Favorite cheap gear

I've had good luck with dryer lint and paraffin wax.

Just a word of caution, in order for this to work a good portion of the clothes used to produce the drier lint should be cotton. My problem is that 90% of my clothes are synthetic and I tried using drier lint once and it wouldn't stay lit.

trom2k

FNG
Just a word of caution, in order for this to work a good portion of the clothes used to produce the drier lint should be cotton. My problem is that 90% of my clothes are synthetic and I tried using drier lint once and it wouldn't stay lit.

Good point, thanks COlineman. Most of the clothes in my house are cotton (two kiddos) so works for me. Could sub cotton balls for lint I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Energizer head lamp that won't die. I keep hoping it will so I can have the excuse to upgrade it but the damn thing just keeps on keeping on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Energizer head lamp that won't die. I keep hoping it will so I can have the excuse to upgrade it but the damn thing just keeps on keeping on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have one too, 9 years still going. I upgraded for more lumens, another energizer 😃

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tried the lint thing, big mistake it was 60% Golden retriever hair, stank like hell

charvey9

WKR
Neoprene Ankle Socks - Great for camp shoes/slippers and crossing streams.
Very Light Seight Camp Travel Shoe for Men-Gofastandlight.com

Ultralight Pen Fishing Rod Combo - These are great for little trout streams and alpine lakes. At less than $20 I bought a couple and keep them stashed in empty beef jerky containers with a few lures near the streams and lakes where I hunt and scout elk. Keep one in my truck also.
worlds small pen fishing rod light backpack red-Gofastandlight.com

Luci Inflatable Solar Lantern - Picked one of these up last year and great for lighting up your shelter, camp, truck bed...whatever. Leave it ouside to recharge during the day and you'll always have a light source.
Luci Original - MPOWERD, Inc.

LuminAID Solar Lantern - Going to give these a try this year, so can't comment on performance. I like the square design a little better, and looks like it will have more hanging options than the Luci. Also 1.5oz lighter than the Luci.
LuminAID PackLite 16 | Solar Light - LuminAID Lab

Mini Carabiners - I have 5 or 6 of these in my pack at all times. Great for hanging water bladder, bottles, and miscellaneous gear from your pack or shelter.
Zpacks Ultralight Backpacking Gear - Mini Carabiners

Light Load Pack Towels - I have seriously been using one of these for 3 years now, and shows no signs of giving up. I have even ran it through the washing machine a few times. I now carry 2 in my pack in different colors. One for washing my face and stuff, and the other for more disgusting camp jobs. At $2 you just can't go wrong.
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/towel.shtml

Vargo ULV Spork - Just because its cool to have a titanium spork that weighs 1/3 of an ounce...and only $12.
https://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-spork-ulv.html#prod-3

Ruta Locura Titanium Grill - Works great for fish, small game, or other small cuts of meat. I'll get my fire going then dig a little pit next to the fire that the grill fits over. Leave an opening on one side of the pit so you can keep scooping hot coals under the grill for cooking. Add a little garlic salt and pepper and you've got some slow roasted fine cuisine on the mountain.
http://rutalocura.com/Ti_Grills.html

Last edited:

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coghlan's Squeeze Tubes 2-Pack - One for PB and one for Jelly, easy to clean & reload, tough as nails so far.

Bic Mini Lighters - Take two, they're small.

Baby Wipes - the 99% water ones, they'll irritate your skin way less.

Leukotape or even just athletic tape, I won't even do a two day trip without it.

Super glue - world's best first aid kit IMO

Fibega Outdoor Toothbrush or similar style

Ben's 100 MAX bug dope - stops black and red gnats that swarm the sheep hills

Bore Snake - I've had electrical tape get pulled off in thick brush, it's really nice to be able to clean your barrel for a 1 oz penalty.

Tenacious Tape

Black contractor trash bags - I take two, always.

Cotton bandana, usually two. Too many uses to list.

Two 3mil contractor bags.

Microfiber sunglasses sock. Along with protecting the sunglasses I also use it as my lense cleaner.

TheCougar

WKR
Schemagh. Its a game changer for glassing and general utility.
Tenacious tape.
Sunscreen roll-ons (almost looks like a little stick of deodorant) so I don't get my hands all smelly and greasy.
My drug bag: mix of aleve, Tylenol, Advil, sleep aid, Benadryl, Percocet, and Imodium.
Latex gloves.

robtattoo

WKR
Tenacious tape.
Sunscreen roll-ons (almost looks like a little stick of deodorant) so I don't get my hands all smelly and greasy.
My drug bag: mix of aleve, Tylenol, Advil, sleep aid, Benadryl, Percocet, and Imodium.
Latex gloves.
Looking at your drug bag, plus latex gloves......we ain't camping together!

Sent from a mountain somewhere, using telepathy.

The best dryer lint for this comes from doing a load of bath towels. Jeans and T-shirts are good too. My kids collect it. It kinda drives my wife nutty that the kids are meticulously cleaning every fiber out of the dryer lint trap and stuffing it into a ziplock. "Mom! This is the quality lint! We gotta save this!" I'm glad that they're getting rid of a fire hazard and thinking ahead to going on a trip.

wildcat33

WKR
A square piece of Thermarest Z_Lite pad cut into a 14"x14" square. Its amazing how much longer and more comfortable you can sit and glass with a thin piece of foam under you. Also, weighs nothing. Clutch in the snow, wet, or thorny conditions.

Side note, a piece of thermarest cut into a half moon and taped to your rifle stock also makes a nice cheek riser for us thin faced fellows.

Tenacious tape.
Latex gloves.

Where and what kind of schemagh are we talking about? I'm a wuss or a cold person or something and would love something like that but not cotton.

TheCougar

WKR
Where and what kind of schemagh are we talking about? I'm a wuss or a cold person or something and would love something like that but not cotton.

The ones I have are cashmere (or so they said). I got them in Afghanistan. They are better for wind and sun than cold weather (at least the ones I have). They are almost see through. If I double it up it will protect from wind a little bit.

bhylton

WKR
cut fatwood into pencil sized pieces then carry that along with a little manual pencil sharpener. the fatwood shavings it makes are unreal for fire starter...