water, sunblock, aleve, and my friggin boots.

I ran 3 liter camelback bladder for years, paired with a sawyer mini squeeze filter. 3 years ago i switched to a 1 liter Nalgene and still using the squeeze mini for refill. Main reason of the switch is it allowed me camp water to drink from, I could add supplements in the water easier, and easier refill at streams. The first year I was nervous as hell that I would get thirsty and run out of water. In one of my side pockets of my pack I carry my squeeze, and 2-1 liter sawyer water Pouches, so in reality if I was on a ridge with no water I could carry 3 liters. I cut the top off of the 1/2 liter Pouches and carry that to scoup in streams to refill the liter Pouches. For me this system works great. Lots easier to refill don't need to get into my pack for any part of water refill at streams.

Queets30#

Lil-Rokslider
I use 32oz Gatorade jug. Cheap, tough. You can squeeze the air out and put cap on to eliminate the swishing sound.

Flashmo

FNG
I have 5 two and three liter bladders, and a 10 liter Dromedary.

If I try to live off bottles I get dehydrated. Utah in the summer means 10 liters a day for me in the shade. I can go through a 3 liter bag running the brush knife out back for a couple hours (and I am not one of those saturated sweaty shirt guys).