Backcountry Water Filtration System

Benjblt

WKR
So I'm hoping to get some advise on what everybody has had good luck using as a water filtration system. I hunt Oregon mostly and would be using it more on the East side in, say, the Eagle Caps. I just purchased the Platypus Gravity Works. Mostly because my wife gave me permission and I thought I better take advantage :) I've been looking at the Gravity filters as the my first choice. Is there one that is better than the other. I thought that the Platypus would go well with a Platypus water bladder for my pack. I thought it would work nice as well with the "dirty" and the "clean" resiviors. I could filter one round into a bladder and then fill the dirty bladder up again, either filter it or leave it, and then pack it back to camp for some extra water storage.

I did notice that it doesn't filter viruses. I don't think that is necessary in Oregon but I suppose I don't know that for sure. It would be nice to use as a back up at home in case of a disaster.

Any advice? Is there a better gravity filter out there? should I even use a gravity filter (I should have trees most places I go)?

I use chlorine dioxide tablets. No bad taste, kills everything, weigh next to nothing.

As a backup, in case the only water I can find is really nasty, I bring a Sawyer squeeze filter.

I started out using an MSR mini works and a few years back switched to a sawyer mini squeeze. I have iodine tabs as well, but haven't had a need for them.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
A lot of you are saying Sawyer mini. Can you take that much water from the water source with you when using this system? Do you just put dirty water with you and then drink directly from that dirty water with the Sawyer as an inline filter, filtering as you drink?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Your platypus gravity system will work great. Lightweight, effective and gravity as a general rule is cheap and reliable. :). I bought a large Katadyn gravity feed based on Stid2677's experience and love it. Your Platypus works similarly and is lighter. I also have a sawyer mini. I tried running it in-line and didn't like it. Many guys do. I still use the squeeze but use a dirty bag and filter it into my bladder.

Last edited:

TJ

WKR
I prefer the Katadyn also. I've used the sawyer and it worked fine.
There are times when the water sources are fairly small or shallow and I find it easier to use a pump as opposed to trying to dip the water out.

Your current set up should work fine though.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Thanks for the help. I feel like the gravity filter would work better when hunting for multiple days and when camp is a little way from water. I'm a little concerned about find a convenient tree from which to hang it but my largest concern is finding a good water source deep enough to retrieve the water.

I love the hiker pro as well. I do keep a sawyer mini around just in case (along with drops) in an emergency kit.

Tsnider

WKR
i had the MSR mini works and its just heavy, but works awesome.

last year i used the sawyer mini inline with a bladder and didnt like it.
gets clogged and you have to try too hard to get a drink while huffing and puffing at 11000 feet. but found at camp it worked well as a gravity system just hanging it.

this year i scored a brand new steripen off craigslist for really cheap, and ill be carrying a 10liter bladder for camp with the sawyer. i always carry a few tablets for emergencies and getting back to the truck.

im on the bandwagon now of using a nalgene instead of a full bladder. here in colorado there is almost always water nearby, but at camp its nice to let gravity do its thing. also the advantage of it over a steripen is the water will have less floaties. the 10l bladder i can leave out all day in the sun and wash the stink off if i want to, have water for cooking, so on. we will see how it works for the year.

Tsnider

WKR
Thanks for the help. I feel like the gravity filter would work better when hunting for multiple days and when camp is a little way from water. I'm a little concerned about find a convenient tree from which to hang it but my largest concern is finding a good water source deep enough to retrieve the water.

yeah i ran into this last year. using a nalgene or bladder it became a hassle. the guy who makes the little buck saw also makes titanium trowels i may end up buying for ease of digging out a spot to fill water. his trowels weight like .5 ounces and of course could be used to clean out the stove, bury waste, and im sure other uses as well. theyre kind of pricey but thats how it goes.

tttoadman

WKR
A lot of you are saying Sawyer mini. Can you take that much water from the water source with you when using this system? Do you just put dirty water with you and then drink directly from that dirty water with the Sawyer as an inline filter, filtering as you drink?
I always have my 4L bag with me, and sometimes both if they are empty. I will filter to clean and carry only clean water. If the area demands more diligence with water, I will fill up the 1L sawyer bag and carry that one dirty, and filter into my 4L when I have room.

I have never tried to use a sawyer mini inline. I would imagine it would be like trying to suck a golf ball through a straw.

For those of you that are using the hiker pro, are you doing any other type of filtration/sterilization (aquamira or something similar) before drinking or do you just pump into your nalgene/bladder and call it good?

rodney482

WKR
Not above 6000' and running water.

For those of you that are using the hiker pro, are you doing any other type of filtration/sterilization (aquamira or something similar) before drinking or do you just pump into your nalgene/bladder and call it good?

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Platy gravity works is a great filter, as is the Sawyer squeeze. I use both for backcountry hunts.

If you weight the filtering element, the Sawyer squeeze and the platy gravity works are nearly identical in weight. In my experience the Sawyer's tend to clog up a little faster, but they work well and are light. With the gravity works you can take just the dirty water bag, filter and a short piece of tubing to cut the weight and size and I've found that to work really well on backcountry hunts. The biggest advantage of the Platy gravityworks is you can do a gravity filter and not have to squeeze, pump, etc. The only downside of the Sawyer is that if you're hunting later in the season, you have to make sure the filtering element does not freeze, or its toast.