Not so hot....

Polygiene is horrible. I love wearing a short sleeve Sitka shirt as my base layer because its really comfortable and dries extremely fast, but I'm really going to stink bad after breaking a sweat.

Still go back and forth on merino. Still haven't found any that doesn't itch regardless of manufacturer and it sure takes a while to dry. It definitely keeps your smell down though. Aerowool has been an improvement for durability and helps a little with the drying time.

Hmmm from arrows, to broad heads, to packs. We have all tried and tested what works for us. I think for me the biggest $$ spent, not wasted cause I learned a lot thru trial and error, was on arrow shafts. Next was a couple EberleStock packs- great for setting/checking cameras, not for hunting.
I've been fortunate to research pretty well before buying, but early on it was all the various arrow shafts I tried. They were all good and killed big game, but I got caught up in the dual spine, FOC, hype.

I guess it was an investment into my education as a bow hunter.
I never could afford high end stuff so I never really got burnt on the latest and greatest claims.

I recently purchased my first Kifaru frame/pack- hoping to appreciate its versatility in the Colorado and Utah mountains this August/Sept.

In reference to wool durability, I have some Minus33 1/4 zips that I wear every day in the winter. These are four years old, and aside from some fraying in the neck, are still going strong.

That said, these are midweight items. I have not used lightweight wool as an outerwear item and don't expect it would be very durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JigStick

WKR
Ive gotten caught up on high end optics. Spending $3000 on S & B, NF, Zeiss scopes in the past. What a waste of money. Yeah the glass was super crystal clear, but definitely not worth the price premium. As long as the turrets are reliable, and I can see what Im shooting at, ill save the money. My leupolds have been doing fine ever since.

16Bore

WKR
A fella could outfit himself from Walmart and not want for much. "Gear" is very band-wagoney. Just look at the classifieds. Opportunity gets you further. Manufacturers have done a good job selling an image with a jacket. I was looking at Rinella on Facebook and every response is either "hey bud, would love to have a beer" or "what type is coat is that?" If I have the clothing, I can do what he does. And so on.

Overblown.

twall13

WKR
It is interesting seeing what works and doesn't work for different people. Darn Tough socks have been fantastic for me, they stay in place, don't stink, are comfortable, and durable. All of my First Lite gear has held up really well (Corrugate pants, Kanab 2.0, Beanie, Chama, Etc.) with the exception of their liner gloves and the Llano, but even the Llano has been pretty good. I've had it for two seasons and I wear it a lot outside of hunting purposes. It's developed two holes on the body and the thumb holes are starting to show some pretty good wear but I fully expect to get 2-3 more years out of it. That said, my Minus33 merino top feels a bit nicer on the skin and has held up even better (granted it's more in line with the Chama material thickness). I also prefer the collar on the Minus33 over the Llano as the Llano can sometimes rub wrong under a pack. If the Minus33 had thumbholes I'd say goodbye to the Llano. I'm interested in the aerowool QZ top but if the collar is like the Llano I don't know that I'll buy it.

My biggest disappointment hasn't been that bad but it's probably a Vortex Viper rifle scope. It's not their top of the line scope and certainly not a bad budget scope but for the money I like my Nikon Buckmaster scopes better. Plus, since I was an idiot and went with a 50mm objective it required taller bases, which changed my cheek weld and I had to add a riser on the comb, etc. If I could do it again I wouldn't have purchased that scope but you live and learn. My opinion of Vortex has changed with the scope, however, as I certainly feel there are better options out there for the price. Their warranty is great, but quite frankly, I'll probably need to use that warranty at some point (and have).

I don't like the merino zip-neck tees or long johns. Dries way too slow and gets holes way too fast. (Paradox is 10X better for me at a fraction of the cost(co). Never liked the Hoyt Carbon Element bow I had either.

Also had poor luck with the BA UL Flycreek tent. Wouldn't stand up to a side wind and was too small in the foot section when up on an inflatable pad. Also the BA inflatable mattress I had (1#) leaked like a strainer from thousands of holes in the lower section of it. 14 days on the nearly new flat pad and I swore I'll never buy another BA anything!

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
A fella could outfit himself from Walmart and not want for much. "Gear" is very band-wagoney. Just look at the classifieds. Opportunity gets you further. Manufacturers have done a good job selling an image with a jacket. I was looking at Rinella on Facebook and every response is either "hey bud, would love to have a beer" or "what type is coat is that?" If I have the clothing, I can do what he does. And so on.

Overblown.

I was buying ammo at Walmart the other day. I was thinking the opposite when I looked at their clothing. I was like, damn I'm glad I don't have to wear that. It would work, but it would suck. But the reason we started Rokslide wasn't because of the gear at Walmart:) I'm a bandwagon gear junkie and proud of it!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I was buying ammo at Walmart the other day. I was thinking the opposite when I looked at their clothing. I was like, damn I'm glad I don't have to wear that. It would work, but it would suck. But the reason we started Rokslide wasn't because of the gear at Walmart:) I'm a bandwagon gear junkie and proud of it!

I share your same sentiment proud to be a gear head.

cg2737

WKR
I absolutely love FL base layers. But my biggest disappointment has been the boxers, and Alleghenys. They are both very comfortable and warm but the crotches wear out super fast. I sent a pair of boxers back. They replaced them and sent me a coupon for 25% off my next purchase. The warranty and customer service was great but I don't want to have to go through the trouble of sending underwear back in every year.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Lathrop Customized Boot System. Paid a lot of extra dough for what turned out to be a stock boot without any adjustments.

Not looking to start an argument here, but I cannot say enough about not only the service and firsthand knowledge i gained from using Lathrop and sons, but they absolutely solved my problems. I have zero foot issues in the backcountry now. I sure as hell still carry Leuko tape, but I haven't needed it since getting my scarpas. I'm sad to here about your poor experience. Maybe contact them and tell them how displeased you are...James and Stephen are stand up guys. If they didn't get you taken care of I know they'd want to get you squared away. Or at least that's what I've gotten from many loooooooong talks with the ever so long winded James!

For me it was using a quilt,after one trip I sold it.

I think after the hundreds of quilt reviews it seems they are only for the toss and turners and the hot sleepers. Seeing as I am both of these, I love my quilt. Maybe we should make a quilt thread explicitly describing the pros and cons. I've read quite a few, "thinking about taking the plunge" threads. But it seems it's always "pro quilt." Granted guys like me chiming in probably doesn't help, nevertheless I sure as hell LOVE the weight savings and function-ability it brings into my sleep system.

I too regret the eberle pack. Hung like a brick.

I cannot stress the eberlestock thing enough either. It's a GREAT pack for a scouting trip. No loads over 40#. As soon as you get over that I felt like I was back in middle school with my jansport loaded with every single textbook i owned because I'd missed a week of school out "sick" chasing mr. Fluffy Whitetail. I suppose packs and tents are the same...as in they're all like golf clubs. You need a different one for each situation you put yourself in...as for packs I dropped a pretty penny on a brand spankin' new Barney's Pinnacle and freighter frame and haven't looked back. I can throw my old lady, her suitcase and the kitchen sink in that thing. "If it fits it ships!"

KurtR

WKR
The piece of gear that disappointed me the most was probably the plastic wonder bread sacks i had to use to keep my feet dry in my snow boots as a kid i thought being wet and cold was how every one did it. I didnt pay anything for it but it sure makes me appreciate the gear i have now. Eberelestock was pretty bad but i should have known better as i asked on here and got told but thought i was tougher or smarter turns out im not just stubborn and tight.

16Bore

WKR
It's called a "Just One" because that's how many times you put it on before you sell it.

Ive gotten caught up on high end optics. Spending $3000 on S & B, NF, Zeiss scopes in the past. What a waste of money. Yeah the glass was super crystal clear, but definitely not worth the price premium. As long as the turrets are reliable, and I can see what Im shooting at, ill save the money. My leupolds have been doing fine ever since.

There's a lot of truth here. I'm sure I've spent probably more than I should have on rifle scopes and, I really do like the one Swaro scope that I have, but all my real long range viewing is through my spotter and when it comes to showtime, I really don't need a $2000 scope on my rifle.

elkyinzer

WKR
My biggest issue with floorless shelters is the bugs. I didn't buy the nest with my Pentalite and it's a little rough in the summer.

Biggest disappointment/overrated...Lone Wolf treestands. Bought the one with the hand climber, tried it 3 or 4 times in my backyard, sold it and ran back crying into my Summit's arms. Felt like I was bouncing on a trampoline with that rubber cable LW uses.

I've bought a couple hang-on treestands over the years and they collect dust. I'm a real sissy when it comes to heights and I just can't hang them without having a heart attack. They just aren't for me.

ScottinPA

WKR
My biggest issue with floorless shelters is the bugs. I didn't buy the nest with my Pentalite and it's a little rough in the summer.

Biggest disappointment/overrated...Lone Wolf treestands. Bought the one with the hand climber, tried it 3 or 4 times in my backyard, sold it and ran back crying into my Summit's arms. Felt like I was bouncing on a trampoline with that rubber cable LW uses.

I've bought a couple hang-on treestands over the years and they collect dust. I'm a real sissy when it comes to heights and I just can't hang them without having a heart attack. They just aren't for me.

Another example of what works for one guy doesn't for another. I bought my LW climber 15+ years ago and love it. One change I did is added ALICE pack straps and belt to it. Makes hauling the stand and daypack and heavy clothes a lot easier.

If you want to part with the hang-ons, I may be interested.

sr80

WKR
great thread...probably the most over hyped thing ive bought is kuiu nuyarn merino. That stuff has to be the roughest feeling merino baselayer ive ever worn.

Not looking to start an argument here, but I cannot say enough about not only the service and firsthand knowledge i gained from using Lathrop and sons, but they absolutely solved my problems. I have zero foot issues in the backcountry now. I sure as hell still carry Leuko tape, but I haven't needed it since getting my scarpas. I'm sad to here about your poor experience. Maybe contact them and tell them how displeased you are...James and Stephen are stand up guys. If they didn't get you taken care of I know they'd want to get you squared away. Or at least that's what I've gotten from many loooooooong talks with the ever so long winded James!

No arguments starting - I agree they are a wealth of knowledge. Heck they are the ones that told me the Kuiu boots were never going to work no matter what I did so I punted. They got me in a pair of Lowa Tech Lites that aren't perfect but it maybe I am just not used to those kind of boots. I have walked miles in them without any issue, bliters, etc. A little snug if just lounging around camp. Not really worth the hassle to me to send back for adjustment. Was in no way trying to bash the guys - it was just a "Not so hot" purchase as I could have just bought the boots without the customization fee and been in the same place.

twall13

WKR
great thread...probably the most over hyped thing ive bought is kuiu nuyarn merino. That stuff has to be the roughest feeling merino baselayer ive ever worn.
I had the same impression with their nuyarn zip off long johns but I don't have enough time in them to know if I like them or not. They certainly aren't as nice against the skin as First Lite's aerowool.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk