Not so hot....

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great thread, interesting to see opposite experiences on the same gear. Just goes to show how different we all are.
For example, First Lite Boxers. Been running them for several years, no issues. But, I only run them when in the field.
Also, Sitka's Polygiene. Has been pretty good for me, much less stink than other synthetics. Its not totally scent free, but its noticeably better than untreated synthetics. I used to like a light weight wool T as my base upper layer, but the wet wool smell got old. Now I can get away with 2 light weight Polygiene Ts and it works for me.

I think printed merino wool is not as good as non printed. The non printed feels softer and seems to last longer.

I really liked my Lowa Bighorn boots, and they fit awesome the first 2 seasons, but man did they wear terrible. Soles are pretty shredded and I practically get blisters just looking at them now. Not sure this is a bust per se, but definitely disappointing.

Vortex rifle scopes and spotters have not impressed me. I'm no optic expert, but they always seen be like one turn away from fully focussed. Have had decent luck with their Red Dot scopes though. They are fun and a great buy, especially on a sale.

Darn Tough socks are a mixed bag for me, they make to many different models and once they have been worn for a while its hard to remember which model worked and which one didn't. I need to take better notes..... One model works really well for me, the other not so much. First Lite's merino are much better, but after about two seasons of wear they need to be replaced.

.....Also, Sitka's Polygiene. Has been pretty good for me, much less stink than other synthetics. Its not totally scent free, but its noticeably better than untreated synthetics.

Same here. Compared to older style poly, it's far less like like to develop the stink. No issue at all using it for 5-6 days in a row. Might depend on body chemistry though.

My issue with the current "Core" stuff is that it's not very stretchy. Can't push it up past my elbows, which is highly annoying when I need to say, get my hands bloody. Otherwise fine stuff. Not quite as comfortable against the skin as wool (to me), but dries much faster.

Other major loser I've had was Kenetrek boots. They fit my feet great but I trashed three sets in four years. CS was great and they kept sending me new ones, but when the soles started to detach from the last set about the same time they started leaking at the heal... I just gave up and tossed them. Lots of miles left in the leather and rubber, but I just couldn't get them to hold together.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where does one start? Thank god for classifieds.............

Many, many years ago........electric socks.
Stoney point bipods.......pieces of junk.
Any kind of scent control...........years ago running around with wafers on head.
Danner boots......

Man, who brought this topic up?????

Randy

Where does one start? Thank god for classifieds.............

Many, many years ago........electric socks.
Stoney point bipods.......pieces of junk.
Any kind of scent control...........years ago running around with wafers on head.
Danner boots......

Man, who brought this topic up?????

Randy

Hey Randy, do you need a set of gently used, Rivers West rain gear? I am prepared to give you a smoking hot deal! Oh, I'll even throw in free shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

16Bore

WKR
I could barely get my arms in any Kuiu top. Which is surprising because the owner looks pretty stout. I think they sent China large, not Americsn large.

mlucashr

FNG
Not looking to start an argument here, but I cannot say enough about not only the service and firsthand knowledge i gained from using Lathrop and sons

Couldn't agree more. Had major problems with top of foot pain. Tried all kinds of boots. They set me up with Lowa tibets, love them but little heavy for all around so I also have a lighter Lowa from them as well. They have a shoe store side (different company). I'm on ladders all day but would like to have some tennis shoes to work in; they found me a set of stiff soles tenni runners and worked in some custom insoles in an extra wide and I couldn't help but wish I had 5 more pairs! Also, wife have terrible bunions; and constant plantar fasciitis. They talked for hours with her on the phone. Stephen, his brother and father trying to help her out. Ultimately they found some different options that they didn't even carry and had her go somewhere else to buy them. Their customer service is top notch, and they are really passionate about what they do. I can talk to those guys for hours about hunting. Really good guys. Quality products!!!

Also, consider this...really in today's retail world we buy everything online. When was the last time it ever you got your feet measured. When I was a little kid footlocker did it every time. I would guess that most guys don't need custom boots made. But that they just need to be told what size boot they need based on measurements and not what they THINK fits.

boom

WKR
what's amazing is the amount of push back if you dont like something..

you tried..it didnt work, you move on. some folks think you disrespected them at some biblical level or something.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
what's amazing is the amount of push back if you dont like something..

you tried..it didnt work, you move on. some folks think you disrespected them at some biblical level or something.

You are absolutely right! The opposite issue is equally frustrating... the guy that bashes some gear and has never used it.

Neither helps the conversation.

16Bore

WKR
I wonder how people were able to buy things before Internet forums?

Packs have been my number 1 regret/learning curve. Started out with a Garbage Eberlstock that when loaded hung over my ass like I had two beer guts, so I switched it up to a Kuiu Icon with the pivoting Hip belt and never killed a dam thing because it squeaked every step of the way, and all the straps loosened up on me every 5 minutes. Its a dam good thing I never killed anything with it and had to pack out meat because then it probably would have broken lol... Great Clothing terrible packs

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Randy, do you need a set of gently used, Rivers West rain gear? I am prepared to give you a smoking hot deal! Oh, I'll even throw in free shipping.

Greg, it doesn't rain here........cause it is snowing. Man, it just won't end.

Randy

Attachments

• 20170225_094212.jpg
    20170225_094212.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 192

Akicita

WKR
Not So Hot

Popeil Pocket Fisherman

"But wait, there's more!"

Slap Chop

Sham Wow

Kuiu Attack Pants

16Bore

WKR
I'd take a Popeil Pocket Fisherman! Holy crap they were fun.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wonder how people were able to buy things before Internet forums?

I'd go a step further and just say "before the internet". There's so much information these days it makes it hard to not make decent choices on stuff.

I can remember in high school when all we had was catalogs and the info provided in those catalogs. I remember ordering a compound bow when I was 15. Even then my draw length was probably close to 32 1/2" but I had no idea what I was doing or ordering, just knew I wanted to shoot a bow. What a disaster.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
Vasque Mens Breeze 2.0 GTX boots. I've always had good luck with Vasque boots in the past but these are aweful.

vanish

WKR
I know UA gets a ton of flack around here, but I have two UA stories.

I bought some UA base layers 12 years ago and they're still incredible. A few holes in the crotch, but still keep my temperature regulated and don't stink a bit even after a whole week. I haven't gone to merino on them yet because they're still going strong. I liked mine so much I bought my wife what I thought were the same UA base layers about 5 years ago (before I read about Merino). Completely different material and isn't nearly as good. I often wonder how many people got the same kind of UA base layer as I did vs my wife. I'm convinced they built their brand on good materials, then once they got a following, shifted to selling garbage.

Elk Mountain Slip System - I was looking for a decoy for elk and pronghorn, and this seemed innovative. And it IS really neat. In addition to being a changeable decoy, you can use it as a monopod for your rifle or camera, as an umbrella or as a trekking pole. Unfortunately, I feel like it fails as a decoy in 95% of situations because it has the wrong silhouette. You really need to be in brushy terrain for it to work as a decoy and you need to have plenty of time to put it place. I don't have time to be futzing with one in that situation, and its far too noisy to use while on the move.

I still have it, and I even still use it, but not for decoying.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
UA cold gear with infered. The greyish grid pattern supposed to reflect body heat. It just rubbed off and washed off, thought it was gimmicky anyway. The material was heavy and suffocating. Felt like wearing a five pound trash bag full of sweat.

xziang

WKR
Floorless 'shaped' tarp for me. Still like the idea but one I bought I just couldn't get it set up and was a PITA. Tried it a couple times at home with nice soft ground and thought if I'm in the mountains with rocks and such this will be twice as hard. Sold it. (just use my MSR with the rainfly and ground cloth if I want to shed some weight) Still might look for a 'normal' square light emergency tarp.

EberleBlu: that pack was not fun when loaded at 55lbs hurt the neck area and just couldn't get it to fit right. Have since upgraded and the Eberle now serves as my whitetail pack for it is very easy to carry the ground blind on it and a small mr buddy heater when necessary. :) Not used for over 1.5mile walks.